Paulo Filho wants to fight Gegard Mousasi at LHW

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Paulo Filho wants to fight Gegard Mousasi at LHW
jae_1833
8/22/09 5:31:59PM
link

Back to victories at Dream, submitting Melvin Manhoef in the first round, Paulo Filho is ready for Alex Shoenauer at Bitetti Combat 4, but already aims tougher challenges overseas. With Dream’s new partnership with Strikeforce, the black belt eyes Gegard Mousasi, who knocked Renato Babalu Sobral out to become the new light heavyweight champion. In the exclusive interview, the black belt remembered that he and Mousasi were in the same Pride tournament, but Mousasi was submitted got out when he was submitted by Gono, commented the training for Bitetti Combat, Dream’s partnership with Strikeforce and more.

Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/22/09 7:12:49PM
Go Mousasi by jab jab hook, move and wear Filho out to a dec or late tko
Aleks_Smash
8/22/09 8:46:45PM
Gergard by KO or Filho by surprinsing sub. round 1

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Nightmare27
8/22/09 9:38:49PM
I dont think Filho is in a position to call out anybody but I wouldnt count him out. Especially if he could get it to the ground.
Twenty20Dollars
8/22/09 11:05:37PM
I would like to see this fight.
Irish_Pride
8/22/09 11:57:29PM
This is would be a very interesting fight to watch. Filho is very dangerous on the ground but I think Mousasi would be able to knock him out. Mousasi just really impressed me in his fight against Sobral.
GrandMaster313
8/23/09 12:01:25AM
Babalu + good striking + excellent ground game = KO from Hell

Filho + little-to-no striking +superior ground game = Massive KO from Hell !

dont believe me just look at my Avatar
crazedfan
8/23/09 3:19:31AM
Mousasi would absolutely wreck Filho. Filho's not going to sub Gegard, and he stands no chance on the feet. I would love to see this fight just to see Filho get demolished.
ncordless
8/23/09 10:23:08AM

Posted by crazedfan

Mousasi would absolutely wreck Filho. Filho's not going to sub Gegard, and he stands no chance on the feet. I would love to see this fight just to see Filho get demolished.

Filho can sub anyone on the ground. Anyone short of Maia or Jacare going to the ground with Filho would be a bad move. Fortunately for Gegard... he is an all-around great fighter who could expose Paulo's lack of stand up and sub par takedowns.
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/09 11:21:40AM
Well I thought Melvin was going to KO Filho but melvin ended up getting subbed.

But I would still take gegard.
higdon10
8/23/09 12:25:34PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

My thoughts exactly.
sclasclemski
8/23/09 12:42:10PM
at least it would be a fight that people wouldn't mind seeing...though I firmly believe Gegard shows the same dominance as he did against babalu
telnights
8/23/09 1:24:43PM
I think Filho is saying he wants to get KOed. I think it would be much better for Filho to focus on getting some wins under his belt and getting in shape. Not jumping up to top level fighters your 2nd fight since moving to LHW.
supatolacyl
8/23/09 4:37:47PM
Mousasi is no slouch on the ground, I think his bjj matched with his all around calmness about him, he would not freak out if he was put into a sub and that would give him enough time to figure out an escape if there is one.

I doubt Filho would be able to bring down Mousasi, only chance I see is him running up on him and pulling gaurd and trying to drag him down that way. However, I wouldn't want to get that close to Mousasi if your only intention was to bear hug him, probably wouldn't fair out too well in the end.
InglouriousBasterd
8/23/09 5:26:12PM
Filho would have no chance......he lost to chael sonnen, c'mon
ohnougotme
8/23/09 7:09:20PM
Paulo Filho wishes!!!!Mousasi is in a way different class then Filho.Mousasi just destroyed Renato,and would probally have an easier time with Filho.Nothing against Paulo,but i think that he is just lookin for a piece of limelight,cuz ia am sure that Gerrard is laughing reading Filho's comments!!
whardin19
8/24/09 5:12:48PM
I think Filho would have a decent chance. He's got the submissions to pull of the upset. The problem is his striking is horrible and I'm not sure he can take down Gegard. Gegard probably would KO Filho.
slapshot
8/24/09 6:55:03PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

My thoughts exactly.

LOL Melvin's weakest attribute is sub defense and Filho's ground game is good although a little over hyped IMO. I dont think this would last all that long because Filho has dismal striking compared to most top fighters including Mousasi who I still think needs to prove himself as well but KO'n ground fighters will still leave me with to many questions to rank him.

Both fighters need to step up to the UFC if they want to further there careers.