paulo filho to WEC...not the UFC!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » paulo filho to WEC...not the UFC!
MMAinstinct
5/31/07 7:52:39PM
WOW...i really wanted to see him in the UFC and mix things up in the middleweight division.http://www.tatame.com/2007/05/31/Paulao-close-to-WEC
the-james
5/31/07 8:18:04PM
Thats kind of weird, i guess its theyre way of protcting the ufc middleweight divison, or maybe they just want make Paulo the face of the WEC. It sucks that well have to wait to see him match up against ufc contenders like Franklin,Okami and Silva etc but atleast wa might see Fhilo/MAyhem.
richieb19
5/31/07 8:26:08PM
It makes perfect sence if you think about it... he would probably LnP his way to most of his victories and cause a big stir by beating some top MW contenders... it would throw a twist in the plans for the division, a boring twist...
raindrops21
5/31/07 11:25:31PM

Posted by richieb19

It makes perfect sence if you think about it... he would probably LnP his way to most of his victories and cause a big stir by beating some top MW contenders... it would throw a twist in the plans for the division, a boring twist...

I agree. While Filho wins his fights, it's usually by just taking a guy down and controlling him.

Good post.
the-james
6/1/07 12:05:59AM

Posted by richieb19

I dont think Fhiho is a boring fighter he just dosent like to brawl he fights smart and keeps it where hes best which on the ground, he just happens to be amazing at controlling people on the ground aswell as submitting them, he is probably in the top five most talent ed185ers in the world, come on this guy is not a Josh Koscheck or Ricardo Arona he dosnt lay and pray, he takes people down and dominates them pounds them and submits them but its impossible to finish every fight. Plus hes won four of his last five fights by armbar if im not mistaken.
ac_gi
6/1/07 1:13:04AM
I think Zuffa needs another face of the franchise to go along with Faber. Plus, it sets up a UFC v WEC in the future, which is a Win Win for Zuffa.
Northrend
6/1/07 3:27:41AM
Kinda reminds me of when they "fired" Lindland. He was next in line and BAM he is gone because of a shirt....cmmmon they were protecting Rich just like they are doing now. (just my opinion)
Believe-in-judo81
6/1/07 12:56:46PM
I think UFC is definitely trying to protect their current plans for the division with this move, but as people pointed out it makes good business sense. Paulo definitely has the skills to be a face for the WEC. When he gets his shot at the big boys, he'll be ready.
szucconi
6/1/07 2:08:43PM
WEC is the Pride replacement. Zuffa would continue promoting Pride if WEC didn't have a TV deal. In two years you will be able to say Pride is WEC in Japan. The UFC will play up the rivalry until they can't anymore. They will assert there dominance and send Pride back to Japan with its tail between its legs. They don't want anymore questions about which org is the best.

UFC = Pro
WEC = Triple A
Pride = Double A
cowcatcher
6/1/07 2:57:39PM
shocking, i have wanted to see him in the ufc for awhile if nothing else to beef up their thinnest division. i dont think he will be in WEC for long if he puts together a couple of wins there. now i need to find out what kang is gonna do.
DevMahon
6/2/07 2:46:05AM
What? Hadn't he just gotten knocked out by David Terrell in just over twenty seconds? And wasn't Evan Tanner the chamion at the time? I'm not saying that it was right to just kick Lindland to the curb, but I don't think you can just say "This is the reason, this is the way it was," when there was a lot more going on that that.

Having gotten that off my chest, I can't believe Filho's going for a four fight contract with the WEC. The MW division is probably the UFC's thinnest division at this point and they're passing up one of the premier middleweights in the world? Makes no sense.
Spiderman
6/2/07 3:44:57AM

Posted by the-james

Posted by richieb19

I dont think Fhiho is a boring fighter he just dosent like to brawl he fights smart and keeps it where hes best which on the ground, he just happens to be amazing at controlling people on the ground aswell as submitting them, he is probably in the top five most talent ed185ers in the world, come on this guy is not a Josh Koscheck or Ricardo Arona he dosnt lay and pray, he takes people down and dominates them pounds them and submits them but its impossible to finish every fight. Plus hes won four of his last five fights by armbar if im not mistaken.

Filho is Cleary The best fighter at 185 lbs . No fighter has a comparable record at 185 lbs .

Wins over Misaki , Suloev , Chonan , Ninja , Prime Kondo , Prime Yamamiya

Hendo is good , but he lost to Misaki , and should have lost the dec to Busta for the championship

A.Silva only has a win over Franklin [ who has no notable wins ] and has a couple of real bad loses to Chonan , Takase and a DQ to Okami

Lindland has been doing good , but the only decent 185lb fighter he has beaten is Horn [ who has looked real old lately ] and has the old loss to Busta where he was totally outclassed .

The Ufc is supposed to be the premire mma org but they still dont have the best fighters at HW LHW MDW , OR LW

Fedor
Shogun - might be signed to the ufc now
Filho - isnt going to be on the ufc shows
Lw - Dont have any of the top guys .
Northrend
6/2/07 6:24:59AM

Posted by DevMahon

What? Hadn't he just gotten knocked out by David Terrell in just over twenty seconds? And wasn't Evan Tanner the chamion at the time? I'm not saying that it was right to just kick Lindland to the curb, but I don't think you can just say "This is the reason, this is the way it was," when there was a lot more going on that that.

Having gotten that off my chest, I can't believe Filho's going for a four fight contract with the WEC. The MW division is probably the UFC's thinnest division at this point and they're passing up one of the premier middleweights in the world? Makes no sense.

Yes, he did get KO'ed. But he should have been fighting for the title prior to even Evan fighting for it. Lindland wins over 4 matches and doesn't get a title shot but David comes in and wins 1 fight and gets the shot. After Evan looses and Rich is champion, Lindland rebounded from his 1 loss by 2 good wins. At this time the MW division was not as deep as it is now (not saying that it is that deep now, but much worse earlier) so he was the best choice easily for the title fight. Then they can him because of a shirt? It is obvious they didn't want him to beat Rich because for some he is a boring fighter.