Patience, grasshopper: Gurgel will grapple in due time

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Patience, grasshopper: Gurgel will grapple in due time
ThaAxeMurderer7
11/3/09 7:50:55PM
“If I made a dollar, man, if anybody asks me ‘Why don’t you use your jiu-jitsu?’ … It can be a 10-year-old kid in my gym to a 75-year-old man in a hair salon, the guy at the gas station, I’m always going to be asked the same question, ‘Why don’t you use your jiu-jitsu?’ And just, everything comes in due time. I have a lot of confidence in my gym. I have a lot of confidence in my standup skills, and I enjoy trading punches. People have the misconception that I do this just to please promoters. It’s nothing to do with that. I do it cause I enjoy it. I enjoy fighting standing, and I’m not the type of guy who will pursue the takedown. If the fight goes to the ground, I’m happy there, I’m comfortable there, I’m just not going to pursue the takedown all the time. I’m sure my career is far from over, so in due time, everybody is going to see me work on the ground. So patience, grasshopper. Patience.”

Former UFC lightweight Jorge Gurgel responds to critics who don’t understand why the Brazilian jiu-jitsu blackbelt continually abandons his ground game in favor of an all out slugfest.

Link
Jackelope
11/3/09 9:19:26PM
Well Gurgel, until you start taking MMA seriously no fans are going to take YOU seriously. If you're fine with that, fine. However, if you're not fine with that, don't get mad and expect them to understand your perspective because like I said- nobody takes you seriously if you have that attitude about the game.
Rush
11/3/09 9:38:10PM

Gurgel said....

People have the misconception that I do this just to please promoters. It’s nothing to do with that. I do it cause I enjoy it. I enjoy fighting standing, and I’m not the type of guy who will pursue the takedown.

I never had that putative misconception.

The way I looked at it was

1) Gurgel cannot take most guys down and knows this.

2) Gurgel either comes up with poor game plans or abandons set game plans after getting tagged (because he loses his head). It's the Andy Wang doctrine of MMA.

3) Gurgel hasn't clued into the fact that standing and trading is not winning him fights. Look at his record. He won 9/10 fights by submission (the 10th he lost by sub) prior to coming to the UFC. Since then all his fights go to decision save his sub loss to Miller. Of his Decision wins, all are against either sub UFC calibre fighters, and/or guys that are not good strikers.
bustin_mma
11/3/09 9:45:05PM
Who the hell would want to lose as a kickboxer, rather than win as a JJ player. friggen dumb
bjj1605
11/3/09 10:02:07PM
The man can do what he wants but I don't expect him to be in MMA long, especially at the top level if he ignores good game planning in favor of having a good time in the ring. You should have fun with your job but at some point you have to think about making money, and in MMA that means winning.
KaibaThedon
11/3/09 10:35:07PM
why bother with a black belt in bjj if you wont use it
Twenty20Dollars
11/3/09 10:55:14PM

Posted by Rush

3) Gurgel hasn't clued into the fact that standing and trading is not winning him fights. Look at his record. He won 9/10 fights by submission (the 10th he lost by sub) prior to coming to the UFC. Since then all his fights go to decision save his sub loss to Miller. Of his Decision wins, all are against either sub UFC calibre fighters, and/or guys that are not good strikers.

exactly what I was going to say.
SUPERMAN155
11/4/09 12:02:25AM
i think jorge is at a level with his bjj that he is a little bit bored with it, hes so good at bjj and been doin it 4 so long, i think right now hes havin more fun punching guys in the face and ruffin em up, and doesnt mind takin punches while hes doin it. i bet he looks real good standing up at the gym when hes training, and hes learning alot of new standup and getting better so he wants to use it. but for anyone who has been in the cage, you know that training and the real thing r totally different. it takes time for things to become natural and to get good enuff to be able to do the things you do in training in a real fight. i say let jorge be jorge, wutever makes him happy. his fights r still exciting, even when hes takin an ass whoopin, hes tuff an he dont stall out decisions, he battles the whole time.
MMA-San
11/4/09 12:09:05AM
If you aint in MMA to be the best then get out...if you have to use BJJ to be the best, then thats what you do
prozacnation1978
11/4/09 12:19:57AM
i think i will have a better chance grabbling my next date out of her panties than gurcel hits the ground with a opponent
Pyrenus
11/4/09 10:25:11AM
I enjoy sitting on my couch in my underwear eating cheetohs. If thats all I ever did, I wouldn't have a very good life.

