Pedro Rizzo: "If I Beat Barnett I Will Be Top 10 Again"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Pedro Rizzo: "If I Beat Barnett I Will Be Top 10 Again"
MMAcca
6/28/08 10:17:41AM
Considered one of the greatest heavyweights of all time at the MMA, Pedro Rizzo went through a bad phase and now is fighting again to be among the 10 best heavyweights in the world. His chance to return to the top will be on July 19, when he will face the fourth fighter of the world at the weight, Josh Barnett, at the event Affliction. To make it happen, the athlete is training heavy and received in the last week the help of his teacher, Marco Ruas, who was in visiting his family. Below an exclusive interview with Pedro Rizzo, who talks about his training and hopes at the new American event.

LINK
Wolfenstein
6/28/08 10:31:34AM
He probably would be in the top ten again, but he's just not the same fighter anymore. Barnett is too much for him at this point in his career.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/28/08 10:49:59AM
First of all, that's a HUGE "if", and secondly... no you won't
gravy13
6/28/08 12:32:21PM
Yeah, I don't know about that. Barnett is a totally different fighter from the first time they fought, he's way better. I don't think Rizzo will take this, but if Rizzo beats him I don't think he should be top ten.
Figsak
6/28/08 12:55:47PM
Horse Sh*t. Anyone who ranks a fighter top 10 after winning 1 fight is nuts, no matter how good the guy you beat is.
jiujitsufreak74
6/28/08 12:59:11PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

why not?

i think that if he beats Barnett he would be top 10. all bias aside i think that a win over Barnett would i n fact put him over. the fact is, there isn't a lot of top 10 level talent at HW and with a lot of the fighters holding wins over each other and a lot of the top HW facing poor competition, a win over Barnett should put him at the 10 spot imho.
89vision
6/28/08 2:41:54PM
Rizzo is an old school hero of mine, i wish him the best
Figsak
6/28/08 3:19:36PM
Ditto, the upside is also that he's not even that old! He went pro at 22, and was a MMA legend by the age of 26. You look at his record and you think the mans 45 or something, he's only 34. He still has some good fighting years left in him.

Can't wait to see them either.

UUuuuunnfortunately ;) I'm a Barnett nut-hugger. My favorite fighter.

He has a loss to Rizzo already, but that was 7yrs ago. If Barnett can avoid the world class leg kicks, and drag Rizzo to the ground, I think he will get a round 2-3 Sub. Very very dangerous fight for Barny though. I'm gonna close my eyes and cross my fingers on that 1.
ncordless
6/28/08 3:26:52PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

why not?

i think that if he beats Barnett he would be top 10. all bias aside i think that a win over Barnett would i n fact put him over. the fact is, there isn't a lot of top 10 level talent at HW and with a lot of the fighters holding wins over each other and a lot of the top HW facing poor competition, a win over Barnett should put him at the 10 spot imho.

I agree. Rizzo's wins over Eilers and Munson along with a win over Barnett would have me putting him in the top ten. Judging him on his last fight, he still has some gas in the tank and I could see him doing better than people expect, both in this fight and future ones.
lordicast
6/28/08 4:31:01PM
this fight will be over in 2 Min barrnet by KO; On a side note i want fedor to stop ducking Barrnet and fight him. Call me crazy but i want to see that fight more then fedor vs couture!
JimiMak
6/28/08 4:49:41PM
Based on last 3 fights I would IF: He beats Barnett up badly and gets a ko. Other alternatives are maybes but there isn't a lot of talent in HW right now. Rizzo may show better than we all think and MAY be able to put up a good fight against anyone.

On the Fedor Barnett thing, I don't think either one is ducking the fight, as friends they dont' WANT to get in the ring together. They've both said they're willing to for a belt or something. IF they both win or both lose it's prob'ly in the works for the next Affliction.
Playground_Samurai
6/28/08 7:23:41PM

Posted by 89vision

Same here.

