Penn: Defend at LW or fight GSP

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Penn: Defend at LW or fight GSP
VictimSix
5/25/08 9:42:34PM
I'd love to see Bj/GSP 2 for the ww title. I think Bj is at the point where he could put away Gsp. I'd like to see how Bj's new jab would effect Gsp. So what do you guys want to see next from Bj a fight with Ken flo/Huerta orGSP?
aaa9erh8er
5/25/08 10:06:06PM
i do not wanna see bj at WW. hes a in shape lightweight that can and wioll dominate the div(unless N diaz comes back) if he moves up gsp destroys him.i feel if your the champ of a div weither it be Ww MW or LHW respect your title and defend it in your div but thats my opinon....................... now if bj is to loose his title and wants to come up to WW for good id love to see the rematch
Mchubb316
5/25/08 10:28:20PM
I like him at LW. He looks good, and I don't see him losing to any current UFC LW. BJ is a competitor and likes to challenge himself, and I wouldn't be suprised to see him and GSP within the next year.
sillysnail
5/25/08 11:06:30PM
i think he'll have to defend the belt at least once more, especially since theyve already promised a title shot to huerta/florian winner. while thats a far cry from clearing out the division, another win will have bj 4-wins deep into the top lw's in the ufc. . gsp is in the same situation in that he's definitely the top contender in his division but still needs to prove it against top competition (fitch).

i can see bj/gsp happening near the end of 08 once theyve both done a little more work on their respective weight classes.
SpiderSilva
5/25/08 11:39:29PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

i do not wanna see bj at WW. hes a in shape lightweight that can and wioll dominate the div(unless N diaz comes back) if he moves up gsp destroys him.i feel if your the champ of a div weither it be Ww MW or LHW respect your title and defend it in your div but thats my opinon....................... now if bj is to loose his title and wants to come up to WW for good id love to see the rematch

WOW Nick Diaz nice great fight but I think that might end like this last one BJs BJJ would run laps around Diaz and no one has been able to handle is stand up Diaz is a good fighter but BJ is a great fighter coming into his prime I would love to see this fight though
VictimSix
5/26/08 12:48:23AM

WOW Nick Diaz nice great fight but I think that might end like this last one BJs BJJ would run laps around Diaz and no one has been able to handle is stand up Diaz is a good fighter but BJ is a great fighter coming into his prime I would love to see this fight though

I'd like to see a ground battle from these guys. Bj would probably end up passing and subing but this has fight of the night written all over it at any weight on any card.
Jipper
5/26/08 2:24:09AM
Who's left @ LW. I know there are some young guys out there, even in the UFC but Penn's beat Gomi & Sherk now who were considered by most the best UFC & PRIDE LW's.
keith-hackney1
5/26/08 7:19:49AM
He should stay at LW, if GSP comes to LW then bj could fight him there.
hodge
5/26/08 7:43:52AM
A unified title would suck anyhow and if they didnt unifie it a champion would lose all of his momentum.
JBatch
5/26/08 10:36:09AM
I would say BJ has to fight the likes of Kenflo and Huerta. GSPneeds to fight Fitch and Alves then they can fight hell make it a best 3 out of 5 unless the UFC can bring in some better talent. They need someoutstanding LW's like Melendez, JZ, Ishida, Diaz, Gomi etc. The WW division has enough talent but the LW division has a ton ofB level fighters but BJ in that kind of shape is in a league fo his own
DiabloFreak56
5/26/08 11:27:34AM
Nick Diaz's BJJ is phenomenal and so is BJ's

and if it was a stand up war, nick would be able to take some hits and deliver some..
i would love to see this fight it would be a war.:thumbsup

just in my opinion
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/26/08 11:46:49AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

He should stay at LW, if GSP comes to LW then bj could fight him there.

gsp will never make 155. no chance.

I would like bj to defend the belt 4-5 more times. cement his legacy , before he goes back up to welterweight. I would take gsp in a second fight however. Gsp has improved more then bj has since the first fight. BJ couldnt stop gsps take downs before , imagine now. Would look similar to serra gsp 2 , accept bj would last a full 5 rounds. I doubt bj could catch gsp with a sub from the bottom.
NatedawgThaM
5/26/08 12:10:15PM
BJ Penn needs to defend against Huerta/Florian for his last title defense. GSP needs to beat Fitch and Alves. While he's facing Alves I say BJ Penn dominates Marcus Davis if he passes all of his test to the time Alves fights GSP since he's be the next #1 contender being beastly undefeated. Then BJ can challenge GSP for his WW title.

But hopefully it goes my way and Fitch stops GSP. Then BJ Penn beats Florian/Huerta, GSP wins a warm up comeback fight. Then we get this fight again! I'm sure Dana would make it 5 rounds since BJ is a champion.

I'd take BJ by Unanimous Decision in a 3 round fight, 3rd round submission in a 5 round fight since he's be under more pressure to finish GSP which he would. I thought he got robbed of the decision last time. A focused BJ Penn with better cardio will do even better. If GSP is stupid enough to take a non-gassed BJ Penn down, he's gonna submitted.
Franklinfan47
5/26/08 12:43:31PM
there is still so many sweet match ups for penn at lw b4 he even considers moving up for rematches imo.Huerta, Florian, Diaz, Griffin, Aoki, Kawijiri, the list goes on.
JimiMak
5/26/08 4:01:49PM
How many threads, just on the main page, do we need on this????

Defend the belts!!!
fonduktoe
5/26/08 9:45:37PM

Posted by JimiMak

How many threads, just on the main page, do we need on this????

Defend the belts!!!

i also think this thread inadvertantly turned into a nick diaz vs. bj penn thread
jgtribbett
5/26/08 9:47:28PM
if they both win their next ones then put them together.

i mean.. i wanna see huerta florian against bj
and then fitch vs gsp

if they both win.. catchwieght it is then
tylerlee123
5/27/08 12:45:26PM
Penn will probaly defend against Huerta in October, Im saying Huerta because I'd rather see Florian dominate Heurta up until the third and then get caught in a choke or something then to lose his title match twice in a row, which he would have earned. Penn will then fight GSP after that