BJ Penn Challenges Rory MacDonald to Anti-doping Test, Rory Accepts

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BJ Penn Challenges Rory MacDonald to Anti-doping Test, Rory Accepts
Card
6/27/12 9:48:26AM
BJ Penn, who is expected to fight Rory MacDonald at UFC 152 in Toronto, is leading by example in the campaign to introduce more stringent performance-enhancing drug testing into MMA. He and MacDonald tweeted an agreement to have their September bout sponsored by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.

http://twitter.com/#!/bjpenndotcom

According to Voluntary Anti-Doping Association's website, Penn and MacDonald will be subject to a testing program similar to what Olympic athletes under go. They will be subject to random testing, and have to submit their whereabouts to VADA so drug testers can show up whenever they like to require a test.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/bj-penn-rory-macdonald-volunteer-additional-drug-testing-131147119--mma.html
prophecy033
6/27/12 10:55:01AM
I like this idea, especially since both could have said no thanks
FastKnockout
6/27/12 12:04:03PM
I've suspected Rory for a while now. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Wallass
6/27/12 12:18:13PM
I know a lot of people are high on Rory but to be honest I'm not sold on him yet and I think BJ's going to knock him out.
Chael_Sonnen
6/27/12 12:34:13PM
Here ya go Ares....God of War (whatever that means)
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Card
6/27/12 12:45:24PM
Rory via backne...

gartface
6/27/12 1:46:18PM
Dude is 22, backne is completely plausible. I have been dealing with a backne problem for years(I'm 24), though not as bad as Rory's.

Either way, good on both of these guys for agreeing to this.
BeeR
6/27/12 3:52:21PM
lol, absolutely, when I was 22 I had disgusting bacne, I still get it and Im 29
MMAcca
6/27/12 4:37:26PM
Is VADA testing a good thing ? I'm not too sure......

Outside parties getting involved kind of lead to boxing's downfall (The creation of the IBO,IBF,WBA,WWF,ABC,etc,etc....belts and nobody fighting rightful contenders)

Probably a bit early to be thinking along those lines yet though
infestructure
6/27/12 5:10:23PM

Posted by gartface

Dude is 22, backne is completely plausible. I have been dealing with a backne problem for years(I'm 24), though not as bad as Rory's.

Either way, good on both of these guys for agreeing to this.

I'm 26, and my back looks almost as bad as Rorys. And I don't dope.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/27/12 7:06:31PM

Posted by MMAcca

Outside parties getting involved kind of lead to boxing's downfall (The creation of the IBO,IBF,WBA,WWF,ABC,etc,etc....belts and nobody fighting rightful contenders)

There's absolutely no comparison between VADA/WADA and the IBO/IBF/WBC. One's primary purpose to eliminate illegal substances from the sport, the other is just throwing their hat in the ring for consideration in determining the best boxers in different weight classes.

babalu46
6/27/12 7:06:42PM
I've suspected Rory myself not just because of the bacne but because of what he is athletically capable of at such a young age but this builds huge confidence in him for me.
Bubbles
6/27/12 8:02:36PM

Posted by babalu46

I've suspected Rory myself not just because of the bacne but because of what he is athletically capable of at such a young age but this builds huge confidence in him for me.

so are Harper, Crosby and Durant all taking some sort of PED too then?
babalu46
6/28/12 4:55:44PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by babalu46

so are Harper, Crosby and Durant all taking some sort of PED too then?

Who knows I probably doubt it but hearing, reading and the general concensus on PED usage in MMA is what I base my initial suspicion on. Then the reasons I said for MacDonald are individual for him.

In all honesty it's probably me hating on an incredibly talented youngster with his ability, and as said earlier in the thread the bacne could very easily be explained.

Obviously a lot goes into the argument such as the skill level of youngsters in other sports tends to be higher simply because they are more established and kids get into it from a younger age. MacDonald may just be one of the first of a new generation in this sport which if it's the case I fully support purely for where the sport could potentially go.

But what I would point out is it would seem i'm not alone in believing he could be using and i'm sure i'm not alone in hoping i'm wrong. As I said the fact he hasn't hesitated in accepting the challenge from BJ to clean up the sport definitely endears me to him.
MMAcca
6/28/12 5:28:22PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by MMAcca

There's absolutely no comparison between VADA/WADA and the IBO/IBF/WBC. One's primary purpose to eliminate illegal substances from the sport, the other is just throwing their hat in the ring for consideration in determining the best boxers in different weight classes.

Ok a bad comparison maybe.

The point i was trying to make was that too many people being involved, ultimately has lead to boxing being in the position it is today.

Or 'too many cooks, spoil the broth'

BlueSkiesBurn
6/28/12 5:31:32PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by MMAcca

Ok a bad comparison maybe.

The point i was trying to make was that too many people being involved, ultimately has lead to boxing being in the position it is today.

Or 'too many cooks, spoil the broth'

Okay, just making sure. I see where you're coming from, but I am not sure it applies. For the record, I agree with you, but I don't think it applies here.

The WBO/WBO/IBO/Etc...are organizations. Much the same as the UFC. They just happen to do joint promotions. They're just organizations, though.

The UFC wouldn't have to compete with another organization for the title of MMA's best. That died with PRIDE. The UFC would just allow an organization, that is built to test athletes, to do all their own testing.

I actually wrote an article on this if you're interested.
Cooler
6/28/12 5:58:33PM

BJ has every right to ask him to test randomly even though he didn't ask.

And lol at Rory saying that BJ is worried when he didn't say anything of the sort, Rory came off dickish saying "Worried already BJ?" cocky, arrogant and a straw man fallacy in one sentence. This makes me think he's guilty already without the bacne.