Paulo Filho Not Looking to Fight Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Paulo Filho Not Looking to Fight Anderson Silva
MMAcca
9/5/08 1:18:29AM
Apparently, Paulo Filho is sticking to earlier statements and asserting that he has no desire to fight his friend and teammate, Anderson Silva. From MMA Junkie:

Filho recently today told Tatame.com he was not considering the bout despite recent comments from Ed Soares, manager for both Filho and Silva, to the contrary.

"Definitely no," Filho said of a potential bout with Silva. "We're close friends and I believe there's space for everybody [in the UFC]. It's definitely out of my plans."

Discussions of the bout first began with UFC President Dana White's recent comments that Zuffa LLC -- owners of both the UFC and WEC -- will merge the WEC's 205-pound and 185-pound divisions into the UFC.

The undefeated Filho is ranked second in WAMMA's most recent middleweight world rankings. Only Silva is ranked higher.

LINK
haggiswashere
9/5/08 1:49:14AM
Smart guy. Heaven forbid he fights someone decent. All he is right now is a small fish in a tiny pond. and wamma also has cro cop higher than 75 % of the ufc's heavyweight division even though he was murdered in the ufc. Not to mention frank mir didn't make top 10.
bullettdodger
9/5/08 1:53:57AM
Yep Filho would get worked by Silva
Twenty20Dollars
9/5/08 2:01:04AM
Well this is what i have to say.

If Koscheck, fitch and swick arent going to fight each other. Then Filho doesnt have to fight Silva.
jlock003
9/5/08 10:39:54AM
Has anybody seen the prelims to UFC 88? Rich Franklin and Matt Hamill are old training mates and really good friends. I mean you sort of expect to have friends in a common industry, but your job is to fight. Now the issue here is, even though Zuffa is the parent company of both companies, they are still in different organizations. I personally think it could be a good fight at first glance, but at second glance, and in light of Filho's performance the first time against Sonnen....Silva whips that ass LOL. P4P poles are a good idea, but you can look at the ones we put together ourselves on this site and know that everybody who has ever seen a single fight thinks they know who number one is. Filho needs to focus on Wedensday because Sonnen looked great against Bryan Baker. Granted two different leauges as far as talent, but nonetheless Paulo has a serious test on his plate. I say if he wants to be known as, "One of the best if not the best" then he should have to fight Silva. Hell for that matter he should have to fight the rest of the world's top 185 pounders LOL. The WEC has some good fighters, but Zuffa is having a hard time spreading there guys out. Wow....sorry guys this one got away from me. Didn't mean to go chasing rabbits but I think it's all still valid.
haggiswashere
9/5/08 1:02:39PM
PaleHorse
9/5/08 1:54:54PM

Posted by MMAcca

Apparently, Paulo Filho is sticking to earlier statements and asserting that he has no desire to fight his friend and teammate, Anderson Silva. From MMA Junkie:

Filho recently today told Tatame.com he was not considering the bout despite recent comments from Ed Soares, manager for both Filho and Silva, to the contrary.

"Definitely no," Filho said of a potential bout with Silva. "We're close friends and I believe there's space for everybody [in the UFC]. It's definitely out of my plans."

Discussions of the bout first began with UFC President Dana White's recent comments that Zuffa LLC -- owners of both the UFC and WEC -- will merge the WEC's 205-pound and 185-pound divisions into the UFC.

The undefeated Filho is ranked second in WAMMA's most recent middleweight world rankings. Only Silva is ranked higher.

LINK

I've said this before a million times. The Black House MMA guys aren't fighting each other. MEANING, if Lyoto is ever champion, Anderson will not fight for the title, Anderon and Filho isn't happening, and what I think would be an awesome fight between Machida and EITHER Noguieras isn't happening either. I don't know about you guys, but I think that fighting a friend is almost as good as getting a friend a job and getting to work with him. When your job is fighting, fight your ******* friend. If Peyton Manning and Eli Manning stood across the field from each other in the Superbowl they would still play so stop acting like you have some kind of code of honor because thats not how this business should work. The point is to find the best fighter in the world, and we can't do that if people are refusing to fight other people, no matter what. This is how Tito held the LHW belt back from real contenders for so long and what KJ Noons is doing right now, its ducking fights and anyone who wants to call themselves a champion ANYWHERE should be stripped of their belt immediately if they do that.

Also think about it this way,
If you and your friend are offered 100,000 (random number) each to fight each other, would you not do it? Its stupid. I bet you could get Clay and Jason Guida (despite the size difference), Lance and Rashad Evans, Nick and Nate Diaz, and Dan and Joe Lauzon to fight for 100k a piece. Plus some of the best fights are between friends. Ex- Jared Rollins vs Jon Koppenhaver, Pete Sell vs Scott Smith, etc.
Rush
9/5/08 2:28:21PM
I'd fight a friend before I would fight some other guy. At least I know if I lose, I've lost to a person I like.
nastshabast
9/5/08 3:24:18PM
I have no beef with this. I'm sure some guys could would can and will fight their friends, but if they have a relationship outside of the ring, I'm not sure you can build that intensity and aggression and focus toward someone who is important to you. Especially when it comes to training within camps.

If they do, ok cool. But if not, whatever.
prozacnation1978
9/5/08 7:46:10PM
what a loser
it is obvious he is scared of silva
haggiswashere
9/5/08 9:56:04PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

what a loser
it is obvious he is scared of silva

Wouldn't you?!
cameron
11/6/08 7:44:22AM
well that's good because he would absolutely get destroyed and silva would not accept that fight for his last couple of fights before he retires. He wants to fight good fighters not trash fighters.