Paulo Fihlo's Performance

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Paulo Fihlo's Performance
ncordless
8/6/07 5:59:10PM
I disagree with alot of the posts about Fihlo having a poor performance against Joe Doerkson. Fihlo showed that he had a more complete game (albeit a lttle unorthodox) than anyone thought he had.

From the beginning of the fight, Doerkson did nothing but try to defend the take down and counter off it. The only time he put Filho in any danger at all is when he had that weak choke.

Doerkson did an excellent job of defending Fihlo's takedowns. He never provided an effective offense.

As the round went on, Paulo's corner recognized that Doerkson was not protecting his head and told Paulo to let his hands go. He did, and ended the fight.

His striking looked wild. He rocked Doerkson and started throwing wildly. Reminded me of another Brasilian who throws a little wild.

Fihlo showed that he has the ability to KO someone who is not letting the fight go to the ground.
wilwith1l
8/6/07 9:21:27PM
I was impressed that he went to the leather. He fought a good opponent well.
fedorwins1
8/7/07 11:55:21AM
It's idiots that have never seen Filho fight before and they were expecting something sub human like a Fedor-esque machine. They don't understand how good of a fighter Doerksen is and Filho beat him in the first round, so how was it a bad performance?
cowcatcher
8/7/07 12:04:22PM

Posted by fedorwins1

It's idiots that have never seen Filho fight before and they were expecting something sub human like a Fedor-esque machine. They don't understand how good of a fighter Doerksen is and Filho beat him in the first round, so how was it a bad performance?

exactly, the guy is as good as anyone in the MW division, unfortunately not enough people have seen him, and some may think hes not that good because he ended up in WEC and not UFC.
madmarck
8/8/07 12:13:42AM

Posted by wilwith1l

I was impressed that he went to the leather. He fought a good opponent well.

That fact that a guy who has a renowned ground game has the ability to drop someone is scary. Another Matt Serra situation maybe?

If Fihlo can improve on his stand up even more he could be a very dangerous threat to Dan Hendersen or Anderson Silva (i know they wont fight)
Stickan
8/8/07 12:43:39AM
The only difference between this fight and his Pride fights was that he didn't manage to get the fight to the floor. His stand-up has always been horrible looking to say the least but this time he actually got the TKO standing up. What new is there to complain about?

He encountered a problem and found a solution.......
ac_gi
8/9/07 12:21:31AM
I think Paulo Filho looked beatable. His most impressive win IMO was against Amar Suloev. I would like to see him fight in the big show, so we could see him tested vs other A level fighters. Doerksen is a B level fighter and got handled like he should have. This fight didn't prove anything to me.
hippysmacker
8/9/07 5:22:32AM

Posted by ac_gi

I think Paulo Filho looked beatable. His most impressive win IMO was against Amar Suloev. I would like to see him fight in the big show, so we could see him tested vs other A level fighters. Doerksen is a B level fighter and got handled like he should have. This fight didn't prove anything to me.

I agree that he has only beat near top 10 guys IMO( Misaki, Suloev, Chonan) , but I still think he's at least top 5. However I agree that I would like to see him against Hendo/ Silva/ Lindland/ Kang/ Franklin to see if I'm right.