Palhares Sees Title Shot In Future

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Palhares Sees Title Shot In Future
MMAcca
9/2/08 1:32:21AM
Rousimar Palhares is already talking of a UFC middleweight title fight with Anderson Silva - despite having fought only once in the organisation.

Palhares made his debut at UFC 84 in May with a slick armbar victory over Ivan Salaverry that made many sit up and take notice.

This weekend, the Brazilian finds himself facing another veteran in the shape of 39-year-old former Olympian Dan Henderson.

"He is a great fighter, and he will demand a lot of attention from me during the fight," he told the UFC website.

A win "would be a huge step in my career... it will make it easier for me to have a chance to fight for the belt".

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
9/2/08 1:38:11AM
Palhares is going to be closer to a title shot once he beats 39 year old danny hendo this saturday!
bullettdodger
9/2/08 1:57:32AM
Only thing Palhares is going to see in the future is a doctor asking him how many fingers he is holding up after Hendo mauls him.
Aether
9/2/08 2:12:35AM
I'm pretty surprised that so many people are picking Palhares to beat Henderson. Sure, the guy clearly has great jiu-jitsu, but what has anyone seen from him that indicates he's ready for someone as experienced as Henderson? The mount he got on Ivan Salaverry? Or is it just because Henderson lost two fights in a row? He's definitely got great potential, I just don't think we've seen enough from Rousimar to assume that he's going to beat someone of Dan's Caliber.

I guess we'll find out in a few days. This is one of the fights I'm looking forward to the most.

-edit-
As far as the title shot, with the way the division is looking and how badly anderson is beating everyone I'm pretty sure a win over henderson would send him directly to a title shot. They would probably give him one more fight that they think he could win, and then give him the shot after okami. There isn't exactly a big lineup ahead of him.
clintjack
9/2/08 4:26:20AM
Just because we haven't seen anything else from him yet, doesn't mean he doesn"t posess the skills.
whardin19
9/2/08 7:46:05AM
Don't get too ahead of yourself Palhares. You still got to beat a pretty solid fighter in Henderson and a few other contenders. Having only two fights in the organization isn't going to get your a title shot no matter how weak the division is.
HighKick07
9/2/08 8:00:36AM
I think ud be surprised at how quick hell get a shot.but hendo will kill him
Twenty20Dollars
9/2/08 8:03:54AM
i mean if palhares beats hendo then he will prolly fight a contender or two and then if he wins those he might get a title shot.

But palhares wont get a title shot right after beating hendo.
grappler0000
9/2/08 8:36:54AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

i mean if palhares beats hendo then he will prolly fight a contender or two and then if he wins those he might get a title shot.

But palhares wont get a title shot right after beating hendo.

The only thing that would prevent an immediate title shot would be waiting in line behind Okami. Silva has beaten most of the talent in the division already, so there are few worthy challengers at this point. And if you beat Hendo, it definitely makes a statement...also, let's not forget how quickly Silva got his title shot.
finnish_line
9/2/08 9:08:33AM

If Palhares beats Hendo (big IF, but I can see it happening) then I'd match him against Maia in a battle of the elite elite BJJ players.

Winner of that fight provides a big test to Silva.
brooklynbadass
9/2/08 10:14:44AM

Posted by bullettdodger

Only thing Palhares is going to see in the future is a doctor asking him how many fingers he is holding up after Hendo mauls him.

Check out some of his fights from Brazil- this guy is definitly the real deal.
Aether
9/2/08 12:02:47PM
I can't believe you guys think that Palhares wouldn't get a shot if he beat henderson. There's no chance he wouldn't get a shot. He would be directly after Okmai for sure. Look at the division. Who else is in line for a title shot? If anyone beats a top contender at this point they're going to get a shot at anderson. He would have to fight only one more time and that's only because he would have to wait for Okami. Henderson is still in the top 3 of the division. No chance beating him wouldn't send him to a title shot.
Wolfenstein
9/2/08 12:29:09PM
He would have to beat another top MW most likely, just to generate a little more hype behind the matchup. Most likely next in line is Thales Leites if he can beat Goran Reljic, or Kampman if he can beat Marquardt.
Ordep
9/2/08 12:50:54PM

Posted by finnish_line

If Palhares beats Hendo (big IF, but I can see it happening) then I'd match him against Maia in a battle of the elite elite BJJ players.

Winner of that fight provides a big test to Silva.

IF , Palhares win this Saturday...
I wont go with Maia-Palhares yet...

for Maia.... winner of Nate-Kampmann
for Palhares... winner of Leites-Goran

but there will be also the winner of Bisping-Leben around, and Okami will be back to get his title shot, so, hard to schedule after that. Unless the UFC play a "Parysian" on Okami and match him against Bisping/Leben winner for the next shot.
DevonFoxy
9/2/08 12:55:19PM
jessh we are talking about Dan Henderson here right? Its ridiculous how after loosing a SD and a loss to the best P4P fighter in the world he's getting played as some gatekeeper of this division.

I seen almost of all of Palhares's fights before he fought Ivan and picked Palhares to win that fight but the big difference in this fight is that Hendo has AMAZING takedown defense and Palhares's stand up is average as Hendo's is very good, It's gonna be hard to submit Henderson as it is but its going to be impossible when the fight doesn't even go to the ground.
Aether
9/2/08 12:57:10PM
They would give him another fight, but it would probably be a fight they expected him to win. If he beats the #2 guy he's got to be next in line. Cote is getting a shot after beating grove, mcfedries, and almeida who has been retired for almost 4 years. None of those guys are even close to top 10.
bullettdodger
9/2/08 1:31:31PM

Posted by brooklynbadass

Posted by bullettdodger

Check out some of his fights from Brazil- this guy is definitly the real deal.

I didn't say he wasn't "definitely the real deal", I just sincerely think people are cutting Hendo short due to his two losses, which are to the best in both divisions.
sparky
9/2/08 7:12:58PM
Palhares is getting a little ahead of himself in my opinion. Dan Henderson is by far better then anybody Palhares has faced in the past. I think that Palhares is going to run into something he wasnt expecting. Dan Henderson is a wild animal. Hendo in the 1st rd via a big right hand!