Pat Barry

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pat Barry
Aether
5/24/09 1:54:52AM
I was initially pretty excited about this guy, although I knew that his ground game was an obvious question mark and that it was more than likely weak, I was pretty disappointed tonight. It was beyond weak, it was completely non-existent.

It's a shame, I really like seeing top shelf kickboxers coming into the sport, but you'd think they'd realize they at least need a sprawl of some kind and some at least basic defense on the ground. He's looking to me like a HW version of Houston Alexander right now only with much better standup. I'm really hoping to see the next crocop as it were. A lethal k-1 level striker who can force the fight standing and has enough sub defense to survive if it goes to the ground. I think Pat will stay in kickboxing when he realizes he doesn't have the time required to develop his sub D. Too bad, he is an exciting striker.
kopower
5/24/09 1:58:46AM
I agree. His ground game was laughable.
cmill21
5/24/09 2:15:24AM
Goes to show how rare Cro Cop is...
The_Ho_Bag
5/24/09 2:24:26AM

Posted by cmill21

Goes to show how rare Cro Cop is...

WAR CC
burialchamber
5/24/09 2:26:04AM
I am really let down. I had really high hopes that he was going to be able to stay on the outside and sprawl, or at least hang on for a referee standup if he got put on his back, but he miserably failed. He even said in the post-fight interview last time that he's been working on his wrestling and JJ so I thought he'd at least have a basic idea of what he's doing, but if he's really been working on those things it does NOT show.

I do hope he gets a reality check and starts training his ground game like mad, because I really like the guy's style otherwise.
Jackelope
5/24/09 9:33:28AM
Meh, I was disappointed, too. I'm not too mad about it, though. That was a pretty slick Guillotine even if it was telegraphed pretty clearly. You'd have liked to have seen Barry at least try to get his legs out and move to the side a bit, but it's still early in his career. I'm willing to give him another fight or two to prove his worthiness of UFC competition
State_Champ
5/24/09 11:05:40AM
Could Pat Barry make 205? Because I think he's too small to fight at HW.
Also, even though he lost I thought he displayed some great stand-up.
Twenty20Dollars
5/24/09 11:21:45AM

Posted by State_Champ

Could Pat Barry make 205? Because I think he's too small to fight at HW.
Also, even though he lost I thought he displayed some great stand-up.

See that was my reason to pick Hague. Hague had 30 lbs on Barry and Hague was like 6'4" to Barry's 5'11".

Being 5'11" I just dont know if that will cut it in the HW division.
Franklinfan47
5/24/09 12:42:41PM
I though he looked like he could make 205 as well, he's kind of a bulky heavyweight.

In regards to his fight, I was really disapointed. I thought he was going to knock Hague out, which he almost did, but as soon as it hit the ground it was over. I would rate his ground game somewhere between 0 and 1. He really needs to work on it, striking isnt enough nowadays.
copcopps
5/24/09 12:58:40PM
I just hope they keep Barry I like him and I hope he isn't released. HW or LHW he'll do good things.

Heck let him fight Houston, that would be fun to see
Khaos
5/24/09 2:32:24PM
I picked hauge because I thought his ground game was better the Pat's, because his was a question marked, so I luckily picked the fight perfectly.
sparky
5/24/09 4:49:31PM
Give him CroCop!!!!!!!!!
Hendo67
5/24/09 5:27:11PM
Barry is a very, very, very good kickboxer, and actually he's a decent wrestler as well. He said himself he needs to work hard and train in BJJ.

I'll always be a fan of Barry, he's probably one of the most down to earth fighters out there, and i do think he can be a force.
He's 5'11'' 230ish, i'm not sure if he can make 205, it looks like his build is a bit different.
Hendo67
5/24/09 5:28:25PM

Posted by copcopps

I just hope they keep Barry I like him and I hope he isn't released. HW or LHW he'll do good things.

Heck let him fight Houston, that would be fun to see

Barry would absolutely maul Houston, lol