Sometimes we need to do things we don't necessarily enjoy for the greater good.
Rush
11/4/09 11:00:38AM

Posted by SUPERMAN155

i think jorge is at a level with his bjj that he is a little bit bored with it,

I can appreciate that and I am sure Koscheck is the same with his wrestling. However, the difference between the two is that Gurgel refuses to use his BJJ regardless of how the fight is going, whereas Koscheck has resorted back to his wrestling when things don't go well. Bored or not, the latter is the smarter approach. That is what I think most people are criticizing Gurgel for. It's not his reasons for wanting to focus on stand up (because he likes it) it's the fact that it's all to his detriment (health and career wise).
jay98107
11/4/09 12:55:32PM

Posted by Pyrenus

I enjoy sitting on my couch in my underwear eating cheetohs. If thats all I ever did, I wouldn't have a very good life.

The greater good? You guys are taking this way too seriously. Besides, you're posting on a fantasy mixed martial arts website, which contributes to the greater good little more than cheetoh binging or keeping the fight standing when you should take it to the ground. Jorge Gurgel doesn't "need" to change his fighting style for you, or anybody other than himself. It's obvious that he should take it to the ground, but you're all acting like it's your livelihood on the line, not his. To say that he isn't taking the fight game seriously is pretty crazy to me, just because he doesn't have the best game plan in the world doesn't mean that he's not giving his all to the sport. He just beat a very game Conor Heun, and although it was by decision, all 3 of Heuns losses are by decision. Of the fighters that Gurgel has beaten by decision, Saraiva has lost 8 times, all by decision, and 4 of Abbadis 6 losses were by decision. The only one who has been finished consistently when he's lost that Gurgel couldn't finish was John Halverson. Clearly other people have had hard times finishing these fighters anyways, so pointing to his pre-ufc career as proof positive that he should have been able to finish these fighters automatically if he took it to the ground is a bit presumptuous. To say that fans of the sport don't take him seriously is ludicrous, they just take him about as seriously as they take any other b-level fighter.
Aether
11/4/09 4:01:05PM
I love the "If I had a dollar for every person who asked me this" statement.

You would probably have more dollars if you won fights and didn't have those questions asked of you to begin with. lol. In due time? OK, if you don't want to fight in the UFC, make the most money possible, gain recognition as a fighter, that's up to you I guess.
Aether
11/4/09 4:05:23PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Pyrenus

The greater good? You guys are taking this way too seriously. Besides, you're posting on a fantasy mixed martial arts website, which contributes to the greater good little more than cheetoh binging or keeping the fight standing when you should take it to the ground. Jorge Gurgel doesn't "need" to change his fighting style for you, or anybody other than himself. It's obvious that he should take it to the ground, but you're all acting like it's your livelihood on the line, not his. To say that he isn't taking the fight game seriously is pretty crazy to me, just because he doesn't have the best game plan in the world doesn't mean that he's not giving his all to the sport. He just beat a very game Conor Heun, and although it was by decision, all 3 of Heuns losses are by decision. Of the fighters that Gurgel has beaten by decision, Saraiva has lost 8 times, all by decision, and 4 of Abbadis 6 losses were by decision. The only one who has been finished consistently when he's lost that Gurgel couldn't finish was John Halverson. Clearly other people have had hard times finishing these fighters anyways, so pointing to his pre-ufc career as proof positive that he should have been able to finish these fighters automatically if he took it to the ground is a bit presumptuous. To say that fans of the sport don't take him seriously is ludicrous, they just take him about as seriously as they take any other b-level fighter.

