Pan American Championships Medal Winning School (advice)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Pan American Championships Medal Winning School (advice)
POLL: Try the school?
Ya 100% (5)
No 0% (0)
haggiswashere
11/12/08 3:29:04AM
Well a school i have been looking into (bernales institute of martial arts) took home 3 medals this year, 2 bronze and 1 gold. The 2 bronzes were 1 at black belt masters middleweight division and one at white belt masters middleweight. and the gold was at blue belt masters middleweight. Is this is a sign of a good school? it took home way more than any school in utah. ideas? do you guys think this sounds like an ok school or do you think i should look somewehere else.

oh and plus the instructor Will Bernales is the Thai Boxing Asociation of America's Utah representitive.

Results
Official School Website
Their listing on the TBA of USA website

Help would be greatly appreciated
haggiswashere
11/12/08 3:40:39AM
lol i hate asking questions at night

EDIT: BTW i had to pick something on the poll to see the results so i just picked "yes"

EDIT #2: Notable MMA Fighters they have trained for long term or for just a few weeks...

Harold Lucambio was doing good but after he lost his title lost like 3 really close together. He also was drafted into the IFL the same year, Matt Brown, Amir Sadollah and Jesse Taylor but didn't try out for TUF. Then IFL went under the year all those guys were drafted.... so he got screwed.
Rob MacDonald We had him down here for one or 2 of his fights. he was not that impressive in the UFC
Sterling Nitsuma Kind of an up and comer at the school. He is coming off 2 losses to Jeremy Horn guys at a Jeremy Horn promotion but if he makes a come back he could be really good.

It seems like they don't have a whole ton of talented guys yet but they are grwoing. thats my problem. their guys records aren't amazing but the awards the school gets are good...
haggiswashere
11/12/08 4:17:07AM
another one i was looking at was Elite Performance which i Jeremy Horns gym but i don't have alot of respect for the fighters that come out of there. and i want an actual martial art to train and mot mma, no disrespect to you mma school guys but its just not my thing. here is a video of Harold Lucambrio training and an interview. Link
Wolfenstein
11/12/08 10:56:24AM
I'm not really up to date on who is currently with Pro Elite, but from what I can recall from memory I think a few of the guys are Jeremy Horn, Joe Riggs, Travis Wiuff, and Jeremy Peterson. All of them top guys.

I may come off as a little bit of a jerk for saying this, but you should really respect everyone in the martial arts. I have to ask who it is you don't respect from that group, because at the very least Jeremy Horn is one of the classiest guys in MMA. I met him at a seminarI go to a ton of seminars, well as many as I can make it to) and let me tell you he's also an awesome instructor. Watching events you can definetely grow to dislike some guys, but trust me it's a different story meeting them in person and training with them. Personally I've gotten to train at Team Link in Ware, Ma and I've had the oppurtunity to train with Gabriel Gonzaga on occasion. A guy I didn't really care for watching on TV but having met him it's definetely changed my opinion, and now I have a great deal of respect for him. So basically just don't write it off completely.

I would say try Pro-Elite because you'll have a chance to train in thai boxing as well as jiu-jitsu with some of the best in the world.

The other place looks like a good facility. They train Jeet Kune Do concepts, which can pretty much mean anything, but I would assume training would involve trap fighting and wing chun techniques which is really cool and different as long as it's done by a competent instructor. Unfortunately there's a lot shams that have tried to ride the jeet kune do wave and really have no idea what they're doing, but this place looks reputable.

I haven't heard of the instructors before but it says the BJJ instructor was trained by Pedro Sauer (who I do know of) and I believe hes a sixth degree BB in BJJ under Rickson Gracie. I would think the BJJ instructor would be a pretty legit and competent instructor.

In closing, I would say take a couple classes at both schools and judge for yourself. Don't commit to a school until you've ried a few classes to see if it's for you. Good luck!

haggiswashere
11/12/08 11:03:56PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I'm not really up to date on who is currently with Pro Elite, but from what I can recall from memory I think a few of the guys are Jeremy Horn, Joe Riggs, Travis Wiuff, and Jeremy Peterson. All of them top guys.

I may come off as a little bit of a jerk for saying this, but you should really respect everyone in the martial arts. I have to ask who it is you don't respect from that group, because at the very least Jeremy Horn is one of the classiest guys in MMA. I met him at a seminarI go to a ton of seminars, well as many as I can make it to) and let me tell you he's also an awesome instructor. Watching events you can definetely grow to dislike some guys, but trust me it's a different story meeting them in person and training with them. Personally I've gotten to train at Team Link in Ware, Ma and I've had the oppurtunity to train with Gabriel Gonzaga on occasion. A guy I didn't really care for watching on TV but having met him it's definetely changed my opinion, and now I have a great deal of respect for him. So basically just don't write it off completely.

I would say try Pro-Elite because you'll have a chance to train in thai boxing as well as jiu-jitsu with some of the best in the world.

The other place looks like a good facility. They train Jeet Kune Do concepts, which can pretty much mean anything, but I would assume training would involve trap fighting and wing chun techniques which is really cool and different as long as it's done by a competent instructor. Unfortunately there's a lot shams that have tried to ride the jeet kune do wave and really have no idea what they're doing, but this place looks reputable.

I haven't heard of the instructors before but it says the BJJ instructor was trained by Pedro Sauer (who I do know of) and I believe hes a sixth degree BB in BJJ under Rickson Gracie. I would think the BJJ instructor would be a pretty legit and competent instructor.

In closing, I would say take a couple classes at both schools and judge for yourself. Don't commit to a school until you've ried a few classes to see if it's for you. Good luck!

bernales is a thai box and bjj school too and stuff.

and i do respect there abilities and how hard they train but some of them are kinda dicks. like james birdsley, and casey beckstead (knew him personally) and you didnt sound like a jerk thanks for the advice i probabaly will try both just in case
haggiswashere
11/14/08 4:41:22AM
anybody else have any advice? I want a lot of different point of views and stuff please?
haggiswashere
11/15/08 12:41:45AM
Pretty please with sugar on top?! Come on guys please?
The-Don
11/17/08 4:36:00PM
which ever school you feel most comfortable in is the school I would choose.