Penn best pound for pound fighter?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Penn best pound for pound fighter?
Fearless915
10/15/08 12:30:59PM
If BJ Penn beats St. Pierre could you consider Penn the best pound for pound fighter?
tuvok500
10/15/08 12:49:33PM
it is not going to happen , GSP will humiliate BJ !!!

I say BJ will still be top 5 after his defeat and GSP will move up to # 1 in Front of Silva !!

Nitrus
10/15/08 1:03:54PM

Posted by tuvok500

I say BJ will still be top 5 after his defeat and GSP will move up to # 1 in Front of Silva !!

No he won't

Let's start a discussion here too?
LOL xD~

Without all this patriotsm, Fedor is the best P4P, and Silva is the second with GSP very close.

I think Fedor has captive chair in top1, and only a fight between Silva and GSP would determine the second.

Patriotism Mode On

SILVA WOULD MURDER GSP AND TURN HIM HIS BARBIE !
Aaronno9
10/15/08 1:15:13PM

Posted by Fearless915

If BJ Penn beats St. Pierre could you consider Penn the best pound for pound fighter?

Its going to be tough to decide whos pound for pound after this fight.

At the moment i got Anderson, Fedor, GSP, Penn. The winner will most likely take fedors spot, looser goes 4th. If its a totally one sided domination from either guy though id consider them for number 1.

Wallass
10/15/08 1:36:02PM
I got it Fedor, Anderson, GSP and Penn. When GSP beats Penn GSP will move in to number one based on the competition he`s faced in the last several fights and that he destroyed a number four ranked pound for pounder. Only my opinion.
wiggum
10/15/08 1:56:19PM
i think the rankings will be silva, penn, fedor, gsp...if penn beats gsp...the reason is if penn wins, he and silva will both have moved up in weight (weights they have previously fought at mind you) and won against legit opponents...one could make the argument since he beat gsp that he could be number one, but he doesnt dominate the way that silva does (ie first rd kos)...fedor is not #1 in the world cuz of his competition level.....yeah, he destroyed sylvia, but who else in last couple years?....he almost got kimura'd by mark hunt a little over a year ago...MARK HUNT!!....its all about recent streaks not past accomplishments...nobody has come close to beating penn or silva in the last couple of years...yeah lutter took silva down, only to get traingled (no weight cut excuses allowed)...if fedor beats arlovski in impressive fashion, then we can re-look at the rankings...unfortunatly, p4p rankings invlove way too much mma math that it makes my head hurt
imanidiot777
10/15/08 2:18:02PM
Fedor and Anderson Silva have to be #'s 1 and 2 at this point, I'm not going to choose between the 2 for number 1. If Penn beat GSP he'd secure number 3 in my books and that goes for GSP as well, if he beat Penn that is.
jiujitsufreak74
10/15/08 2:30:30PM
no matter what the result of the BJ vs GSP fight is Fedor will still be my number one. the man is the sheer definition of the word with wins over Schilt, Choi and Wagner. imo, he is the only perfect MMA fighter in history, as i see no flaw in his game. now that he will start to fight top HWs people will start to remember what they shouldn't have forgotten, that Fedor is the best MMA fighter in history.
imanidiot777
10/15/08 2:31:30PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

no matter what the result of the BJ vs GSP fight is Fedor will still be my number one. the man is the sheer definition of the word with wins over Schilt, Choi and Wagner. imo, he is the only perfect MMA fighter in history, as i see no flaw in his game. now that he will start to fight top HWs people will start to remember what they shouldn't have forgotten, that Fedor is the best MMA fighter in history.

I agree Fedor is number one but I think the only thing he has on Anderson Silva is sheer will power. What flaw is there in Silva's game?
jiujitsufreak74
10/15/08 2:41:37PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I agree Fedor is number one but I think the only thing he has on Anderson Silva is sheer will power. What flaw is there in Silva's game?

well i mean Fedor never had any weaknesses ever in his career, whereas Anderson Silva has. Fedor has just been more dominant, imo, than Anderson throughout his career. i could see Anderson losing sooner than i would Fedor losing.
gsquat
10/15/08 3:00:12PM
No. Penn would be 2 or 3 if he beat GSP, but not #1. Fedor reserves that, likely until he loses.
nickcuc547
10/15/08 3:05:19PM
I got BJ at four right now behind silva, fedor and gsp, a win over gsp and bj might make a strong case for a #1 ranking. don't dismiss the guy, he pushed st. pierre to the limit last time and was as close to winning as you can get, three different judges and you could have seen a win for bj in their first fight.
postman
10/15/08 4:24:04PM
Now:
1. Fedor
2. Anderson
3. GSP
4. Penn

If Penn wins a close fight
1. Fedor
2. Anderson
3. Penn
4. GSP

If GSP wins a close fight
1. Fedor
2. Anderson
3. GSP
4. Penn

If BJ runs over GSP
1. Fedor
2. Penn
3. Anderson
4. GSP

If GSP runs over Penn
1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Anderson
4. Penn
Wolfenstein
10/15/08 4:40:08PM
Some people might put him in the top spot. I personally have him at #4 and would give him the #3 spot if he were to defeat GSP.

