Is everyone on the same page with the strikeforce purchase?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is everyone on the same page with the strikeforce purchase?
Biggz
3/26/11 2:41:13PM
So i have been reading a lot of quotes from fighters saying things like "with the recent MERGER with strikeforce, i would really like to fight (insert fighter name)"
The most recent was Carlos Condit saying he would like to fight Nick Diaz and Paul Daley. I was under the impression that it is NOT A MERGER, i also thought that Dana said that fighters would not be jumping from strikeforce to the UFC to fight and vice versa.

So, am i under the wrong impression or do a lot of the fighters not really know how it is going to work, or both?

The other thing i was thinking is maybe these fighters are just thinking that when the strikeforce fighters contract is over they will almost automatically come to the UFC?

Anyone able to shed some light on this?
decken
3/26/11 3:00:15PM
I think Strike Force is going to go on the same path as the WEC. In a couple of years Zuffa is going to merge strike force into the UFC setting up a couple big fights. This will most likely happen when the majority of strike force fighters contracts are up for renewal. Hopefully women's mma will have grown enough for Dana White to allow them to come over( I only say this because Dana has been weakening his negative position on Women's mma. I beleive the last interview I listened to he stated there were just not enough women's mma fighters for them to be a legitimate part of the UFC.) On a side note:Could you imagine a women's tuf?
FlashyG
3/26/11 3:08:47PM

Posted by decken
On a side note:Could you imagine a women's tuf?

that would be one of the best ways possible to grow a fan base for Womens MMA.
State_Champ
3/26/11 3:36:01PM
I appreciate the fact that people have been able to mention women's MMA without making any sexist or misogynistic comments.
TeamDEY
3/26/11 5:12:10PM
"Business as Usual"
warglory
3/26/11 5:27:00PM

Posted by decken

I think Strike Force is going to go on the same path as the WEC. In a couple of years Zuffa is going to merge strike force into the UFC setting up a couple big fights. This will most likely happen when the majority of strike force fighters contracts are up for renewal. Hopefully women's mma will have grown enough for Dana White to allow them to come over( I only say this because Dana has been weakening his negative position on Women's mma. I beleive the last interview I listened to he stated there were just not enough women's mma fighters for them to be a legitimate part of the UFC.) On a side note:Could you imagine a women's tuf?

Dana has never had a negative opinion of women's mma, he just always thought there was never enough competition to warrant a division in the UFC.
underclasshero4
3/28/11 7:21:16PM

Posted by State_Champ

I appreciate the fact that people have been able to mention women's MMA without making any sexist or misogynistic comments.

Thats because the hit I have watched in womens MMA are legit. They are no Jon Jones' but I would not want to get punched in the face by Gina Carano.
Scamrock
3/30/11 12:26:11AM
Personally, I think there is enough good fighters to have a good women's 135 pound division. You'd have to get most of the top talent under contract, but since that is the most stacked Americans, it shouldn't be too bad.

I wish Carano could do 135. I'd love to see her against Kaufmann and some of the others. There just isn't enough competition at 145. Carano, Cyborg, and Toughill (if she ever fights again), and then you have 135'ers fighting out of their weight class just to give them any kind of competition.

As far as Strikeforce goes, I'm actually starting to believe they are going to keep Strikeforce around, maybe for a feeder league. Dana keeps talking about needing more fighters for more fights. But the rumors are that UFC is planning on cutting their roster down to around 200. If that is true, those two things are contradict each other unless you have Strikeforce in the equation. Though I suppose the smaller roster could just be temporary until SF runs its course.