BJ Penn can't bench press 150lbs 12 times

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BJ Penn can't bench press 150lbs 12 times
Wolfenstein
11/12/08 1:15:40PM
Obviously BJ is a strong grappler, but I was reallysurprised at his lack of weight strength. Not that it nessecarilly makes a difference, but still surprising. It's being reported that in this workout he couldn't bench 150lbs 12 times.

link
Cdellorso
11/12/08 1:24:09PM
bj has never been considered a "strong for his size guy" but he has to be able to bench 150 12 times-

Keepin mind we dont know how much he lifted before... I wouldny worry too much he was strong enough to "wreck" Sherk. he will give Georges a run....
NinjaCyborg
11/12/08 1:25:49PM
Well BJ is a smaller guy, so you should consider that 150 pounds may be alot for his frame. However yeah I'm shocked, I would have thought he could do more.
grappler0000
11/12/08 1:32:10PM
BJ has never been one to train for the purpose of having a good physique or bragging rights. I'm sure his training has changed some in the last few years, but grapplers tend to put more emphasis on the pulling exercises when lifting weights. If you consider that it may have been in the middle of his workout, it's not too hard to imagine that the claim could be accurate for someone his size.
wiggum
11/12/08 1:40:37PM
sounds like a little heresay to me...plus hes a bjj guy,...isnt the whole philosophy technique over strength anyways?....its like bas rutten used to say "you can bench 500 pounds?..thats nice...i can knock you out"
Jackelope
11/12/08 1:52:27PM
Benching weight has nothing to deal with how strong he is. I guarantee you if you put a guy who puts up 200 lbs 12 times in an Octagon to grapple with BJ Penn he'll ******* demolish the dude and probably easily overpower him in a clinch
gsquat
11/12/08 1:59:07PM
Well many of you have seen my arms. They bend the other way (hyperextend). They're really long too. I can't bench that much either. BJ has talked before about how he doesn't want to be strong and stiff or flexible and weak. He wants to be strong and flexible. Well whether he likes it or not they don't really go together.
DevonFoxy
11/12/08 4:25:06PM
As long as he can fight for 25 minutes and not gas no one will be able to beat him.
gartface
11/12/08 4:40:49PM

Posted by Jackelope

Benching weight has nothing to deal with how strong he is. I guarantee you if you put a guy who puts up 200 lbs 12 times in an Octagon to grapple with BJ Penn he'll ******* demolish the dude and probably easily overpower him in a clinch

Thank you! I don't know when the bench press became the standard of how strong someone is.
postman
11/12/08 5:06:02PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Jackelope

Thank you! I don't know when the bench press became the standard of how strong someone is.

I agree I would put alot more into how many push ups a guy can do and if he can do them from different angles.
bls1919
11/12/08 7:04:41PM
No big deal. BJJ is made for the weaker guy to beat the bigger stronger opponent. Can't wait for his fight with GSP. Oh yeah WAR GSP
JoeySteel
11/12/08 7:08:39PM
Did any of you dorks watch that flipping stupid video.

I DID. Looking for this claim. And alas, it was not there.

there was a montage of him bench pressing, but you can't count them cause it is not straight through.

SECONDLY. he shoulder presses like 240 or something sick a few times.

That video shows him easily doing some great weights. for a 155 dude beginning his 90 day training he is strong. Not the hulk but strong.

dorks.
Jackelope
11/12/08 7:48:30PM

Posted by JoeySteel

there was a montage of him bench pressing, but you can't count them cause it is not straight through.

That video shows him easily doing some great weights. for a 155 dude beginning his 90 day training he is strong. Not the hulk but strong.

dorks.

LOL, are you insane? I hate handing out warnings but I'll gladly hand it out for this.

1. Do not engage in name-calling, threats, exchanges of insults, or intentionally rude behavior towards fellow members. It's 100% fine and normal that you don't agree with another member's comments, and it's completely fine to state that when done without insults. People may post things that are common knowledge, are answered in a pinned topic, or have already been posted many times before. If you care to reply, do so without the use of profanity or a condescending tone. It's old-fashioned, but remember your parents saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". The purpose of having an online community is to have a place for a close-knit group of fans to talk about the things they love (in this case, MMA).
Wolfenstein
11/12/08 7:53:01PM

Posted by JoeySteel

dorks.

