Paulo Filho misses weight, WEC 36 fight with Chael Sonnen now non-title affair

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Paulo Filho misses weight, WEC 36 fight with Chael Sonnen now non-title affair
Next Page »
Wolfenstein
11/4/08 7:43:40PM
Filho originally weighed in a shocking seven pounds over the 185-pound limit. He could only drop from 192 to 189 pounds after being given an additional two hours to make weight, according to the WEC.

link
nickcuc547
11/4/08 7:53:09PM
strip him of his belt, absolute joke. I'm ****** pissed and home sonnen tears his head off.

EDIT: I guess it doesn't matter if they strip him of the belt because he's going to the ufc any ways. But I'm still ****** pissed, a champ should never miss weight.
iwannabesedated
11/4/08 7:55:20PM
Sucks for Sonnen if he was to win.
wrona666
11/4/08 7:58:34PM
I hope Sonnen puts his face through the floor.....What a disgrace to any former or current champions.......Sonnen first round destruction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crushedbacon
11/4/08 8:03:25PM
Speaks volumes for Filho's character.....was pulling for Sonnen, now I wanna see Filho get embarrassed......i could see perhaps a pound but he didn't even give a shit
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
11/4/08 8:09:31PM
******* loser, I was going for Sonnen the first time they fought and I was going for him more this time and now I hope he dominates in a fashion that Filho wont have a choice to choose about fighting Anderson Silva, it just wont be a f'n option.
way to go well I guess thats one way to obtain your title when feeling threatened
Aaronno9
11/4/08 8:14:28PM
Hopefully when he comes to the ufc he has to start at the very bottom of the pile. I wouldnt regard Dana anywhere near as highly as i do if he gives Paulo a title shot straight away. Its embarrassing to miss by so much for any fight, let alone a title fight. And the fact he came in so much over tells me he knew he was going to miss the weight and just wasnt bothered about cutting becouse he knew he was going straight the ufc anyways.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
11/4/08 8:14:48PM
question so this is now a 3 rd fight?? I figure it is just confirming
nastshabast
11/4/08 8:16:34PM
Way worse than Leben. Fihlo doesn't care.
Khaos
11/4/08 8:16:45PM
I hope he losses, I wanted him to before anyway, I just don't see how he could come in that much over when he's had like a year to make weight(well, excluding his time in rehab).
DCRage
11/4/08 8:18:27PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

question so this is now a 3 rd fight?? I figure it is just confirming

Yes. With the fight being non-title that means 3 rounds.
loller90278
11/4/08 8:18:48PM
wait till we hear his side of the story before u guys start bashing him. i'm sure his drug rehab and depression has something to do with this, maybe even an injury. he's made weight every other time before, so keep that in mind
Wolfenstein
11/4/08 8:20:44PM
Two things MMA fans hate more than anything else. Steroids and not making weight.
DCRage
11/4/08 8:27:14PM
A note on penalties resulting from this: Filho will be fined 25% of his purse. That money, or at least some of it, probably will wind up going to Sonnen.
HENDO915
11/4/08 8:29:55PM
Man what was he thinking? I like Filho a lot but come on he has the responsibility as a champion to make weight, I don't understand this I mean it's pathetic, Anderson Silva cuts down from like 230.
The_Omega
11/4/08 8:34:56PM
Guess I'll report this here as we now have two threads about Filho missing weight. Filho's Corner Saying They Will Give Sonnen the Title if Sonnen Wins . Fifth paragraph mentions giving up the title if Sonnen wins the fight anyway, which would be an honorable thing to do. Let's hope they stand by their word if Sonnen does win.

Ack, just caught the rules stating I'm not supposed to link news until I've hit 25 posts. My mistake. Still getting used to this forum, so I'll be sure not to link news stories until I hit 25 posts from now on. Anyway, I thought it was interesting to note and on-topic, and someone was bound to mention it sooner or later.
Bowen50
11/4/08 8:49:27PM
this is worse than Leben in my opinion. a champion not making weight? horrendous. i personally thought he was WAYYY overrated to begin with and this is just icing on the cake. this shows that he obviously doesn't care. i hope his first fight in the UFC is against Kang so he gets mauled.