Posted by lordicast

this fight will be over in 2 Min barrnet by KO;

Do Rizzo's two fights in Pride hold a lot of weight with you?

I'm going with Barney by UD. Pedro has never been subbed before and Barnett doesn't have a long track record of T(KO)'s. However, Barnett is the all round better fighter at this point, imo. Of course anything can happen, but I got Josh by UD.

If Pedro does get the win, I'd have him in the lower half of the top 10. It's a tight race for the last couple of spots in the HW division, and consecutive wins over quality opponents such as Jeff Monson and Josh Barnett would get him a legitimate place there.

lordicast
6/28/08 7:40:31PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by 89vision

Same here.

Posted by lordicast

this fight will be over in 2 Min barrnet by KO;

Do Rizzo's two fights in Pride hold a lot of weight with you?

I'm going with Barney by UD. Pedro has never been subbed before and Barnett doesn't have a long track record of T(KO)'s. However, Barnett is the all round better fighter at this point, imo. Of course anything can happen, but I got Josh by UD.

If Pedro does get the win, I'd have him in the lower half of the top 10. It's a tight race for the last couple of spots in the HW division, and consecutive wins over quality opponents such as Jeff Monson and Josh Barnett would get him a legitimate place there.

I saw the pride fights

Loss Roman Zentsov KO (Punch)
Loss Sergei Kharitonov TKO (Strikes)

Not 2 impressive

Edit; i cant watch AOW - Art of War so i dont know how he looks now
Playground_Samurai
6/28/08 7:50:02PM

Posted by lordicast
I saw the pride fights

Not 2 impressive

Well, that's my point. If those are the only, or last fights you've seen of him, then I think I have a good idea of why you think the fight will go the way you claim it will.
lordicast
6/28/08 8:12:42PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by lordicast
I saw the pride fights

Not 2 impressive

Well, that's my point. If those are the only, or last fights you've seen of him, then I think I have a good idea of why you think the fight will go the way you claim it will.

Well no i saw all his fights in the UFC aswell and towards the end helooked like a striker being phased out of mma. personally i like the rock but josh barrnett is to big of a task at this time
Figsak
6/28/08 9:52:01PM
I saw his pride fights too, IMO he looked like crap. Barnett survived Aleksander Emelianenko and Mark Hunt, I'm betting he can survive an older slower Rizzo.
mrsmiley
6/28/08 10:07:45PM
I say Barnett wins this,but you just never know.
gravy13
6/29/08 2:01:44AM
I have no idea how someone could think that a win over Barnett would put Rizzo in the top ten hw of the world.
jiujitsufreak74
6/29/08 3:23:18AM

Posted by gravy13

I have no idea how someone could think that a win over Barnett would put Rizzo in the top ten hw of the world.

name 10 guys that would deserve it more if he wins. i personally cannot.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/29/08 7:24:26AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

why not?

Why not you ask?
pretty simple... Say Pedro beats Barnett (some people dont have him in their top 10)... apart from that, who has Rizzo recently (in the past 3 years) beat who was even remotely close to being in the top 10? That's right, no one. Only reason why I said he wouldnt be in the top 10, cause even if he beats barnett, he doesnt deserve the top 10 just yet. And anyways, he's gonna get destroyed so there isin't even gonna be an argument going on about Rizzo in the top 10.
jiujitsufreak74
6/29/08 1:19:09PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r
Why not you ask?
pretty simple... Say Pedro beats Barnett (some people dont have him in their top 10)... apart from that, who has Rizzo recently (in the past 3 years) beat who was even remotely close to being in the top 10? That's right, no one. Only reason why I said he wouldnt be in the top 10, cause even if he beats barnett, he doesnt deserve the top 10 just yet. And anyways, he's gonna get destroyed so there isin't even gonna be an argument going on about Rizzo in the top 10.

well this is how i see it. Barnett is a definite top 10 HW as he is ranked in every single major mma site including this one. so arguing that Barnett is not a top 10 talent is a mute point because the consensus is that he is in the top 10. now look at the records of some of the other fighters fighting for a spot over their last 3 fights. now the way i am doing this is that in this situation Pedro has beaten Barnett and all of the other favorites in Affliction have won.