I said it was "being reported" that in the vdeo this is what occured. Before going on a hissyfit, maybe you should take the time to read the post.
nickcuc547
11/12/08 9:18:59PM
i can bench press 150 12 times, but bj penn would tear my head off put it back on and tear it back off again, and he'd probably take both my arms in the process.
Poohbah
11/12/08 9:38:30PM
I remember lifting weights after wrestling practice. We were all so exhausted we could barely do the bar, let alone big weight. Meaningless if it's towards the end of a grueling workout.
JoeySteel
11/12/08 9:54:47PM
Really? "dorks" is offensive? I thought i was clearly choosing words like "flipping dorks" that people would find playful, and not offensive.

I think it is MUCH more offensive to suggest someone may be insane or have mental problems because of something they said. Or just as bad is laughing out loud at somone's post.

These rules are being held a bit too strictly. We are a bunch of people who are talking about something we care a great deal about, our emotions run high, I strongly believe that we should be allowed some freedom of speech as long as we are not using language that clearly means to hurt people's feelings and so on.

"DORKS" is hardly one of those words.

I am a teacher. And if one of my third graders said that to another third grader they would both simply laugh it off.

Come on.
RedCloud
11/12/08 10:35:56PM
I agree !
Ben_Hutch
11/12/08 10:55:13PM

Posted by JoeySteel

dorks.

Wow,

Why do you feel the need to be so harsh? I'm fine with you having an opinion, but insulting people in a malicious because of theirs? That my friend, is pretty sad.

I'm going to leave it at that as I don't fancy getting myself a ban
JoeySteel
11/12/08 11:07:15PM
"nsulting people in a malicious " = "dorks" ????????

toughen up mma fans.
Pitbull09
11/12/08 11:09:53PM
Well that makes me really happy as I weight less than BJ and I can bench 180 12 times.
But the fact this proves is bench press has no direct influence to your MMA game. BJ is extremely flexible so I'm not surprised he is weaker when it comes to weights. What matters is he has technical striking and one of the best ground games in the sport. Bench press means shit when you have that.

Just to celebrate though, I can beat BJ Penn at something!!!
gsquat
11/13/08 9:42:54AM
Jackelope- I agree with Joey. Far worse things than "dorks" have been said around here and it hasn't gotten one bit of attention. I think you might be struttin' your stuff a little much.
Jackelope
11/13/08 10:13:41AM

Posted by gsquat

Jackelope- I agree with Joey. Far worse things than "dorks" have been said around here and it hasn't gotten one bit of attention. I think you might be struttin' your stuff a little much.

That's fine that you think that. I agree I have seen far worse things said on the forums, too. Fact is, there are rules. And they were broken.
Aaronno9
11/13/08 10:53:18AM
I cant believe people are defending this, i mean cmon, the rules have been getting tight around here lately and your just gona come out and call everybody in a thread a dork? Might not be the most offensive thing in the world but its just looking for trouble if you ask me. When i first read the thread i wasn't particularly drawn to the dork part, it just seemed like the post had been constructed to offend or make people like stupid.

On point though, I think if B.J was totally fresh and at the beginning of his workout, like just after the warm up, he could do it. Or mabeys once hes midway into his training camp and hes almost running at full strength. Like many have said already though, it doesnt really matter, you could bench 300lbs 20 times, and he still kick your ass.
Solidus
11/13/08 4:58:22PM
Im not totally disagreeing with the rules as much as I hate censorship because I know how quickly the conversation can be degraded...but its obvious there was no malicious intent behind Joey's words.

If you're offended by "dorks" then you need to grow some thicker skin. If you're not offended, then move on and stop trying to make a big deal out of everything that might potentially be offensive.

On topic...I'm sure 150lbs x12 isnt far from the truth. Id be surprised if he could bench 170 more than 12 times.
jgtribbett
11/13/08 7:20:22PM
i will say this.. i've done a decent amount of athletic type lifting (not power lifting) but training for wresltling etc. When i got the point when i was running 3 miles before and then lefting for around 45 min using 12 and 15 reps.. i couldnt do 150 twleve times either and i'm 180 with 7 percent body fat when i'm really training.

with that begin said.. in 2005 (in iraq) i was 173 and got 345 twice.. i'm fairly strong... but when i was grappling.. i was dead.

this summer when i was doing the 12 and 15 rep workout.. believe me that even the dudes who'd been roling for years longer.. where dead by the time i was half way tired... stick to it bj..