BJ Penn Brings in Matt Hughes for UFC 127 Fight Preparations

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BJ Penn Brings in Matt Hughes for UFC 127 Fight Preparations
kopower
2/15/11 8:05:12PM
B.J. Penn reunited with a former rival last week, not as foes but as training partners.

Penn, who competed against Matt Hughes in a trilogy of fights spanning 2004 to 2010, recently worked with Hughes in preparation for his upcoming UFC 127 fight against Jon Fitch on Feb. 27 in Australia.

Link
jlock003
2/15/11 8:21:31PM
I know a lot of people think the guy is a dick, but this shows a ton of humility out of Hughes. Stories like this are constant reminders of the martial arts spirit that should drive the industry.
Taylor8766
2/15/11 9:54:45PM
Right on gotta say love stuff like this, rivals training together it really puts inperspective of how fighters really respect each other. And as the old saying goes "Iron Sharpens Iron"
vomitshovel
2/16/11 12:48:20AM
Matt Hughes kinda IS a dick, but at the same time he's a great fighter, greath coach and great training partner. Most people see his T.V persona, and let's face it... The only time we've seen matt hughes' character is when he's under pressure and about to win or lose on live T.V, and we all know how he hates to lose.
I think in the gym he's a much nicer guy and i think he likes to poke fun at people which some might take offense to.

All I'm thinking is WTF will people do once BJ can wrestle...
tcunningham
2/16/11 2:31:09AM
hughes hasnt fought fitch but he can definitely help penn with out in the wrestling aspect.
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/16/11 8:51:00AM
this just goes to show how the "bad blood" between 2 fighters is really 100% just for show. I think its great to see them training together. That being said though, pretty sure Fitch takes this one anyway.
BigIP
2/16/11 9:42:33AM
In my mind BJ needs to train with someone bigger than Hughes. Someone like Chael Sonnen to be able to deal with Fitch's size. An old Matt Hughes is not going to prepare him for Fitch in my opinion.
MaxOne
2/16/11 12:23:40PM

Posted by BigIP

In my mind BJ needs to train with someone bigger than Hughes. Someone like Chael Sonnen to be able to deal with Fitch's size. An old Matt Hughes is not going to prepare him for Fitch in my opinion.

Chael would have been an excellent person for BJ to train with for this fight!
MattHughesRules
2/16/11 1:57:00PM
Given my handle you can imagine my opinion lol. Most of all I love the respect going both ways here. Two great fighters getting together like this after going at it 3 times is really cool aspect of MMA.

I think Hughes will be a good asset for BJ in his training camp. His wrestling power and experience should be good prep for BJ while he hears up for Fitch. While he is past the good old days of his career this is just another way Hughes can stay involved if he chooses.