PENN

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » PENN
Fearless915
10/12/08 10:43:11PM
Could you consider BJ Penn to be ranked as 2nd or 3rd in the welter weight division?
Pitbull09
10/12/08 11:41:03PM
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/12/08 11:59:23PM

Posted by Fearless915

Could you consider BJ Penn to be ranked as 2nd or 3rd in the welter weight division?

yeah 2nd
nickcuc547
10/13/08 12:01:10AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by Fearless915

yeah 2nd

ya that's exactly where he would be
aaa9erh8er
10/13/08 12:03:30AM
im gonna go ahead and say less then second becouse i see soem of the bigger WW beating him possibly. but mainly he hasnt beat any one at WW in years so to even rank him in the div imo doesnt make any sence evenm tho hes gonna fight gsp there i dont think hes the no. 1 contender
gartface
10/13/08 12:06:28AM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

im gonna go ahead and say less then second becouse i see soem of the bigger WW beating him possibly. but mainly he hasnt beat any one at WW in years so to even rank him in the div imo doesnt make any sence evenm tho hes gonna fight gsp there i dont think hes the no. 1 contender

Would you care to elaborate on who you think from the welterweight division could beat BJ Penn. (Other than Georges St. Pierre)
bullettdodger
10/13/08 12:25:54AM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

A win over Hughes, a close loss to Hughes and then a very close fight with GSP, yeah i would put his at no. 1 contender there. Penn has the best chance to beat GSP at the moment... so i rank him number one contender...
mkiv9secsupra
10/13/08 12:31:39AM
Yeah Penn could be ranked in the top 5 no problem. And when he beats GSP he'll be number one! (i hope)

But i could see a tall striker like Swick who is hard to take down be able to jab out a win over Penn, but i doubt Swick will ever get a title shot in his career in the UFC. Other than GSP there is no one who is going to put up much of a fight against Penn.
jgtribbett
10/13/08 12:44:53AM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

good call. although i know tht he can hang with all of them and beat most of them.. he hasnt been there recently. when babe ruth quit they didnt have him as the number one homerun hitter.. they took him off because he wasnt playing.

once bj gets back into WW then hell be my number 2
Fearless915
10/13/08 7:38:56AM
Penn was close to beating Pierre and he beat Matt Hughes in his prime. Penn is now devoted more than ever, he has to be ranked 2nd, at least 3rd but probably second. If Penn wins he won't give up his light weight belt he will just defend both. If Penn smashes through Pierre, then the welter weight division would take a huge blow.
fullerene
10/13/08 2:33:12PM
It's fair to think that he's one of the top 2 or 3 fighters in the division as far as talent goes, but without any recent wins there I don't think he can be ranked at all. I've gone round and round on the topic before (not necessarily here)--rankings have to be based on tangible accomplishments (wins against good competition) not perceived capability. If you start ranking on hypothetical talent you realy open up the door for subjectivity with people calling Buakaw or Marcelo Garcia a top 5 MMA fighter.
RhythmAndStyle
10/13/08 5:39:25PM
no not till he beat a couple of those guys..i would put him up at 1 or 2 even if he beats GSP..i don't know how some people can put someone at the top of the weight division when they beat the champ..like what they did to Serra when he beat GSP..but who knows..the MMA rankings are all f*cked up anyways...
aaa9erh8er
10/13/08 6:26:03PM

Posted by fullerene

It's fair to think that he's one of the top 2 or 3 fighters in the division as far as talent goes, but without any recent wins there I don't think he can be ranked at all. I've gone round and round on the topic before (not necessarily here)--rankings have to be based on tangible accomplishments (wins against good competition) not perceived capability. If you start ranking on hypothetical talent you realy open up the door for subjectivity with people calling Buakaw or Marcelo Garcia a top 5 MMA fighter.

his last fight at WW was a a loss he hasnt actualy i think his last to figth at WW where losses now why does that make him no.! contender i like how it was put above hypothetical talent. im not buying it. is he the king at 1`55 absolutly but at WW no
and to elberate who can beat him in all honestly i wouldnt put it past alves,swick,or dam near fitch. all have a better chance against him than imo any LW
higdon10
10/13/08 10:14:40PM

Posted by fullerene

I love the point you're making. BJ is arguably the most talented fighter in the world. But I think that he could have some problems with bigger guys with solid standup that can stay outside and pick him apart(GSP, Diego, Kos, Swick, Alves). I'm not saying he would lose all of those fights, but I wouldn't be suprised if he wasn't very successful in his return to WW.
MMA
10/13/08 10:34:43PM
Considering how BJ has not had a win at welterweight since 4yrs now, no.
gartface
10/13/08 11:17:22PM

Posted by MMA

Considering how BJ has not had a win at welterweight since 4yrs now, no.

If he made the move back to 170, he'd dominate until he got to GSP and then that would be a dead heat barnburner.
Cdellorso
10/14/08 12:37:12PM
Yes he is

The New and improved BJ is now the best P4P fighter- not Silva- I hope that Silva hangs around for a hendo rematch

Striking- BJ
wrestling BJ
JJ BJ
Kicking Silva
Cardio- ???? Silva has not been tested.