Penn vs Diego Aug 25

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Penn vs Diego Aug 25
Next Page »
awechet
7/4/07 5:59:22AM
Seems pretty quick for Penn to fight so soon but I guess better for him since he's still in shape Ihttp://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8155
Trapt1nw0nder
7/4/07 6:20:56AM
its gonna be a good match up,and a very tough fight for both

hope BJ pulls it off
Northrend
7/4/07 6:34:17AM
BJ Penn by sub round 2

Diego is gona get overwhelmed by BJ's BJJ..if he can even take BJ down.
grappler0000
7/4/07 6:39:32AM
I see Penn boxing him up and choking him with a gogo
thelastking
7/4/07 7:32:57AM
Yeah i think Penn is going to have a pretty easy time. If it stays standing then Penn is going to outstrike him and if somehow Diego gets it to the ground then BJ will be able to at the very least defend anything Diego has on the ground.
Tons33
7/4/07 7:35:52AM
This fight should be real interesting. You have total opposite fighter especially with their mentality. BJ is always calm and collectted and diego relies on his intensity. Should be great. This is the beginning of the return to the top for BJ. Really looks like he may have reinvented himself.
xchickox
7/4/07 9:12:53AM
sanchez by g n p in round 2
nate22
7/4/07 9:24:10AM
Much too close to call in my opinion. Diego will struggle to take BJ down, I think they are pretty much equal on their feet, with Diego having the better GnP, BJ with the better submission set. Probably the best possible match up in the division at the moment.

Something tells me this will see Fitch waiting even longer for a shot, but i'm not going to weep due to the prospects of this fight.
johny_rotten
7/4/07 9:30:46AM
BJ is stupid if this report is true. He has a title shot at 155, and he is going to give up to fight the 5th ranked UFC WW. I am a huge BJ fan, but I don't want to see him fight at WW. I would love to see him claim the LW belt then move up to WW.
AchillesHeel
7/4/07 9:46:50AM

Posted by nate22

Diego will struggle to take BJ down, I think they are pretty much equal on their feet, with Diego having the better GnP, BJ with the better submission set. Probably the best possible match up in the division at the moment.

I agree, mostly. However, I think BJ's standup is light-years ahead of Diego's. Penn was the first person to ever beat up GSP and, unlike Serra, there's really no grounds for calling it a fluke. If Diego had BJ's standup, he would have defeated Koscheck pretty easily.

Diego has better GnP, but that's only because BJ doesn't use GnP to finish people, he uses it set up a submission. I see Diego losing this matchup in every phase: Standup, Clinch, Takedowns, Grappling.

If Diego is "the old Diego", he'll be the more aggressive fighter and has a chance to put BJ on the defensive and take the initiative; and if BJ is "the old BJ", Diego will have the edge in stamina, and a long fight will favor him and he could win a Decision.

Diego's only realistic chance to win is to do what GSP did, only without getting his ass kicked in the first round: Press the attack, take the fight to the ground, hope that his submission defense is up to the job, use his wrestling to win takedowns and keep position, use his superior conditioning to wear BJ down, and get the Decision. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

However, if Diego hasn't rediscovered The Fire and fights like he fought Koscheck, BJ will push him around and beat him up like he beat up GSP; and if BJ has improved his conditioning, a long fight will actually help him, if only by virtue of giving him more time to end the fight with a submission.
AmericanFighterAce
7/4/07 10:34:06AM
This match is going to be incredible, Deigo Sanchez has a similiar game to Matt Hughes who in which BJ arguably has beaten 2 times (1 for sure and he gased out in the third when he was winning) so that might wear out BJ Penn. I think Deigo can get him down and Ground and Pound him but I think when Deigo goes for a punch BJ will lock in a armbar and tap Deigo.
This is stupid on UFC's terms because they need to rise Deigo back up to populairity, and he is already at one loss, why make him have back to back losses.
Stupid..

