Are palm strikes legal?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Are palm strikes legal?
POLL: Do you think palm strikes are effective?
yes 77% (10)
no 15% (2)
dont care 8% (1)
Cobbs666
2/6/07 6:08:28PM
Just wondering are palm strikes legal in UFCtm or Pridetm? I remember Bas used to use them alot back in the early days.
zephead
2/6/07 6:09:31PM
In Pancrase, closed fists weren't allowed.
Cobbs666
2/6/07 6:11:06PM
ya, i knew that, what about now though, or are they just not used because they are not as effective
zephead
2/6/07 6:17:29PM
Nobody uses them but they're legal. Bas asked that same question once.
pv3Hpv3p
2/6/07 6:20:42PM

Posted by Cobbs666

ya, i knew that, what about now though, or are they just not used because they are not as effective

I think you hit the nail on the head right there...

Probably be awkward with your hands wrapped and the 4oz gloves on too.
Cobbs666
2/6/07 7:47:06PM
ya but i was thinking if someone was on they're back with someone in their guard , lying in defencive mode on his or her chest and couldnt get the space for an elbow, or a decent punch , i think short palm strikes to the cheekbones or anywhere on the face would take their toll, or if someones got you tied up against the fence
JimiMak
2/6/07 7:47:43PM
They're legal. I think they're just not normally considered effective. Bas was one of the few, maybe the only, one to show that is wrong.
shawneth
2/6/07 8:14:05PM
I think they could be quite effective if your kinda clinched up with the guy and they you throw a palm strike to the nose.... his nose would be done with. But in most situations I would say they are pretty ineffective.
JunCTion
2/6/07 8:32:35PM
kieth hackney used them
Cobbs666
2/6/07 9:34:22PM

Posted by shawneth

I think they could be quite effective if your kinda clinched up with the guy and they you throw a palm strike to the nose.... his nose would be done with. But in most situations I would say they are pretty ineffective.

ya if u got the room a punch will probably do alot more damage, but some situatuions the palms can do more
mrsumo
2/7/07 2:56:17AM

Posted by JunCTion

kieth hackney used them

I remember the palm strike to yarborough, but those weren't open palms on Jo Sons nuts!
Svartorm
2/7/07 3:38:09AM
Palmstrikes have their place, but most arts don't use them anymore. Palm strikes are great for disengaging a clinch or setting up a takedown from clinch, because they move the head much more than a punch will and that can be used as a distraction.

Plus a palm to the jaw is actually more likely to KO someone than a punch at close range. There are different ways to KO people, but snapping someones head to the side or straight back will put a lot of people down where a punch to the temple wouldn't.
madmarck
2/7/07 6:55:15AM

Posted by zephead

Nobody uses them but they're legal. Bas asked that same question once.

I recall Nick Diaz Slapping Robbie Lawler in their fight...... wasn't very effective except it pissed Robbie off.
Manfred
2/7/07 10:49:19AM
Didn't Royce use them from the guard on people's ears to mess up concentration and balance?

Madmarck: Did you get my message?
JunCTion
2/7/07 1:36:11PM
how did jo son hold on as long as he did. i'd have brokenthe hold after one hit.
JunCTion
2/7/07 1:37:50PM
yeah, royce did that a lot when he was on top. it didn't look like they hurt but they did work
Cobbs666
2/7/07 2:54:28PM
instead of a downward elbow which isnt allowed, when his head is on the mat just drop in with a vicous palm strike to the face... would do alot of damage

SICKRICK
2/7/07 3:11:21PM
well taht would send the nose bone to the brain and kill the person its about a 50-50 chance of death
Svartorm
2/7/07 5:49:18PM

Posted by Cobbs666

instead of a downward elbow which isnt allowed, when his head is on the mat just drop in with a vicous palm strike to the face... would do alot of damage

An elbow would actually hurt much worse and be more likely to knock you out in that situation.
mrsumo
2/7/07 10:23:17PM

Posted by SICKRICK

well taht would send the nose bone to the brain and kill the person its about a 50-50 chance of death

No bro, that is one of those martial arts myths. You can't really shove the nose bone into the brain. The cartilidge can't penetrate the skull. Alot of people believe that though. It's like chi blasts or the Death Touch.
jmoooooo
2/7/07 11:24:06PM
Ive seen Royce do it from the bottom, on the ears of his opponent.