Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum
think of all the fighters in the division
Forrest, Lyoto, Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Wandy, Chuck, Thiago Silva, Franklin, hamill, alexander, Jardine, Soko, & Vera
fighters & the people that beat them
lyoto-not sure yet (too bad thiago fight isnt happenin)
rashad-(we all saw tito beat him but lsoe a point & make a draw)
chuck-jardine, ramp, rashad
franklin-lyoto a while back, & lets be honest, if he went through the whole lhw division unscathed, he'd have to answer to the spider
now can u think of one fighter that can beat ALL the other fighters?
right now, i cant
this division could carry an organization by itself IMO
Out of all the folks you listed I believe that Machida
would hold the belt the longest, however I'm not sure the UFC brass is too terribly thrilled at the prospect of having someone so "elusive" and "fighting intelligently" hold the belt, as can be guesstimated by the way that folks with less impressive resumes have gotten title shots many times before.
Call me a Pride nuthugger, but I believe that an in-shape, injury-free Shogun
is still a force to be reckoned with. Granted, I know, he did get submitted by Forrest and has dropped off the radar while he recuperates from his injury, but if he sticks around while getting in-shape and healthy I can see him making a title run and holding it a while.Rampage
? I just don't think the guy is stable enough to hold the belt down, especially considering that 2 of the Brazilians in your list have worked him over in the past without any question. Who knows though... maybe the British Wolf's Lair is just what the doctor ordered for Quinton?.... I'll take a wait-and-see attitude there...Rashad
? I just don't see him getting the belt or holding it, I'm sorry. They were just speaking on the Sherdog Beatdown after the bell about how no other "bigname" fighter has a lower Compu fight/stats (whatever the crap it's called) activity score than Rashad does. Getting out-worked by Sean Salmon for a round then landing a big head-kick, doing nothing but "Dancing With The Stars" against Chuck until landing 1 massive shot, losing to Tito then winning by Tito's fence grab, and winning a controversial decision against middleweight Bisping just doesn't make me believe that he's longterm belt-holder material. Yes, technically he won all those fights, I won't argue that - but when push comes to shove, and a belt is on the line, I just don't see him "Machida-ing" well enough to win and keep it.Wandy
- Perennial top 5-10; chance to get the belt if Lyoto and Chuck aren't matched up against him. Love the guy though... out of everyone you mentioned I don't think I'd like to see anyone have the belt more than Wandy.Jardine
- No, just.... no. The LHW champ isn't someone who can't get past round 1 with Wandy or Houston Alexander.Thiago Silva
- Looks good so far, if not a little rough, but I think we're all waiting for him to have a victory worth counting. Yes, he beat Houston Alexander... on the ground. That's great and all, but doesn't make him even worthy of a title shot yet. I have my doubts on how he would fair against 1) a well-rounded gameplanner, aka Forrest or 2) a good counter striker like Chuck, Machida, etc.Soko
- Young and explosive guy for sure, but needs to age a bit and marinate himself in the UFC to know when to throw his explosiveness, when to survive, and when to pick his shots.Vera
- I just don't have much faith in Vera. He had some mildly noteworthy feats back before he disappeared for contract problems, but since then he's been better at throwing excuses then muay thai.Franklin
- Way too early to say how he's going to fair. In my jaded little mind he's well-rounded enough and can put out enough damage to be a threat to most of the folks on your list, in theory, but he needs to go through some LHW fire before being considered someone who can even ask for the belt in his post-fight interviews.