Palhares vs Henderson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Palhares vs Henderson
Next Page »
copcopps
8/7/08 2:32:31PM
Am I the only one that is giving Mr Palhares a chance?

I honestly think Henderson's a great fighter, but he's getting up there in age and I just think that he might be slipping. DO I think Hendo's gonna be destroyed, no do I think he'll lose yes.

I got Palhares by tapout in the 2nd.
RandyCouture
8/7/08 2:40:19PM
Henderson by KO 2nd round just think he will come out swinging after the silva loss.
soundboy1
8/7/08 2:52:18PM

I think Dan will feel him out in the first and then drop him early in the second...
Khaos
8/7/08 3:04:46PM
I actually have Palhares by 3rd Round Submission.
Twenty20Dollars
8/7/08 3:10:48PM
Im taking Palhares to play spoiler for the night. sure i like hendo but im going for the underdog here. Sucks for hendo though, 3straight losses. Big boost for palhares if he wins.

I think the key to this fight will be the striking. Hendo better wrestler and palhares better jits.
postman
8/7/08 3:14:29PM
I was as impressed as anyone by Palhares RNC to armbar but come on it was Ivan Slavery. I have no problem with Ivan but hes no Dan Henderson. Could he win but for me to bet agianst Dan is just crazy we haven't seen enough of Palhares to do that.

Also I don't see how you can say he is slipping. Last 3 fights He beat Wandy lost in a back and forth 5 round fight to Page, and won the first round agianst Anderson before getting choked out, had he lasted 15 more seconds there is no telling what could have happened in that fight.
soundboy1
8/7/08 3:17:58PM
Hendo has the best right in the business. He demolishes people when he uncorks it. Good Luck to all of you who picked aganst him..........
DevonFoxy
8/7/08 3:21:56PM
Dan Henderson is very hard to get to the ground and I've seen most of Palhares's fights and he does have some pretty good take downs but no way does he get Henderson to the ground unless Hendo wants it there. In the stand up Henderson is clearly better and I think thats whats going to hurt Palhares here. He's very strong for MW but Henderson is huge for a MW so I think it's going to be crazy and its going to take a lot of mistakes from Henderson for Palhares to win.
gsquat
8/7/08 3:35:15PM
I've got Palhares R1 Sub... I've also got Hammill and Rashad winning. I could nail a bunch of upsets, or bomb an event.

postman: if I remember correctly, that was Salaverry's first submission loss.
mkiv9secsupra
8/7/08 3:49:32PM
This is just a confidence bulider for Hendo. Palhares is a good fighter but hes not beating a top ten right now at all. Henderson is going to land that right hand in the first round and KO Palhares brutally.
nickcuc547
8/7/08 3:54:31PM
i think the guy needs a little time before we start saying he can beat a savvy veteran like hendo.
postman
8/7/08 4:01:03PM

Posted by gsquat

I've got Palhares R1 Sub... I've also got Hammill and Rashad winning. I could nail a bunch of upsets, or bomb an event.

postman: if I remember correctly, that was Salaverry's first submission loss.

I did not know that. I was more refering to getting Dan to the ground and not eating that big right but that is still intresting.
soundboy1
8/7/08 4:02:50PM
This thread has made me think more about silva hendo 2..................IMO dan still has he best chance of anyone at mw of beating spider......
billycarnage
8/7/08 4:18:02PM
This is the classic "you're only as good as your last fight" nonsense. Salaverry is not a notable victory and Henderson is still killing it. I thought he beat Rampage had it not been for a title and he did better than most against Anderson. I think Palhares is gonna get hurt in this fight. I like Henderson in this one. He is still the top contender in my book.
gsquat
8/7/08 4:48:43PM
I understand picking Palhares is crazy risky (seeing as how we've seen so little of him) but that was just my first thought in looking at the matchup. Its by no means set in stone, but it was the result that sprang to mind. Compile that with the fact that Hendo is subject to losing to Brazilians via submission (Big Nog, Little Nog, Silva). In fact 5 of his 7 losses are to Brazilian fighters. I know the nationality of a fighter doesn't necessarily have anyhting to do one's record against them, I'm just sayin'... Brazilian + jujitsu = bad for Hendo. Once every couple events you get a ton of upsets. Right now I'm thinking 88 will be it.
HENDO915
8/7/08 4:52:57PM
No way Henderson will loose, He is going to be so motivated for this fight because he wants a rematch against silva
GrizzlyChadams
8/7/08 4:57:20PM
I have very little doubt that Palhares will win this by submission.
mkiv9secsupra
8/7/08 5:00:15PM

Posted by gsquat
Compile that with the fact that Hendo is subject to losing to Brazilians via submission (Big Nog, Little Nog, Silva).

The problem with that is all three of those train together and are well adapted to using there BJJ in MMA moreso than other JJ fighters such as Arona. Palhares is very adept at JJ but hes not on a level with the Nogs and Silva
postman
8/7/08 5:30:32PM
How many guys Dans size would go agianst Big Nog?
NewGuy
8/7/08 5:38:07PM
I wrote this is a post a few days back, it fits here well so I am going to say it again. Gosh I hate repeating myself but here it goes.

