Partnership between Affliction MMA and Golden Boy Promotions off

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Partnership between Affliction MMA and Golden Boy Promotions off
MMAcca
10/24/08 3:48:04PM
The big plan to make pay-per-view super cards featuring both MMA and boxing has apparently already been knocked out.

ESPN.com reports Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions has changed its mind about combining the two sports. Last month Golden Boy and MMA upstart Affliction announced a deal to co-promote events.

The deal came in the days following Affliction’s cancellation of a scheduled card in Las Vegas.

The move was met with skepticism from fans of both sports. However, many in the MMA world hoped the partnership could lead to bigger paydays for fighters and help make Affliction viable competition to the UFC.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com that criticism of merging the sports was part of the decision to scrap the idea.

LINK
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/24/08 3:49:54PM
what a surprise
emfleek
10/24/08 3:51:32PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

what a surprise

Agreed.

Anyone have the odds on whether or not Affliction will even make it to January??
wiggum
10/24/08 3:52:59PM
thank god....two seperate sports, keep them that way......people who wanna watch boxing, watch boxing...people who wanna watch mma, watch mma...people who want to watche tae kwon do and not judo, do so.....no hybrid crap and stick to making awesome mma cards for mma fans!
tuvok500
10/24/08 4:20:34PM

Posted by emfleek

what a surprise

Agreed.

Anyone have the odds on whether or not Affliction will even make it to January??

I say the odds should be :

will be in business after the next 6 months = +300

Out of business in the next 6 months = -360

As for the January event, i think it will happen unless the recession force them to close their doors.

DevonFoxy
10/24/08 4:24:07PM
Dana White = Prophet?He didn't say this was gonna break up but he did say hed be surprised if Affliction survived past January so here we go with the countdown.

Not a big surprise but at the same time pretty disappointing for the guys who aren't UFC caliber or would rather have exclusive contracts cuz this perhaps is the beginning of the end.
MMAcca
10/24/08 4:32:02PM

Posted by emfleek

what a surprise

Agreed.

I am just as sceptical as you emfleek. It took me months to even beleive the first event would happen, let alone seeing a second one in January
Branwest
10/24/08 5:42:24PM
I'm thrilled. A co-promotion of boxing and MMA? Come on, if the Affliction's deal with CBS came through, then how would they fit all that into two hours? The Elite events ran from 9 to 11, and the other from 10 to 12. Just one boxing match would've ate most of that time up. Plus, they have to fit Ozzy or whoever else they get to play. What is it? A concert? A boxing event? An MMA event? Come on, if I pay for an MMA event, I want to see an MMA event. Don't get me wrong, I like boxing and I pay for certain events, but I want to keep the sports seperate. I would've liked to see the bigger payday for athletes, but I don't want to see these sports merge. Besides, Affliction has been paying their athletes pretty well thus far (through one event). Let's wait and see if the January event happens. I hope it does. If Affliction does go under, let's hope that Fedor and Barnett will realize that the only logical choice is the UFC. DREAM isn't exactly a great viable option if they truly want to fight the best of the best.
cmill21
10/24/08 5:55:20PM
I was looking foreword to seeing Paquio vs Maywheather and Fedor vs Barny on the same card. Dang.
The-Don
10/24/08 5:56:35PM

Posted by emfleek

what a surprise

Agreed.

Affliction will be around for as long as Donald Trump wants it to be around.. he has the money and so far seems more then willing to spend it to promote this shows along with the Reality show... Fighting Fedor.. Until it is announced The Donald is no longer backing them I do not see them going anywhere.. .
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
10/24/08 6:13:17PM
Gotta keep em separated
Sam_Rothstein
10/24/08 6:46:11PM
I think de la hoya probably realized it was a big risk for a small reward. Mark Cuban is mma's best bet at rival to ufc. He has the money to blow on doing it, it's just will he want to or is he gonna focus more on trying to buy the cubs lol
Wolfenstein
10/24/08 10:34:47PM
Good idea. It was kind of like schedueling water polo in between the innings of a baseball game. The two just don't mix.