B.J. Penn's Next Move

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » B.J. Penn's Next Move
juanez13
3/10/08 4:26:09PM
Yep. You guessed it. After Sherk, who else is there for him at 155 pounds? Training partner Joe Lauzon explains:

"I don't really want to be thinking that far ahead, but I don't think BJ's gonna hang around '55 very long," he said. "I think 100 percent that he's gonna beat (Sean) Sherk (at UFC 84 in May), and then whether he fights one more time or he just goes up, I think he's going after (Georges) St-Pierre at 170. Regardless of whether St-Pierre wins or loses (against Matt Serra in April), he wants St-Pierre.

I personally have no problems with this. A mildly in-shape Penn was tough at welterweight, so an in-shape Penn should be a terror. He gave GSP everything he could handle while being in "gym shape", which is saying something. Just make sure you get through Sherk first, ok, BJ?

LINK
Styles
3/10/08 4:37:46PM
There is alot that can happen right now as far as guys miving around wieght classes. I would like to see BJ beat Sherk, go up and fight GSP and I would like to see the winner of that fight, fight A.Silva in a catchwieght fight posibly at 175-180 lbs.
nickcuc547
3/10/08 5:01:46PM
id love to see it too, but it's not fair that bj hop over a bunch of guys at 170 like fitch, karo, diego or kos, for a title shot. with that said gsp vs. bj is much more marketable than a fight with any of those four guys so it's definitely possible.
Rush
3/10/08 5:18:57PM
A BJ GSP rematch is high on my list of must see fights. I really want it to be settled once and for all. I am tired of GSP getting the shaft in their first fight. Too many people do not take the first round eye poke into consideration and compound it with BJ "gassing".
CactusBob
3/10/08 5:32:33PM
I think BJ will regret thinking about GSP again. The way GSP has fought recently, I think very few in the world would have given him trouble. Also, Penn has his own wall to climb, albeit a short lumpy one. Sherk is nobody you want to look past...
Pookie
3/10/08 5:39:10PM

Posted by Rush

A BJ GSP rematch is high on my list of must see fights. I really want it to be settled once and for all. I am tired of GSP getting the shaft in their first fight. Too many people do not take the first round eye poke into consideration and compound it with BJ "gassing".

Was there a typo? How did GSP get the shaft?
Mastodon2
3/10/08 5:59:47PM
He has to beat Sherk first, who is one of the most dangerous Lay n Prayers the MMA world has ever seen. Once he has beaten this human blanket, then we can look at some potential match ups.

I wouldnt mind seeing Danzig have a pop one day, he isn't ready yet though. Not sure if he ever will be, but he is a great talent.
pv3Hpv3p
3/10/08 6:09:42PM
What about what we're all really waiting for?

The rematch with Machida and BJ's LHW belt!!!

All joking aside, I would love to see a rematch with GSP and a rubber match with Hughes
BlazinSaddle
3/10/08 6:35:41PM
why cant he fight other 155ers? tyson, edgar, huerta, aurelio, pellegrino, tavares, even if he demolishes them they go down as wins... ya know

i know we'd all like to see a UFC champ hold 2 belts and fight GSP again, i would, i think he won the 1st fight, but if its going to be anyone its going to be anderson holding both middleweight and lightheavy belts
SmileR
3/10/08 7:08:16PM
I can't see anything else for B.J to do if he does beat Sherk then defends his title, its legitimately his then. He's pretty much unstoppable at 155! Also B.J - Sherk is one of the my dream re-matches!

I hope to god this happens!
Styles
3/10/08 8:31:45PM
Yes I think GSP is a good fighter, but whydoes everyone seem to think he is next to unstoppable? I honestly dont think he is anyone worth mentioning as a top p4p fighter in history nor do I think he would ever really be known for that. I think everyone will realize this when Fitch takes GSP out.
Twenty20Dollars
3/10/08 9:29:34PM
that's what im saying, rematch with machida. also rich franklin should rematch machida!
Rush
3/10/08 9:40:06PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Rush

Was there a typo? How did GSP get the shaft?

No typo, but I was expecting a comment like this.

No, what I mean by the shaft is that GSP does not get the credit he deserves for that win.
puppetmaster837
3/10/08 10:33:37PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

why cant he fight other 155ers? tyson, edgar, huerta, aurelio, pellegrino, tavares, even if he demolishes them they go down as wins... ya know

i know we'd all like to see a UFC champ hold 2 belts and fight GSP again, i would, i think he won the 1st fight, but if its going to be anyone its going to be anderson holding both middleweight and lightheavy belts

There will probably be no fighter to ever hold two belts at the same time in the UFC. I doubt Dana White would allow it. Think about how long all of the contenders for each weight class would have to wait for a title shot. If he did win the belt then go up a weight class he would probably be relinquishing the LW belt.
imanidiot777
3/10/08 10:56:19PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

Posted by BlazinSaddle

There will probably be no fighter to ever hold two belts at the same time in the UFC. I doubt Dana White would allow it. Think about how long all of the contenders for each weight class would have to wait for a title shot. If he did win the belt then go up a weight class he would probably be relinquishing the LW belt.

Yea it would make it a really long wait for guys in line for the next shot. The lightweights have some guys that could possibly be title contenders soon, Tyson Griffin, Roger Huerta, Florian and Lauzon not so close but maybe in the near future.
bls1919
3/10/08 10:59:27PM
I think BJ needs to focus and "outwork" Sherk to a TKO victory. When he does that, and after Kenflo beats the shit out of Jlau, he and BJ should fight. After that i still think he should stay at 155. There is nothing wrong with retiring the greatest LW champ in MMA history.....NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!