PAUL BUENTELLO: "EVERYBODY'S COUNTING ME OUT"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » PAUL BUENTELLO: "EVERYBODY'S COUNTING ME OUT"
babytater03
7/1/09 10:30:20AM
The hype train hasn’t even begun to roll yet, and Paul “The Headhunter” Buentello (27-10) feels he’s been cast as the underdog for his fight with Gilbert Yvel at Affliction "Trilogy." And that’s exciting to him, because there’s nowhere to go but up.

“Everybody’s already counting me out. I’ve gotta be able to do this, and be able to do that, and I love being in that position,” said Buentello. “I don’t like being in the top position. I love being counted out.”

click

here's why i posted this:

if he wins, does that give him any legitimacy to fight Top 10 HW's in Affliction? I would think it does, whether for lack of depth or truly deserving it, and he could with a good showing here be a strong force against most in Affliction.
Twenty20Dollars
7/1/09 11:24:24AM
I liked Paul in the match up over Sylvia but I hate to say it, Im counting him out against Yvel because that guy is a beast. Im mean look at what he just did last saturday.
Wallass
7/1/09 12:14:17PM
Me too. I am a pretty big Buntello fan but this is going to be a tough one for him. I see Yvel taking it by KO in the first but would be pleased if Buentello got the win,
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/1/09 12:22:26PM

Posted by Wallass

Me too. I am a pretty big Buntello fan but this is going to be a tough one for him. I see Yvel taking it by KO in the first but would be pleased if Buentello got the win,

my thoughts exactly
Mayhem13
7/1/09 2:49:18PM
Paul has some impressive kickboxing, and I really like watching him fight...but his style of striking seems to wear you down first, and then he puts you away..

Against Yvel he won't have the time to pick him apart and break him for the KO...Gilbert is too powerful and aggressive and will catch Paul, before he has the chance to wear him down.

Gilbert rnd 1 KO
whardin19
7/1/09 6:38:33PM
They just reported this match and Buentello is already whining about being the underdog? This fight is going to be a war and either of these guys could win. But I'm putting my money on Yvel.
nickcuc547
7/1/09 7:13:56PM
i think this fight's going to be an awesome scrap, but ya, i'm counting paul out, barring a flash ko, which can happen in any fight.
Jackelope
7/1/09 10:36:38PM
I would never count any fighter completely out. It's just not smart to do in MMA.

That being said, Buentello does need to wear Gilbert out, and I'm just not sure he'll be able to. I see him as an underdog for a good reason, as do most of the fans.
Wolfenstein
7/8/09 2:36:28PM
I think Paul is putting up a bit of a smoke screen. I know he's stated in interviews he's going to keep it standing but I just don't buy it. His chances will be greatly increased by taking it to the ground, otherwise there's just too big a gap in the standup.