To be the #1 p4p fighter I think you need a track record of consistent dominance. As of now Penn has won three straight, but he's lost 3 of his last 7. That blemish will keep him from being #1 for a while until he has realed off about 3 or 4 solid wins. At that point I would start comparing him against the two top p4p guys Fedor and Anderson.

To be the top fighter you just can't make any mistakes. You can't lose a fight here, and lose a fight there, no matter who you're beating.

tuvok500
10/15/08 4:49:23PM

Posted by Nitrus

Posted by tuvok500

No he won't

Let's start a discussion here too?
LOL xD~

Without all this patriotsm, Fedor is the best P4P, and Silva is the second with GSP very close.

I think Fedor has captive chair in top1, and only a fight between Silva and GSP would determine the second.

Patriotism Mode On

SILVA WOULD MURDER GSP AND TURN HIM HIS BARBIE !

LMAO !!

Fedor # 1 ??? make me laugh !!!

The best fighter that Fedor have beat is Big Nog and only by UD, it was a while ago so Fedor can't be on the 2008 #1 p4p . maybe the 2004 -2005 but not after.

The best fighters Silva have beat is Franklin and Marquardt by destruction both and it was more recently than Fedor on Nog , Silva is higher than Fedor for sure in the 2008 p4p ranking.

The best fighter BJ have beat is Hughes in another century !! after that he only have beat 3 LW guys , 2 were not top 500 p4p and 1 was no longer on drug so he looked like shit !! lol

The best Fighters GSP have beat are Hughes 2 times, BJ, Fitch, Koscheck.
All those guy were top 5 WW when he beat them and he make them look like amateurs fighters !! He have beat them recently and have to be ranked properly.
I have GSP # 2 because we can't have a tie on top but by beating BJ again he will move in front of Silva even if Silva destroy Cote.

As for Silva vs GSP, like i previously said, GSP BY MURDER !!!!! It will be the most frustrating fight that Silva will ever done, he will not be able to do anything he like to do, complete and total DOMINATION by our new GOD GSP !!!

Wolfenstein
10/15/08 5:35:09PM
The best fighter GSP has beat is Penn and it was by SD. Actually just about all the top guys GSP has beat have been by decision. Jon Fitch, Karo Parysian, Josh Koschek, and Jason Miller...all decisions. I don't think that lessens the victory at all, but I think if you're going to knock Fedor's victories over Nog as just being a decison victory, then you have to take a glance at GSP's decisions victories as well.

I think you're leaving out a lot of guys for Fedor. Tim Sylvia, Nog (twice), Ricardo Arona, Fujita, Coleman (twice), Mirko Cro Cop, and Kevin Randleman.

Fedor is #1 till he's beaten in my opinion. I think you could match him up with any HW or LHW and he would dominate them all. Every fight he's in, it's not even competitive. He's just that much better than every fighter out there.

I know you're a huge GSP fan so I guess we'll just agree to disagree, but you can't blame me for trying to talk some sense into you
tuvok500
10/15/08 6:28:56PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

The best fighter GSP has beat is Penn and it was by SD. Actually just about all the top guys GSP has beat have been by decision. Jon Fitch, Karo Parysian, Josh Koschek, and Jason Miller...all decisions. I don't think that lessens the victory at all, but I think if you're going to knock Fedor's victories over Nog as just being a decison victory, then you have to take a glance at GSP's decisions victories as well.

I think you're leaving out a lot of guys for Fedor. Tim Sylvia, Nog (twice), Ricardo Arona, Fujita, Coleman (twice), Mirko Cro Cop, and Kevin Randleman.

Fedor is #1 till he's beaten in my opinion. I think you could match him up with any HW or LHW and he would dominate them all. Every fight he's in, it's not even competitive. He's just that much better than every fighter out there.

I know you're a huge GSP fan so I guess we'll just agree to disagree, but you can't blame me for trying to talk some sense into you

According to your logic we should all have Rashad Evans #1 P4P fighter, he never lost and just recently destroy a striking legend !!!

My point was more Fedor can't be top P4P in 2008 close to 2009 ranking no way.
Part of the reason he never lost may also have to be that he didn't fight for almost 2 years before facing Sylvia, i can't imagine a guy in any sport keeping his # 1 spot without being active all the time, it is impossible .

i will add A LA Dana, if Fedor don't demonstrate his ability in the UFC , his entire career will mean nothing !! lol

War Rashad !!
cmill21
10/15/08 6:56:21PM
Since 2000 Fedor has fought: 5 times in 2000, 5 times in 2001, 3 times in 2002, 5 times in 2003, 5 times in 2004, 3 times in 2005, twice in 2006, twice in 2007 and once thus far in 2008, wheres the two years off? Also note that he fought more in his 8 year career then Randy has in his 11 year career so the Fedor doesn't fight enough is BS IMHO. Next point why would he go to the UFC when Brock a guy who is 2-1 is the #1 contender right now? He has also demolished the interim champ twice. Next point, he's beaten every style around, he's demolished every style and calibur around(not unlike GSP, although GSP hasn't faced a K-1 striker), next point he's beaten guys who have out weighed him by as much as 170lbs, thats one whole GSP! I know you'll never agree but look at the other side and try and understand why alot of people see him as the best fighter on the planet.
Wolfenstein
10/15/08 7:03:28PM
If my logic had been completely based on being undefeated then you would be correct, but it wasn't. It also has to do with dominating quality opponents, which Rashad hasn't done

It was only seven months in between his last fight and Tim Sylvia.

