W/ all the parity in lhw division, can anyone defend the belt for a long period of time?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » W/ all the parity in lhw division, can anyone defend the belt for a long period of time?
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/9/08 2:20:47PM
think of all the fighters in the division
Forrest, Lyoto, Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Wandy, Chuck, Thiago Silva, Franklin, hamill, alexander, Jardine, Soko, & Vera

fighters & the people that beat them

forrest-jardine
jardine-alexander, wandy
lyoto-not sure yet (too bad thiago fight isnt happenin)
thiago-(see lyoto)
shogun-forrest
rashad-(we all saw tito beat him but lsoe a point & make a draw)
wandy-chuck
chuck-jardine, ramp, rashad
soko-lyoto
vera-andy reese
franklin-lyoto a while back, & lets be honest, if he went through the whole lhw division unscathed, he'd have to answer to the spider

now can u think of one fighter that can beat ALL the other fighters?
right now, i cant

this division could carry an organization by itself IMO
nickcuc547
9/9/08 3:10:47PM
Definitively... NO!!!
wiggum
9/9/08 3:12:00PM
i think at this point the only fighter who could/would most likely be the victor over anybody in the division more than anyone else is lyoto machida....say what you want about his style, but i think that he will be causing fits for anybody that fights him....rampage and griffin i think are the others sitting close to the top but i believe that machida at his current pace wins decision against either one of them
RandyCouture
9/9/08 3:17:37PM
I dont see any fighter holding the belt for anymore then 2 or 3 fights, and if they do you would have to call them one of the most dominate fighters in the history of the ufc. Back in the day guys like tito ortiz, matt hughes, chuck liddell they held the belts for years but that was with way weaker divsions. Being that the divison is so strong with top fighters you would def have to call them one of the top fighters in the ufc of all time IMO.
Wolfenstein
9/9/08 3:35:18PM
I think Machida could hold onto the belt for a while. No one matches up well with him. The one guy I think could give him trouble isn't quite a contender yet, but he's an aggressive southpaw with good jitzu and that's Luiz Cane.

It will be tough for anyone t hang onto the belt. Every guy you fight ould legitimately be the #1 contender. Anyo ne who can hang onto the belt for a year might have a good shot at becoming the #1 p4p fighter.
DoTheMMAth
9/9/08 3:48:11PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

think of all the fighters in the division
Forrest, Lyoto, Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Wandy, Chuck, Thiago Silva, Franklin, hamill, alexander, Jardine, Soko, & Vera

fighters & the people that beat them

forrest-jardine
jardine-alexander, wandy
lyoto-not sure yet (too bad thiago fight isnt happenin)
thiago-(see lyoto)
shogun-forrest
rashad-(we all saw tito beat him but lsoe a point & make a draw)
wandy-chuck
chuck-jardine, ramp, rashad
soko-lyoto
vera-andy reese
franklin-lyoto a while back, & lets be honest, if he went through the whole lhw division unscathed, he'd have to answer to the spider

now can u think of one fighter that can beat ALL the other fighters?
right now, i cant

Out of all the folks you listed I believe that Machida would hold the belt the longest, however I'm not sure the UFC brass is too terribly thrilled at the prospect of having someone so "elusive" and "fighting intelligently" hold the belt, as can be guesstimated by the way that folks with less impressive resumes have gotten title shots many times before.

Call me a Pride nuthugger, but I believe that an in-shape, injury-free Shogun is still a force to be reckoned with. Granted, I know, he did get submitted by Forrest and has dropped off the radar while he recuperates from his injury, but if he sticks around while getting in-shape and healthy I can see him making a title run and holding it a while.

Rampage? I just don't think the guy is stable enough to hold the belt down, especially considering that 2 of the Brazilians in your list have worked him over in the past without any question. Who knows though... maybe the British Wolf's Lair is just what the doctor ordered for Quinton?.... I'll take a wait-and-see attitude there...

Rashad? I just don't see him getting the belt or holding it, I'm sorry. They were just speaking on the Sherdog Beatdown after the bell about how no other "bigname" fighter has a lower Compu fight/stats (whatever the crap it's called) activity score than Rashad does. Getting out-worked by Sean Salmon for a round then landing a big head-kick, doing nothing but "Dancing With The Stars" against Chuck until landing 1 massive shot, losing to Tito then winning by Tito's fence grab, and winning a controversial decision against middleweight Bisping just doesn't make me believe that he's longterm belt-holder material. Yes, technically he won all those fights, I won't argue that - but when push comes to shove, and a belt is on the line, I just don't see him "Machida-ing" well enough to win and keep it.

Wandy - Perennial top 5-10; chance to get the belt if Lyoto and Chuck aren't matched up against him. Love the guy though... out of everyone you mentioned I don't think I'd like to see anyone have the belt more than Wandy.

Jardine - No, just.... no. The LHW champ isn't someone who can't get past round 1 with Wandy or Houston Alexander.

Thiago Silva - Looks good so far, if not a little rough, but I think we're all waiting for him to have a victory worth counting. Yes, he beat Houston Alexander... on the ground. That's great and all, but doesn't make him even worthy of a title shot yet. I have my doubts on how he would fair against 1) a well-rounded gameplanner, aka Forrest or 2) a good counter striker like Chuck, Machida, etc.