But i hope Deigo tears the crap out of BJ.
nate22
7/4/07 11:03:02AM
Achilles, when I have spread my props, there's some coming back to you for a brilliant post.
cincyassasin
7/4/07 11:10:55AM
BJ, if he remains in the condition we just saw him in, will dominate this fight with ease, Diego will have no answer and suffer his second loss.
housecat57
7/4/07 11:15:18AM
its gonna be a tough fight for both of them but if BJ doesnt mess up he will pull it off
Rush
7/4/07 11:32:39AM

Posted by Northrend

BJ Penn by sub round 2

Diego is gona get overwhelmed by BJ's BJJ..if he can even take BJ down.

This will be Diego's biggest problem. His bread and butter is his GnP. Can't really utilize that if you can't take the guy down.

I'm thinking this one will go the distance with Penn dominating standup and groundwork will be even (Diego is no slouch on the ground)

The only way I see Diego winning is hoping Penn loses energy by round three and Diego picks up the tempo. But I doubt that will happen.
aceprone
7/4/07 12:05:31PM
I am stoked about this fight. This is a fight I have been waiting for this fight ever since Diego beat Karo. A unique clash of ju jitsu. Can Diego's ju jitsu be good enough to defend against BJ's style?

One thing I don't see Diego doing in this fight is trying to take down BJ, everyone knows how difficult that can be. What I see Diego trying to do is to let BJ take him down and Diego trying to go for his sweeps or pull guard and attempt sweeps. He has some of the best reversals in the game.

And another interesting factor to watch in this fight, is that with BJ suppossibly changing is life to a more healthier one, according to the interview on the Beatdown, can it still match Diego's fighting pace. BJ is more a calm slow pace fighter on the ground, but could that be a negative factor when facing Diego's pace on the ground.

On the feet, BJ is completely superior and I hope Diego wants none of it. Diego has got to take it to the ground. But Diego can probably withstand BJ's standup punishment.

I like the matchup and can't wait to see it.
Stickan
7/4/07 12:14:02PM

Posted by nate22

Much too close to call in my opinion. Diego will struggle to take BJ down, I think they are pretty much equal on their feet, with Diego having the better GnP, BJ with the better submission set. Probably the best possible match up in the division at the moment.

Something tells me this will see Fitch waiting even longer for a shot, but i'm not going to weep due to the prospects of this fight.

I agree. I won't bet on this fight that's for sure. Sanchez has been incredibly underrated since his Koscheck-loss. He fought that fight with a staph infection and Kos is a very good fighter and bad match-up for someone like Diego.
hippysmacker
7/4/07 1:04:37PM
I actually want to see this fight more than Snachez/Sakarai. Diego's first 2 fight's against great grapplers were awesome.
MisFiT
7/4/07 3:17:09PM
Eeeeh. BJ by Decision.
Naturaldisaster
7/4/07 3:37:11PM
I think this is goin to be a great fight, tough for both fighters. I think diego will take penn down a few times. I see penn winning 3rd round though with a triangle
Ydoc
7/4/07 4:55:29PM

Posted by Stickan
I agree. I won't bet on this fight that's for sure. Sanchez has been incredibly underrated since his Koscheck-loss. He fought that fight with a staph infection and Kos is a very good fighter and bad match-up for someone like Diego.

I dunno man, it seems like Diego is either on or off, and he was off against Kos and John Alessio. I think he'll be motivated for this one though.

These guys fit together like puzzle pieces. BJ has great sprawl, great subs, and good stand up, while Diego has great conditioning, great takedowns, and decent stand up. Really looking forward to this match... thinking BJ will pull it out. I'm just hoping he goes up (to WW) by adding muscle instead of fat.
Ultimate_fighter
7/4/07 4:59:15PM

Posted by grappler0000

I see Penn boxing him up and choking him with a gogo

accept i think that he will catch him in a armbar or triangle...
keith-hackney1
7/4/07 5:03:02PM

Posted by awechet

Seems pretty quick for Penn to fight so soon but I guess better for him since he's still in shape Ihttp://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8155

Diego is no match for penn, i see this match up being over whenever bj wants to end it !!!!!!!!!!
pharside
7/4/07 8:54:23PM
I see Diego being too pumped up for this fight just like his last and by the time the fight starts being gassed. I see BJ owning him anyway he wants. he's light years ahead of Diego and 99% of the world.
Trapt1nw0nder
7/4/07 9:04:44PM
BJ just reported that him fighting Diego at UFC 75 was a false report.

so i dont think this fight will happen..

