Paulao Filho

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Paulao Filho
JimiMak
3/17/07 12:56:41AM
I just read a rumor on sherdog, that credits Tatame, that Filho is looking to move to the American market. I would think he would be a huge addition that would help to legitimize the UFC's MW category. Dana seems to be spending the most money on helping the weaker divisions. Thoughts?

Source

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=531692
loller90278
3/17/07 4:07:48AM
i see it just as a rumor, hes too close for the belt at pride to hinder his chances..
Stickan
3/17/07 7:40:44AM
I could see him beating Anderson for sure.

How tall is he? Do you guys think he could make 170 if he got a little leaner?
JimiMak
3/17/07 10:57:54AM
A year ago I would've assumed the rumor thing too. However Tatame is usually a really reliable source. Also, if Pride is in as much danger as we've all been led to believe, CroCop may have just been the tip of the iceberg on ppl jumping ship. Especially someone like Filho who is an automatic title contender. I think alliances are dwindling between the fighters and promotions now that you can make at least as much in UFC (big names, at least).
TheArchitect
3/17/07 1:36:20PM
yeah i saw that on sherdog too..
but you still have to treat it as a rumor.
redmist
3/17/07 1:36:58PM
For us it would be great from the point of view of competition, but i don't think it makes much sense for the ufc. He won't excite America, and i'd rather not hear him roundly booed.
AchillesHeel
3/17/07 1:42:48PM

Posted by Stickan

I think he could fight at 170 if he wanted to. Sherdog says he's 5'8", shorter than Georges St. Pierre, Matt Hughes, Diego Sanchez, and Karo Parisyan.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/17/07 3:44:38PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Stickan

I think he could fight at 170 if he wanted to. Sherdog says he's 5'8", shorter than Georges St. Pierre, Matt Hughes, Diego Sanchez, and Karo Parisyan.

Jeff Munson is that hieght too...
migo
3/17/07 7:42:28PM
I'd like to see him at 185 in the UFC. We need some ground champions.
hathcock32
3/17/07 9:13:26PM

Posted by loller90278

i see it just as a rumor, hes too close for the belt at pride to hinder his chances..[/QUOTE

Wasn't Cro Cop pretty close to the belt to, and he left.
ryderstrong69
3/17/07 11:16:28PM
he would be great in the ufc and hopefully kang will follow
migo
3/18/07 2:52:54AM
Kang wouldn't follow. He's got it made being a star in Korea. UFC would have to get good exposure in Korea for it to be worth it for him.
loller90278
3/18/07 2:58:27AM

Posted by hathcock32

Posted by loller90278

i see it just as a rumor, hes too close for the belt at pride to hinder his chances..[/QUOTE

Wasn't Cro Cop pretty close to the belt to, and he left.

no because he had his shot and lost
paulo never faced henderson.
somethingclever
3/18/07 6:45:59PM

Posted by ryderstrong69

he would be great in the ufc and hopefully kang will follow

roman
3/19/07 6:12:17PM

Posted by loller90278

i see it just as a rumor, hes too close for the belt at pride to hinder his chances..

Yes sir. He probably has the next shoot at the belt, or at least he should. But if he were to come to the US that would be sick.
chuteboxegod
3/20/07 6:06:01AM
he's tiny he could easily make 170
ffforgottenx
3/20/07 2:50:37PM
paulo filho in the UFC = 2 things

1) a great ground fighter getting boo'd for taking the fight to the ground by all the fans who dont understand the ground game or are too ignorant to appreciate it or even try to understand it

and

2) me =
hippysmacker
3/20/07 6:55:42PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

paulo filho in the UFC = 2 things

1) a great ground fighter getting boo'd for taking the fight to the ground by all the fans who dont understand the ground game or are too ignorant to appreciate it or even try to understand it

and

2) me =

That's a good point about the fans reaction to his fighting style, Arona too. However, both could be really dangerous with elbows on the ground if they worked at it.
JimiMak
5/14/07 5:50:06PM
Just cuz something's a rumor, doesn't mean it's not true. Everything is a rumor til it's confirmed. Like I said, it was a fairly reliable source.
Pookie
5/16/07 2:43:50PM
I personally feel that the middleweight division is the weakest in depth (followed by light heavyweight), the addition of filho would be great for the UFC. An actual contender for Silva, not to take anything away from marquardt but really...c'mon. And for the most part i dont find Filho's ground game boring in the least. And with elbows we might just have a middleweight tito ortiz/ arona mixture.
kaduey
5/16/07 2:56:37PM
Filho would not be good for the UFC because the fans would ahte his style of fighting. Him and Arona are better off staying in Japan where the fans are more educated. But if Filho were to go to the UFC he would definately hold the belt. Filho is the best middleweight in the world.
fedorwins1
5/16/07 3:44:57PM

Posted by Pookie

I personally feel that the middleweight division is the weakest in depth (followed by light heavyweight), the addition of filho would be great for the UFC. An actual contender for Silva, not to take anything away from marquardt but really...c'mon. And for the most part i dont find Filho's ground game boring in the least. And with elbows we might just have a middleweight tito ortiz/ arona mixture.

IDK Marquardt is a beast, very underrated. Not saying Marquardt would beat Filho, but it deff. won't be easy for Filho to take Marquardt out.
JimiMak
5/16/07 4:49:45PM
Any which way it's happening. I think it's a good thing. I don't find him nearly as boring as arona. I think he is the next big thing at that weight no matter where he is.
kaduey
5/18/07 2:11:33PM

Posted by chuteboxegod

he's tiny he could easily make 170

He not tiny, Filho's a monster! He's just short, and why would he move down to 170 when he can beat anyone at 185?