Bj Penn, Anderson Silva, GSP

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Bj Penn, Anderson Silva, GSP
holt8081
5/16/08 2:37:23AM
Pound for pound who do you think is the better fighter. I chose BJ
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3
chubbud22
5/16/08 2:41:12AM
I will take GSP
telnights
5/16/08 2:44:38AM
Best P4P right now I would say Silva then GSP then BJ. But really is a toss up because all three are such great fighters.
loller90278
5/16/08 3:06:06AM
i wonder how many people will abandon the BJ bandwagon if he loses this fight..

my guess is 85%
bullettdodger
5/16/08 3:54:37AM
i'd say Anderson and i may even put BJ ahead of GSP, win or lose... not sure... my reasoning is this, GSP seems tentative in the striking game imo, and BJ will bang with anyone at any weight class.. gave GSP a run for his money too... so.. i think Silva, Penn, Pierre
ocho-cinco
5/16/08 4:51:25AM
BJ joins the conversation if he gets past a very dangerous Sean Sherk. Until then he will have shown alot of promise, without enough results. If he beats Sherk, then it's a toss up all the way around. My list would go (in order) Anderson Silva, GSP, BJ Penn.
Silva has the most title defences, and looks to me like he has the fewest flaws in his game. GSP has beat everyone he has ever faced in MMA, plus he holds a win over Penn.
Hopefully we can settle this in the octagon sometime soon.
mrsmiley
5/16/08 7:00:57AM
I think GSP could easily be #1 out of those 3,but after his first bout with Serra I think a lot of people like me,are wondering if he is gun-shy when it comes to the standup game.I think as of right now if he was put against Silva,Silva's standup game would bewilder him,and though GSP would probably get the takedown,I think Anderson could hold off any major assaults from his guard.
As of now I would say Silva is without question,currently the best out of those 3.If BJ can effectivley & impressivley dispatch Sherk,it would make it tighter,but I would still have to put him in third.
rameydl8
5/16/08 11:15:59AM
Im goin with the spider on this one..........
TimW001
5/16/08 11:22:23AM
Anderson.
He's beaten everyone in the MW division.

GSP still has top contenders waiting like Fitch, and in the future maybe Alves, Davis, Swick, etc etc.

BJ Penn still has to beat Sherk. Thne Florian/Huerta. With many other contenders int he LW division.

While Anderson has beat everyone at 185. INCLUDING Dan Henderson.
Pookie
5/16/08 12:13:01PM
Anderson
BJ
Gsp
teddythetuna
5/16/08 12:29:42PM
Spider, Gsp, Penn. I dont think Gsp is gun shy i think he just has solid gameplans. KO the guy that submitted you and then submit him. Out wrestle the wrestler and have the JJ guy on his back. Hughes, koscheck, and serra never expected him to do what he did. Except maybe hughes in their 2nd fight
williamraysmith
5/16/08 2:36:08PM
Im going with Anderson, Penn, GSP.
I think Anderson is the best hands down and its a toss up between Penn and GSP, Depending on who you like best.
Jackelope
5/16/08 3:21:19PM
Definitely Anderson Silva. The guy will bang with anyone (no one will bang with him if they're smart, though) and on the ground he is obviously capable of submitting close to the un-submittable. Dan Henderson hadn't been submitted by a submission hold from anyone other than the Nog brothers in 29 fights.
jiujitsufreak74
5/16/08 3:27:29PM
PLEASE STOP MAKING THESE THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is like the 5th one discussing it. i am tired of it. p4p is all subjective, we all know everyone's position on the matter now and there is no point in arguing this over and over again. please stop the madness and i beg of you guys to stop keeping these p4p threads alive. maybe after the BJ fight we can weigh in on this; but in the last 2 weeks i have seen 7 different threads on this subject. so guys, for me, please stop talking about this...at least for 1 day.
Jackelope
5/16/08 3:46:21PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

PLEASE STOP MAKING THESE THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is like the 5th one discussing it. i am tired of it. p4p is all subjective, we all know everyone's position on the matter now and there is no point in arguing this over and over again. please stop the madness and i beg of you guys to stop keeping these p4p threads alive. maybe after the BJ fight we can weigh in on this; but in the last 2 weeks i have seen 7 different threads on this subject. so guys, for me, please stop talking about this...at least for 1 day.