I get what you're saying. He hasn't fought a ton of top guys in recent years, but when he did fight a top heavyweight he beat him in 36 seconds.
JoeySteel
10/15/08 7:13:00PM
He is either way. BJ and Anderson.

GSP might make it in the top 10, but I don't think so.

CantAndleDaRiddum
10/15/08 7:25:58PM
if it happens, yes
tuvok500
10/15/08 7:33:37PM

Posted by cmill21

Since 2000 Fedor has fought: 5 times in 2000, 5 times in 2001, 3 times in 2002, 5 times in 2003, 5 times in 2004, 3 times in 2005, twice in 2006, twice in 2007 and once thus far in 2008, wheres the two years off? Also note that he fought more in his 8 year career then Randy has in his 11 year career so the Fedor doesn't fight enough is BS IMHO. Next point why would he go to the UFC when Brock a guy who is 2-1 is the #1 contender right now? He has also demolished the interim champ twice. Next point, he's beaten every style around, he's demolished every style and calibur around(not unlike GSP, although GSP hasn't faced a K-1 striker), next point he's beaten guys who have out weighed him by as much as 170lbs, thats one whole GSP! I know you'll never agree but look at the other side and try and understand why alot of people see him as the best fighter on the planet.

I do i do, i just don't agree with you on the quality of the fighters that he faced and i don't count freak show as actual ranking quality fights.

As for Brock Lesnar, nobody would be more happy to see him being humiliated than me !! I guess we agree on 1 thing !!

The name dropping list of fighters that Fedor faced are no longer top fighters and a lot have never been, excepted Big Nog, so like i said, i would probably agreed about Fedor # 1 P4P when he did beat those guys , so before 2006 but after than Silva , GSP have done a better job in a competitive matter than Fedor , nobody can argue with that, just look at the 2007-2008 fights of those 3 fighters and it is clear.

jiujitsufreak74
10/15/08 7:37:44PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by cmill21

I do i do, i just don't agree with you on the quality of the fighters that he faced and i don't count freak show as actual ranking quality fights.

As for Brock Lesnar, nobody would be more happy to see him being humiliated than me !! I guess we agree on 1 thing !!

The name dropping list of fighters that Fedor faced are no longer top fighters and a lot have never been, excepted Big Nog, so like i said, i would probably agreed about Fedor # 1 P4P when he did beat those guys , so before 2006 but after than Silva , GSP have done a better job in a competitive matter than Fedor , nobody can argue with that, just look at the 2007-2008 fights of those 3 fighters and it is clear.

well as we both know we differ on how rankings should be done so i won't go too far into it. i believe Fedor is the most talented fighter at any weight, and thus i think he deserves the top P4P spot. i do P4P differently than i do the rest of my rankings, as usually i rank based on what the fighters have done lately (with an exception of Shogun)but for P4P i do it based on who i feel is simply the best fighter. in my mind that man is Fedor, in your mind it is GSP, but that's why these rankings are impossible to argue about
CwB
10/15/08 7:42:58PM
for me i will have to wait and see what happens with the fedor/aa fight
-if fedor loses i will rank him at # 2 silva 1 and if bj beats gsp then bj at 3

if bj can continue to be dominant at 155 and 170 then he might take the top spot but it is hard to take the top spots from two of the greatest fighters in mma so far
cmill21
10/15/08 11:52:18PM
I also rank Anderson as definite top 2. I love Anderson and to me he is the perfect fighter, but I would rather see him at 205 since 185 is weak(apperently weakening with Hendo and Rich at 205). I still think Hendo could beat him if he stuck to a damn game plan. I can assure you his game plan for Anderson and Wanderlei were not to stand and trade lol.
DevonFoxy
10/16/08 1:00:59AM

Posted by cmill21

I also rank Anderson as definite top 2. I love Anderson and to me he is the perfect fighter, but I would rather see him at 205 since 185 is weak(apperently weakening with Hendo and Rich at 205). I still think Hendo could beat him if he stuck to a damn game plan. I can assure you his game plan for Anderson and Wanderlei were not to stand and trade lol.

Yea thats why I would have Fedor 1 and Anderson 2 with Bj 3 and GSP 4 right now. If GSP wins he moves up if Penn wins he moves up.

I can see Anderson getting beaten by Hendo...no way can I see any fighter beating Fedor.

I think the SD was kinda iffy. Penn did break ribs in the fight and he utterly destroyed GSP in the first round in the stand up.