Source.. Sherdog.com homepage
LightsOut33093
7/4/07 10:28:07PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by nate22

Diego will struggle to take BJ down, I think they are pretty much equal on their feet, with Diego having the better GnP, BJ with the better submission set. Probably the best possible match up in the division at the moment.

I agree, mostly. However, I think BJ's standup is light-years ahead of Diego's. Penn was the first person to ever beat up GSP and, unlike Serra, there's really no grounds for calling it a fluke. If Diego had BJ's standup, he would have defeated Koscheck pretty easily.

Diego has better GnP, but that's only because BJ doesn't use GnP to finish people, he uses it set up a submission. I see Diego losing this matchup in every phase: Standup, Clinch, Takedowns, Grappling.

If Diego is "the old Diego", he'll be the more aggressive fighter and has a chance to put BJ on the defensive and take the initiative; and if BJ is "the old BJ", Diego will have the edge in stamina, and a long fight will favor him and he could win a Decision.

Diego's only realistic chance to win is to do what GSP did, only without getting his ass kicked in the first round: Press the attack, take the fight to the ground, hope that his submission defense is up to the job, use his wrestling to win takedowns and keep position, use his superior conditioning to wear BJ down, and get the Decision. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

However, if Diego hasn't rediscovered The Fire and fights like he fought Koscheck, BJ will push him around and beat him up like he beat up GSP; and if BJ has improved his conditioning, a long fight will actually help him, if only by virtue of giving him more time to end the fight with a submission.

BJ never beat GSP...GSP won their only fight by split decision
Trapt1nw0nder
7/4/07 10:33:20PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by nate22

BJ never beat GSP...GSP won their only fight by split decision

He said "Beat up"...not just "beat"

BJ did beat up GSP the first round till GSP LnP on him the rest of the way to win

and yes...he was the first to beat GSP up like that on the feet
johny_rotten
7/4/07 11:51:47PM
The GSP/BJ fight still pisses me off! I remember sherdog did an interview with GSP from the ER. He had an IV, tubes in his nose, and both eyes were swollen shut. UFC.com did an interview with BJ that he left because he wanted to go to the after party. You tell me who won that fight. I give GSP the 3rd, but that is it. The 2nd is where the judges screwed up. They scored a take down at the very end of the round more than the scored BJ's take down, and about 5 very hard strikes to GSP's head.

Moving on...I am so glad to see BJ's camp hasn't made their mind up about this. Yes BJ and Diego would make a good fight, but what is in it for BJ. If he stays at LW he is the #1 contender, and gets a title shot before the end of the year. At WW Matt vs Serra doesn't happen till Dec, so there will be no title shot till at best Feb or March. Not to mention even if he defeats Diego he could still not get rewarded with a title shot if GSP defeats Kos. Please BJ take out Sherk or Franca, and wait till mid 2008 and be the first fighter in the UFC to hold two belts.
Ultimate_fighter
7/5/07 1:16:22AM
too bad this fight aint happening anymore:(.... I am getting so mad, i hate it when there is a fight then they cancel it or when someone is doing this when their not.... im getting sick of it...
J-Platinum
7/5/07 2:40:56AM
The fantasy camp portion of this site has it still listed as part of the UFC 74 card but UFC doesn't have it listed anywhere. I'm sure Diego probably came to his senses and bailed out. BJ should at least take his title shot at 155 before moving back to 170. I think he really has a chance to win the belt and show the li'l guys how to fight.
Pages: [1] 2