Wow, I don't generally see you too amped up about this kind of stuff
papercut
5/16/08 4:01:47PM

this has gotten really old so I answered the question in my signature.
Silent-Sir
5/16/08 4:06:31PM
Personally, I think p4p rankings are a waste of time. My reason being that the only way to accurately rank them would be to have all of the top guys fight each other. Obviously this can never happen. Therefore, questions like "Who's better p4p, BJ or Fedor?" will never be answered.

That being said, here's my ranking :

Silva
GSP
Penn

I would like to think GSP is #1, but until (if) they fight, I will keep Silva in the top spot.
JimiMak
5/16/08 5:35:47PM
We need a three way dance to figure this out.
jiujitsufreak74
5/16/08 5:57:46PM

Posted by Jackelope

Wow, I don't generally see you too amped up about this kind of stuff

it was the straw that broke the camel's back sort of thing, i just snapped
Tailgunner
5/16/08 11:43:18PM

+1 These threads are getting silly, Silva-GSP-Penn are all elite level fighters and they are so talented in every aspect of fighting that the difference between them is very minor.

Besides who cares?
holt8081
5/17/08 1:03:26AM

Posted by Tailgunner

+1 These threads are getting silly, Silva-GSP-Penn are all elite level fighters and they are so talented in every aspect of fighting that the difference between them is very minor.

Besides who cares?

If you dident care......You wouldent be here.
Tailgunner
5/17/08 1:07:18AM

Posted by holt8081

Actually if you didn't start this redundant thread that has been posted about a 1000 times already i wouldn't be here!

Oh and it's didn't and wouldn't by the way.
Pitbull09
5/17/08 1:17:21AM
I dont see how BJ has suddenly risen to fame. A month or two ago, no one was considering him as #1 P4P but now its here and he hasnt fought Sherk yet even. Is it cause he has been bragging in so many interviews? Does that determine P4P? Or is it because he is doing ok now that he dropped weight after not making it in the Welterweight division?

Hands down Anderson Silva. GSP could have gotten it but his loses are too decisive (even though he avenged them). I would need to see how GSP can do now that hes champ again and see if he is now focused.
MaxOne
5/17/08 8:22:06PM
BJ

the pound for pound most skilled
holt8081
5/17/08 10:28:35PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by holt8081

Actually if you didn't start this redundant thread that has been posted about a 1000 times already i wouldn't be here!

Oh and it's didn't and wouldn't by the way.
Ya but dude you dont have to open any post you dont like, Why waste your time Did I spell every thing o.k.
holt8081
5/17/08 10:30:36PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I dont see how BJ has suddenly risen to fame. A month or two ago, no one was considering him as #1 P4P but now its here and he hasnt fought Sherk yet even. Is it cause he has been bragging in so many interviews? Does that determine P4P? Or is it because he is doing ok now that he dropped weight after not making it in the Welterweight division?

Hands down Anderson Silva. GSP could have gotten it but his loses are too decisive (even though he avenged them). I would need to see how GSP can do now that hes champ again and see if he is now focused.

No Penn has been considerd one of the best for a long time.
bigbubbano23
5/17/08 10:45:46PM
i would have to say anderson silva because he not only wins his fights he dominates from every position. give him a great striker rich or dan, he walks right through them. give him a great jiu jitsu guy nate or maybe travis emphasis on maybe he walk right through them. he has demolished the best around and i can't wait to see who finally beats him in a couple years.
JimiMak
5/18/08 12:30:19AM
BJ has been recognized as one of the top 5 p4p best for years. I'm amazed at what some ppl type.
Pitbull09
5/18/08 1:43:12AM

Posted by holt8081

Posted by Pitbull09

No Penn has been considerd one of the best for a long time.

"One of the best", not "The best." Especially right now with A. Silva and GSP. I wasnt trying to say he wasnt one of the best. If you read my post I said I cant believe he's being considered as #1 P4P.
On my list he is #4, just below Fedor but the Sherk fight could def convince me to change that.