WAR SONNEN!!!!!!!!!!
juanez13
11/4/08 9:19:33PM

Posted by loller90278

wait till we hear his side of the story before u guys start bashing him. i'm sure his drug rehab and depression has something to do with this, maybe even an injury. he's made weight every other time before, so keep that in mind

Truth. I'm waiting to draw conclusions, although he always has had trouble making weight. Reason he said he was moving up to LHW, because he felt to drained when he cut weight. although I'm glad to see 25% of the purse being cut from Filho (hopefully does to Sonnen).

Filho, like few others in this sport, have the potential to be something great, above others in this sport. But shame that drugs and a personal problems have kept them from reaching those heights.
Jackelope
11/4/08 9:24:10PM
What a tragedy. We've all been waiting on this rematch for such a long time, and now the joy of finally seeing it is marred by this weight scenario. Big time negative props to Filho.

I hope Chael Sonnen grinds him out for 3 rounds of torture.
bls1919
11/4/08 10:04:02PM
It's a raw deal for Sonnen. I wonder if Paulo can say "professional" ??? My geuss is no. How do you miss weight for a titl;e fight?!?!?!?
imanidiot777
11/4/08 10:19:20PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Two things MMA fans hate more than anything else. Steroids and not making weight.

You are darn right, and then a third thing, a little farther back though, is when people disrespect each other after a fight.
Rush
11/4/08 10:42:41PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by Wolfenstein

is when people disrespect each other after a fight.

Well, yeah, but what people define as disrespect is pretty subjective.
DCRage
11/4/08 11:36:14PM

Posted by bls1919

It's a raw deal for Sonnen. I wonder if Paulo can say "professional" ??? My geuss is no. How do you miss weight for a titl;e fight?!?!?!?

A quick and easy way to get out of having to defend your title. I've seen it once or twice in high-profile boxing fights, most notably Diego Corrales-Jose Luis Castillo 2. Castillo didn't make weight, and I think he really didn't try to.
Naturaldisaster
11/4/08 11:37:34PM
1st he backs out of the fight because he's in therapy or rehab or whatever. now he doesnt make weight? BS, lost all respect for him. He should no longer be champ. Sonnan deserves it and if he wins he should get it.
Pitbull09
11/4/08 11:55:15PM
People say Filho could beat Silva when he struggles with weight and beating Sonnen?
Pitbull09
11/4/08 11:59:28PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by bls1919

A quick and easy way to get out of having to defend your title. I've seen it once or twice in high-profile boxing fights, most notably Diego Corrales-Jose Luis Castillo 2. Castillo didn't make weight, and I think he really didn't try to.

I dont get why they wouldnt allow it to be for the title if the contender makes weight? That way, a champ could protect his title that way
supatolacyl
11/5/08 12:23:46AM
How is he allowed to keep his belt when the contender makes wieght?? Makes no sense at all. I guess this is the only sure way Filho can enter into the UFC a champ. Very disappointed!! I was looking forward to his entry into the UFC, but now I don't care to see him at all, since he can't seem to respect his sport, his belt or his opponent by missing wieght by so much.
cowcatcher
11/5/08 7:45:19AM
ive defended filho on here an more than a few occasions when the talk of him being overrated comes up, but i cant find any reason to defend him here. the guy has loads of talent, but the events over the course of the last year or so lead me to believe that he might not be in the sport for too much longer because the mental aspect of the game seems to be a chore for him. between him and his trainers someone should have stepped in in the last week or so and realized there was weight that needed to be dropped, and apparently none of them have their heads on straight. very disappointing, and im pretty sure we have a replacement heel for chris leben in the ufc's MW division emerging here while chris is suspended. filho.
finnish_line
11/5/08 10:07:48AM

At best he was injured and couldn't cut weight effectively.

More likely, he doesn't care.

At worst he is intentionally cheating.
4u2nv
11/5/08 10:11:14AM
Wow such a disappointment! I was one of those chumps defending Filho also over the last few months but wow, his total disreguard for the sport and to Sonnen really pisses me off. I hope he doesn't make it to the UFC now. And if so they won't tolerate anything like this. He won't ever be champ either. I believe his mental aspects r to screwed up for it.
Pages: [1] 2