B.J. Penn Accepts Challenge From Rory MacDonald For UFC 152

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » B.J. Penn Accepts Challenge From Rory MacDonald For UFC 152
prophecy033
6/5/12 11:53:32PM
Apparently B.J. Penn is going to come out of his short-lived layoff from the sport to accept a challenge from a top prospect. Yesterday, Rory MacDonald was a guest on The MMA Hour and issued a respectful challenge to the future Hall of Famer. Penn has been stating that he was basically retired and had no plans to come back, but according to BJPenn.com, Rory's challenge was enough to get him back in the octagon.

Link
KungFuMaster
6/5/12 11:58:30PM
Not quite official yet but how could the ufc turn this down? It might as well be official.
Pookie
6/6/12 12:28:42AM
Damn, this is a way harder fight than Koscheck.
frizzzlecake
6/6/12 12:36:27AM
UFC should tell BJ 155 or stay retired... We all remember how he reacted after the Diaz beating.
KingCmb
6/6/12 12:46:51AM
what with bjs fragile mental state about fighting and the amount of injurys latley not to mention the ufc not formal anouncing the fight yet i refuse to get excited...hell i refuse till there in the octogon and the buffer 180 hits
prozacnation1978
6/6/12 1:26:02AM
I don't see how Ufc says no to this.
Good co main event in Toronto.
aussiemma
6/6/12 2:45:23AM
its a good fight and im looking forward to it if it becomes official, but i can see bj copping a worse beating than what he did against nick and probably being finished for the first time in a long time.
the size difference is just ridiculous and with rory's wrestling and heavy ground n pound i dont see things going well for bj at all.
Kpro
6/6/12 5:12:37AM
Maybe you guys don't understand. BJ is taking training more seriously than he ever has for this fight. Joking aside since I know we'll see that headline in the next few weeks, I've always followed BJ and I'm a fan of his syle. His 170 return still brings up questions as he's 1-1-1 and it's really not a bad list. How many WW's out there would've gone through Hughes/Fitch without a loss and then stood in the pocket and lasted 15 minutes with Diaz? It's not like he's had a final 3 fights like Liddell. He knocked out a HOF'er, fought to a draw with a perennial contender, and stood toe to toe with arguably the best boxer in his weight class, something the interim champ wouldn't even attempt. Would Rory have done any better against those three? If his head is in the right place this fight could surprise, and if Rory wins no excuses.
quezocrema0032
6/6/12 7:49:25AM
I'm a die hard BJ fan so I'll try to make this post as objective as possible but all this Rory love is pre mature & everyone is drinking the kool aid. Lets look at facts here, Rory had a few troubiling moments on the feet against Che mills which led to him turning to his wrestling & he attempted 0 stand up against Nate. Rory has the most vicious Gnp in the ufc but its not like Penn has bad take down D & Rory deff has holes in his stand up game as Condit has also shown us. Penn would be the best wrestler he has faced yet (which isnt saying much when you consider he fought Condit, Pyle, Diaz, Mills, & Guymon; none have wrestling backgrounds) If bj can keep this standing I dont think he would have a hard time showing Rory a boxing clinic. & lastly what shouldnt be over looked is that since this likely not the main event it's only 3 rounds & that deff favors Bj since it gives Rory less of a chance to exploit his cardio advantage.
Boo_Radley21
6/6/12 10:51:31AM
I'd rather see him at 155 against Guida or something
Bubbles
6/6/12 1:58:50PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

I'm a die hard BJ fan so I'll try to make this post as objective as possible but all this Rory love is pre mature & everyone is drinking the kool aid. Lets look at facts here, Rory had a few troubiling moments on the feet against Che mills which led to him turning to his wrestling & he attempted 0 stand up against Nate. Rory has the most vicious Gnp in the ufc but its not like Penn has bad take down D & Rory deff has holes in his stand up game as Condit has also shown us. Penn would be the best wrestler he has faced yet (which isnt saying much when you consider he fought Condit, Pyle, Diaz, Mills, & Guymon; none have wrestling backgrounds) If bj can keep this standing I dont think he would have a hard time showing Rory a boxing clinic. & lastly what shouldnt be over looked is that since this likely not the main event it's only 3 rounds & that deff favors Bj since it gives Rory less of a chance to exploit his cardio advantage.

people were drinking the JDS and Jones kool-aid not too long ago either.
RustyRedWood206
6/6/12 2:55:25PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha WTF y does everyone have that profile pic of that dude?!?!?!? Every time I try to read an article I see him with a different photo shopped head LMFAO!!!!!! Is their a trend I missed lol...
Boo_Radley21
6/6/12 3:42:54PM
Look at those pecs....who wouldnt want a prozacnation av?
quezocrema0032
6/6/12 5:51:54PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by quezocrema0032

people were drinking the JDS and Jones kool-aid not too long ago either.

Atleast those guys had wins over top people in their weight class. Whos Rorys top win? Nate Diaz who is a top 155er not a welterweight. I'm just saying people shouldn't write off Penn just because this prospect is hot at the moment. By the sound of the thread it sounds like Penn would be a +400 under dog. Ill believe it when Rory shows off some stand up
Wolfenstein
6/6/12 6:02:20PM
Really surprised BJ took this fight over Koschek...which would have been way better stylistically IMO.

Rory trains with GSP who probably has a lot of insight on how to beat Penn considering he's done so twice. I imagine he'll use a similar strategy...coming in at about 185 come fight time, clinch with an out of shape LW and wear him down. The BJ Penn we've seen lately, yeah I'd put him as about a 400+ underdog.
Gogoplatapus
6/6/12 10:57:29PM
Damn, this isn't going to end well for BJ. I heard Zahabi say the UFC pushed Rory to do call him out.
cowcatcher
6/7/12 12:05:13PM
Surprising? Yes.

Typical BJ style? Sure is.

The guy doesn't take any gimmes, that's for sure. I really hate this match up for him though. This is a win for the UFC any way you shake it though. BJ wins and they have the vet coming back and showing he still belongs, Rory wins and they have their next superstar.