P4P king after GSP win?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » P4P king after GSP win?
tomp6581
7/17/09 9:25:42AM
Sherdog has Anderson as 1,
Yahoo has GSP and Fedor tied at 1

Things are very tight in this ranking but according to this site GSP is no1.

#1 Georges St. Pierre 18.59%
#2 Fedor Emelianenko 18.02%
#3 Anderson Silva 17.18%

I agree with this now.

Since his loss to Serra he has dominated the WW division and defeated Thiago Alves, B.J. Penn, Jon Fitch, Matt Serra, Matt Hughes& Josh Koscheck.

Fedor and Anderson both have tough fights coming up and assuming they both win, I think this might get even tighter (not to mention Machida).

KUTTER
7/17/09 9:28:30AM
Sounds dead on to me
AchillesHeel
7/17/09 9:34:18AM
I don't know how Sherdog can justify Silva at #1, and they decided not to explain their selections. I can only conclude that their rankings aren't based on any kind of analysis, and they just like Silva more than GSP or Fedor.

to Sherdog.

Posted by tomp6581

Things are very tight in this ranking but according to this site GSP is no1.

#1 Georges St. Pierre 18.59%
#2 Fedor Emelianenko 18.02%
#3 Anderson Silva 17.18%

Those are my rankings, too.
Jackelope
7/17/09 9:43:54AM
If you're not going to rank Fedor #1 due to a lack of stiff competition and some inactivity, then you can't rank Anderson Silva #1.

I see a strong argument for GSP as number one based on his recent activity against strong competition. Fedor would still be my number one just because no one has done what he's done so far, but GSP is getting VERY close.
emfleek
7/17/09 10:07:06AM
I agree with these rankings. It's hard to deny GSP the top spot given the level of competition he's faced *and* dominated.
bojangalz
7/17/09 10:42:36AM
Does it really matter? I know it makes for great conversation and all. But P4P by definition is a completely subjective/opinionated list to begin with. Between GSP, Spider, and Fedor, is anyone really going to get but hurt over who is #1 and who is #3? I know the fighters could care less.

Posted by Jackelope

If you're not going to rank Fedor #1 due to a lack of stiff competition and some inactivity, then you can't rank Anderson Silva #1.

I see a strong argument for GSP as number one based on his recent activity against strong competition. Fedor would still be my number one just because no one has done what he's done so far, but GSP is getting VERY close.

It's quite obvious that GSP has had a string of tough opponents recently who he has dominated. But can you honestly dock Silva points because his last few opponents haven't been as strong? The only reason he's faced weaker opponents lately is because he's already destroyed all of the top competition at 185. It's not his fault the UFC doesn't have a top competitor in line for a title challenge right now.

And Fedor may have fought lesser competition over the past few years, but short of a cut caused by an illegal blow, the man has NEVER been beat.

The fact of the matter is, you can rank them 1A-1C at the top of the list and it doesn't matter whose name is first. They are all clearly deserving of mention in eachothers company.

btw, if they ever get the Torres/Aldo fight done and Miguel wins, he better be getting a mention as well.
KUTTER
7/17/09 10:46:30AM

Posted by bojangalz

Does it really matter? I know it makes for great conversation and all. But P4P by definition is a completely subjective/opinionated list to begin with. Between GSP, Spider, and Fedor, is anyone really going to get but hurt over who is #1 and who is #3? I know the fighters could care less.

True indeed, besides Fedor would take either of them
Jackelope
7/17/09 11:27:59AM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by Jackelope

It's quite obvious that GSP has had a string of tough opponents recently who he has dominated. But can you honestly dock Silva points because his last few opponents haven't been as strong? The only reason he's faced weaker opponents lately is because he's already destroyed all of the top competition at 185. It's not his fault the UFC doesn't have a top competitor in line for a title challenge right now.

And Fedor may have fought lesser competition over the past few years, but short of a cut caused by an illegal blow, the man has NEVER been beat.

The fact of the matter is, you can rank them 1A-1C at the top of the list and it doesn't matter whose name is first. They are all clearly deserving of mention in eachothers company.

btw, if they ever get the Torres/Aldo fight done and Miguel wins, he better be getting a mention as well.

I completely agree with pretty much all the points you made.

I'm just saying that if Sherdog by any chance would justify their ranking of Silva over Fedor by saying that Fedor hasn't fought stiff competition, then the argument makes no sense considering who Silva has recently fought.

I pretty much agree that P4P king is simply a nice debate and that's about it. However, I think it's very clear that by almost all non-arbitrary standards Fedor is the clear cut #1. 30-1.. with wins over numerous champs, most of those wins by stoppage.

Fedor- 76.6% of opponents finished (30-1) (31 total fights)
Silva- 75% of opponents finished (24-4) (28 total fights)
GSP- 63% of opponents finished (19-2) (21 total fights)

Nobody on the list has more wins or more stoppages, nor a higher % of them. No one has less in the way of losses, either. Nobody has faced more champs, or fought through greater disadvantages either. It's a silly debate, really. Keep on keepin' on, though.

KaibaThedon
7/17/09 12:34:22PM
Thats just cuz you can't handle his 'riddum'.

Give it up for the P4P king.