Pedro Rizzo: W-Barnett, W-Monson, W-Justin Eilers

Brandon Vera: L-Werdum, L-Sylvia, W-Mir

Aleks: W-Buentello, W-Silva Santos, W-Dan Bobish

Rothwell: L-Arlovski, W-Ricco, W-Soszynski

now from that list, Rizzo has the better wins. there really isn't that many other HWs that would have a better resume than Rizzo if Rizzo beats Barnett so with a victory i think he earns himself a top 10 spot.
Figsak
6/29/08 4:29:52PM
I disagree. I have Rothwell in the #10 spot right now.

The difference is, Rizzo hasn't been active enough recently, and he hasn't beaten a top 10 contender in about 5yrs, back when he beat Rico Rodriguez who was already on his decline out of the top 10.

It's all about who's hot now, not who was hot 5yrs ago.

Rothwell has the more impressive record as of late. IF Rizzo beats Barnett, He'll probably get the #10 spot unless Rothwell beats Arlovski.
gravy13
7/3/08 1:43:08AM

Posted by gravy13

It just seems like he has been inactive for a few years. He's only had like 4 fights since 2005. It seems like the guys that are fighting winning at a consistent pace should be up there. I definitely think he would be close to the top ten, but not breaking it.
jiujitsufreak74
7/3/08 2:31:50AM

Posted by gravy13

Posted by gravy13

It just seems like he has been inactive for a few years. He's only had like 4 fights since 2005. It seems like the guys that are fighting winning at a consistent pace should be up there. I definitely think he would be close to the top ten, but not breaking it.

well, let's break this down. i will use the Playgorund's ranking. I will list each fighter and how many fights they have had since 2005 (2006 and on).

Fedor- 4
Big Nog- 7
Couture- 3
Sylvia- 7
Barnett- 9 (0 in 2007)
AA- 5
Werdum- 7
GG- 5
CC- 8
Mir- 5

Rizzo has just as many fights as Couture right now since 2005, and after his fight with Barnett he will have 4 like you mentioned. apparantly, having 4 wins since 2005 hasn't been a discerning factor for ranking other fighters. i see your point, but i don't think that if he beats Barnett he will be inactive. a win over a top 5 HW and a fighter who had fought for the UFC HW belt within the past few years is grounds for a top 10 spot imo...especially with the lack of talent at HW.
Figsak
7/3/08 12:44:11PM
The rankings on this site are skewed a little.

1. No way Sylvias is ranked #4, he's dropped 2 of his last 3 fights and the only reason he stays top 10 is because he has AA's number. Which is you disect it is just a perception. He's 2-1 with AA and one of those he was losing and caught AA with a prayer. So who's better head to head is a toss up. Besides his AA wins, he has 0 wins vs ranked guys unless you go back 5yrs to him taking the title from Rico Rodriguez.

So him being top 10 is debateable, top 4 is a joke.

2. If CroCop didn't have Barnett's number, Barnett might be #1. It's not just the number of fights you have, it's who you fight. Look at Barnetts last 11 fights, 5 of those fights were vs top 10 competition. He's 1-1 with #1 Big Nog. 3 more of those 11 fights were vs top 15 competition.

I have Barnett ranked #4, most ranking systems have him 4-5.

Just like if you go to vegas and play the penny slots all damn night, I can go play 1 hand of blackjack and come out with 10x more money than you.

Sylvias been playing the penny slots in the UFC all by himself. Fedor, Barnett, Big Nog, CroCop, and Werdum have been playing blackjack vs eachother in Pride for years.