Soko - Young and explosive guy for sure, but needs to age a bit and marinate himself in the UFC to know when to throw his explosiveness, when to survive, and when to pick his shots.

Vera - I just don't have much faith in Vera. He had some mildly noteworthy feats back before he disappeared for contract problems, but since then he's been better at throwing excuses then muay thai.

Franklin - Way too early to say how he's going to fair. In my jaded little mind he's well-rounded enough and can put out enough damage to be a threat to most of the folks on your list, in theory, but he needs to go through some LHW fire before being considered someone who can even ask for the belt in his post-fight interviews.
DiabloFreak56
9/9/08 4:21:14PM
yes if it is machida. no to anyone else. i think machida has the best style to be able to beat almost anyone in the division. and to keep that belt for a long time
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/9/08 4:21:52PM

Call me a Pride nuthugger, but I believe that an in-shape, injury-free Shogun is still a force to be reckoned with. Granted, I know, he did get submitted by Forrest and has dropped off the radar while he recuperates from his injury, but if he sticks around while getting in-shape and healthy I can see him making a title run and holding it a while.

loves me some shogun
Pookie
9/9/08 7:45:32PM
I think out of the top ten fighters theres only 2 fighters that i could see going 7-2 or 8-1against the rest of the top ten... and thats Machida and Rua.
coldchillin
9/9/08 7:53:51PM
The only guy I could see holding the belt for a long time is Machida. I think his biggest threat is actually Shogun though but I'm talking about the Shogun who ran through Overeem and Arona not the out of shape one I saw against Griffin. (thanks Shogun, now we have Forrest Griffin headlining shows)

Griffin is going to lose the belt in his first defense.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/9/08 9:42:27PM
Anderson would beat them all . I dont know if that will happen because i see machida beating them all also.
haggiswashere
9/10/08 4:30:34AM

Posted by RandyCouture

I dont see any fighter holding the belt for anymore then 2 or 3 fights, and if they do you would have to call them one of the most dominate fighters in the history of the ufc. Back in the day guys like tito ortiz, matt hughes, chuck liddell they held the belts for years but that was with way weaker divsions. Being that the divison is so strong with top fighters you would def have to call them one of the top fighters in the ufc of all time IMO.

i disagree. when matt hughes was champ was just as stacked as nowadays. it was the most impressive the welterweight division has ever been. look at his opponents and think about how good they were then.
haggiswashere
9/10/08 4:32:26AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

ONE DIVISION CARRYING ITSELF?! THATS CRAZY!! now im gonna go watch the affliction heavyweight division and the uh.....other divisions too...
cloud301336
9/10/08 1:30:57PM
Yeah i think anderson silva would give them a run for their money, or in this case belt.
Bowen50
9/10/08 2:25:18PM
i honestly think Forrrest has the tools to keep the belt for a while. Machida and Wanderlei are the other 2 guys that i think can hold the belt for a long time.
Pitbull09
9/10/08 10:11:00PM
Not really. There is no real guy that is extremely better than all the others like in the other divisions. Machida in time will be a great champ but thats in time.
tooly236
9/13/08 9:43:53PM
In ten years people will talk about Machida like we talk about Fedor. Once he gets the belt, it will stay there for a while.
WrestlersAssassin
9/13/08 11:44:11PM
Machida or Anderson (Anderson would beat Machida)

And I think he will defend the belt quite a few times too, but the real question is a LONG TIME with multiple defenses, which is probably a no, what Tito and Chuck did in the LH division probably wont be done again because of the rise in talent and the rise in competition (in all divisions frankly) it's improved tenfold since the late 90's - early 00's.

I hope Wand gets it and keeps it for a long time tho, which is very likely as well.
haggiswashere
9/14/08 2:31:44AM

Posted by tooly236

In ten years people will talk about Machida like we talk about Fedor. Once he gets the belt, it will stay there for a while.

with the way the sports going we don't need a fighter like machida though. we need someone who can draw viewers. he has some fans but i doubt he would make mainstream audiences start paying attention. His style isn't entertaining to alot of people
theman209
9/14/08 7:06:15AM
Out of all the guys mentioned, Machida certainly is the one that stands out the most. If you put the belt on anyone else, barring maybe Wandy (a little bit bias maybe), odds are they won't hold onto the belt that long. That just goes to show how strong and star-studded this division is.

However, I think it'll hardly matter who has the belt soon. This is because the prospect of Anderson Silva moving up to 205 permanently is something I think will definitely be happening if he continues to rip through all his challengers at 185.

Some say he should have a rematch with Hendo or maybe Marquardt, but I tend to disagree. I say, if he stops both Cote and then Okami via murder, then just move his ass up to 205 permanently. A lot more marketable match-ups for him there and him taking the strap at 205 is something I think would be very likely.

Then again, he's only taken out James Irvin at that weight class so he'd still have to be given a few more fights against stiffer competition to see whether he can be as successful at 205 as he is at 185. I personally think only Machida might pose a problem for Silva.

That's just how I see it going down over the course of the next year but as MMA has proven time and time again, nothing is for certain in this sport.
imanidiot777
9/14/08 11:06:56AM
I think Anderson Silva would be able to win and hold the belt, he's got in the octagon.