I want to pick Palhares with all of my MMA loving heart.

That being said Dan is down 0 and 2 in the UFC this time around. He will not only win this fight, he will probably dominate it.

When Hendo got submitted by Anderson Silva he had many things to worry about in that fight. Anderson can beat anybody in a number of ways. Dan got caught by arguably the best P4P fight right now.

Palhares has great BJJ but does not bring the rest of the offence like an Anderson Silva caliber fighter. With only one real offensive threat to beat Hendo with, Palhares will be too one dimensional to catch Dan in a Submission.
mikevolz
8/7/08 5:45:02PM
you guys are talking about a very short stocky built man.

short stocky built guys don't do well in their bottom game ju-jitsu.

so that means palhares has to outwrestle dan henderson, who has been finished 3 times by submission by both of the nog brothers, and anderson silva....

mind you guys. this is a man who just beat an ivan salvarry (sp) who knew it was his last fight in mma.

hendersons last 3 fights have been against wanderlei, quinton jackson, and anderson silva.

and he won 2 rounds on quinton jackson, and 1 on anderson silva.

hes going to eat palhares alive (see serra vs gsp 2, expect that to happen)
Franklinfan47
8/7/08 5:57:41PM
I think Palhares is a good young prospect, but lets not go nuts here guys. His best win to date is against Ivan Salaverry. While Henderson is one of the toughest fighters in the world right now. His only two recent losses are to Rampage and Silva, two of the best in the world. And he took it to Rampage and was beating Silva until he got caught. I think Palhares will do good against Henderson, but in the end Henderson will take the decision. This guys a beast.
sparky
8/7/08 6:13:59PM
palheres i will addmitt looked good against ivan but hell ivan isnt half of the fighter dan henderson is......i believe dan will come out in this fight and make palheres fight whatever kinda fight he wanst him too........i see dan henderson with the win in this fight no matter what happens......

my pick dan henderson / decision / unanimous
JackHammerXXX
8/7/08 7:12:30PM

I got Hendo with the decision as well. This Palhares guy looked really good in his UFC debut, but Dan is more than, just a veteran. I believe it will be a tough fight. Palhs' is the underdog, and I expect a great effort from him. But, Henderson knows he can't drop another fight. Wandy did, but hey CroCop, Henderson, Liddell...? Those are big names, and Dan the same, except if he lost this one, that's three in a row, in the UFC!

Hendo, handle your business and stay hungry, before, during, and after this fight!(And no, I don't mean for them Wheaties!)
Matimus
8/8/08 9:18:21AM
this is Dans career fight more or less.

He will not lose.
Chuteboxer
8/8/08 10:21:41AM

Posted by nickcuc547

i think the guy needs a little time before we start saying he can beat a savvy veteran like hendo.

exactly. Henderson's two losses were to two great fighters...no way is this guy beating him unless he catches a lucky sub if Hendo's being careless.
sillysnail
8/8/08 2:52:14PM

Posted by soundboy1

This thread has made me think more about silva hendo 2..................IMO dan still has he best chance of anyone at mw of beating spider......

i agree, i think hendo takes the rematch. i think he wanted to showoff by ko'ing the best striker in the world and that was a mistake that he likely wont make again. he strayed from his gameplan and his bread and butter.
Kastro
8/8/08 3:07:54PM
I got Palhares as well... in a big upset and a huge opportunity to bet and make some cash on an underdog who really.. isn't an underdog in my eyes..

Palhares knows he needs to get this fight to the ground and once he does he is like a fish in water... Dan has his Greco Roman background im quite aware of that I just see him getting caught in a submission... his cardio also looked terrible against Anderson Silva he was not the same in the 2nd round...

Palhares by 2nd round sub... ill go out on a limb and predict a triangle!
postman
8/8/08 4:01:25PM

Posted by Kastro

I got Palhares as well... in a big upset and a huge opportunity to bet and make some cash on an underdog who really.. isn't an underdog in my eyes..

Palhares knows he needs to get this fight to the ground and once he does he is like a fish in water... Dan has his Greco Roman background im quite aware of that I just see him getting caught in a submission... his cardio also looked terrible against Anderson Silva he was not the same in the 2nd round...

Palhares by 2nd round sub... ill go out on a limb and predict a triangle!

How will he get it to the ground is the only aspect of this you fail to explian. This is Dan Henderson If he wants to keep it standing he will.
jgtribbett
8/8/08 6:39:29PM
they arent gonna boot the only guy with two major titles in a major org out of the ufc for loosing a decesion title fight and having the best performance ever against silva.

even if dan looses.. he stays..
anyhow!!!

i'm on the line.. i personally think UFC "guides" fights and there outcomes so i never know who to pick .. but statistically.. unless dan gets winded and in a sub... no way palhares can compete at his level...

dan 3rd tko
Pages: [1] 2