I'm pretty sure by "greater good" he means for Gurgel's own greater good, not for the fans. He doesn't need to do it for fans, he needs to do it for himself if he actually wants to compete at the highest levels and make the most money. What people do in their spare time isn't really relevant to the argument even if he were saying what you're alleging. You're looking at maybe 10 minutes worth of time a day posting on a website as though we're all sitting on here 24 hours a day doing nothing productive lol.
Jackelope
11/4/09 4:25:23PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Pyrenus

Okay, just for clarification purposes I'm going to post my entire post here in a quote so that we're on the same page. Since clearly in some parts of your text you were addressing my post. I'll break down my reasons for stating what I did afterwards.

Posted by Jackelope

Well Gurgel, until you start taking MMA seriously no fans are going to take YOU seriously. If you're fine with that, fine. However, if you're not fine with that, don't get mad and expect them to understand your perspective because like I said- nobody takes you seriously if you have that attitude about the game.

Now here are some of your sentences

Jorge Gurgel doesn't "need" to change his fighting style for you, or anybody other than himself.

Never once in my post did I suggest that Jorge NEEDS to change his style. My post was all about choices. If he wants to change, then he can, if he doesn't want to change, then he shouldn't.

To say that he isn't taking the fight game seriously is pretty crazy to me, just because he doesn't have the best game plan in the world doesn't mean that he's not giving his all to the sport.

To me, this comes off as a pretty contradictory statement. If you're taking things seriously, that means you're doing your absolute best. In Jorge Gurgel's case, that means gameplanning and fighting with the best available skillset. I think we're all in agreement that his jits is much better than his striking, so tying the two statements together we can clearly see that

Taking the fights seriously = Using his BJJ

Henceforth, he is not taking the fights seriously. He's losing. Not saying he isn't trying his best in the standup, but I AM saying he isn't trying his best to use MMA to defeat his opponent. He is fighting in MMA matches, after all.

To say that fans of the sport don't take him seriously is ludicrous, they just take him about as seriously as they take any other b-level fighter.

Since you were also speaking of proof positive in your post, I'll point you towards the numerous fans on this very message in this very message board expressing their disagreement with his choices in the cage. Not to mention the large number of fans young and old who have addressed this issue with him in person. As was stated in the quote.

Finally, I just want to add that I am of the very firm belief that his choices are his own to make. If he's angry/frustrated/disappointed/whatever at the fans for asking that question (which, clearly he is if he took the effort to address it in a quote) then he should do something to fix it. If he doesn't care, then he should go on about doing things the way he's doing them. Do I take him seriously and could he kick my ass? Without a doubt. Do I take him seriously in comparison to fighters who are at his same level when they go into a fight with him? Absolutely not. I say it on my camp's message board all the time- "Gurgel is fighting. You know the gameplan- stand and get his ass kicked." I just don't think putting forth anything but your absolute best effort constitutes taking the fight game seriously. But again, I will clarify one last time that this is HIS choice. He made his bed.. now he's got to sleep in it. Whether that bed has disappointed fans in it or not.
ncordless
11/4/09 4:40:37PM
He can do what he wants, but I know I wouldn't want to train jiu-jitsu under someone who would rather strike with little skill rather than use their skills... the skills he has spent a lifetime attaining and now teaches to others.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/4/09 4:58:48PM
Godamn you jorge ..... godamn you ......

I dont watch your fights because im hoping to see 3 rounds of sloppy kickboxing !!!

I want to watch you grapple!!!!!

IMO hes still mentally blocked from imanari f**cking his knee . Getting tapped by a purple belt couldnt of helped either !!!

Just solidified my pick for friday!!
CwB
11/4/09 6:42:40PM
If Gurgel has fallen in love with striking then he should join Kickboxing, boxing,or any other striking sport.

George has the right idea in the sense that he has dedicated large amounts of time to his weakest aspect. (To be a champ you must be great in all areas) But he has dedicated so much time and training to striking that it has effected his ground skills. George should have never been submitted by Cole Miller but he ignored his ground training.

Every athlete I know has the desire to be the best in the world and they will use what ever avenue to success that presents itself. George is only hurting himself by ignoring his strength. Money and Fans come with wins ( and not un-technical striking Dec. wins)

Maybe a brutal KO will slap Gurgel back to reality.