P4P Best?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » P4P Best?
POLL: who wins their fight the fastest?
Anderson 34% (11)
Fedor 28% (9)
Vera 9% (3)
lil Nog 9% (3)
OTHER 19% (6)
joshryanshepherd
7/19/08 2:02:54AM
Anderson is widely considered p4p best among casual and hardcore fans. i really don't think he is though. he is an amazing fighter no doubt about it but why isnt Fedor considered the P4P best? he has beat the #2 guy twice and beat every single fighter put in front of him. ok sure you can say "Fedor has'nt been fighting top competition" well idk about you but i thnk Choi is a hell of a dangerous kick boxer and Lindland is one of the best Greco guys in the game. and both Fedor took out in less than 3 minutes in the 1st rd with armbars.....

but Anyway the reason for this thread is, if Fedor beats Tim this Saturday than will all the Anderson Nut-huggers stop sayin that hes the best P4P fighter and Allow Fedor to take the #1 spot? if not than who else does he have to beat?

P.S. the poll has Nothin to do with the thread

FEDOR
Cdellorso
7/19/08 12:05:24PM
who is your other ------people??

BJ
GSP?
The_Italian_Stallion
7/19/08 12:43:04PM
All I know is that if my weekend continues to be freaking amazing and goes how I want it I will be ecstatic.

If Fedor loses to Tim and Anderson loses to Irvin than who does that leave to be #1 P4P... GSP.

Man Dark Knight, Anderson losing, GSP pound for pound best...

Not going to happen but a guy can dream
mkiv9secsupra
7/19/08 1:30:56PM
I still have Fedor as #1 and Silva as #2 and it will probly stay that way if Fedor keeps dominating. Fedor is in an org with top fighters again and a possible match with Josh Barnett so until he loses he stays #1 for me.

But to answer the poll: Nog is going to embarass Edwin.
murphy_16
7/19/08 1:35:41PM
GSP
npayant
7/19/08 2:11:04PM
As for P4P, I have Silva...

For your poll, I'm going with Anthony Johnson to get the quickest win.
Jackelope
7/19/08 3:50:12PM
I was just thinking about this while lathering myself up in the shower (Think about that!.. hahaha!)

Seriously, though... Anderson has beaten some notable names more recently. Still, in his dominance he hasn't beaten anywhere near the competition IMO that Fedor has.

Anderson's most notable wins are -

#1 Dan Henderson
#2 Rich Franklin (x2)
#3 Nate Marquardt

Notable losses-

#1 Ryo Chonan (Flying heel hook submission) (Not avenged)
#2 Yushin Okami (DQ due to upkick) (Not avenged)
#3 Daiju Takase (not avenged)

There's not really many other names on the list that stick out. Sure, Travis Lutter has good ground game but he's notorious for coming in underprepared for fights. (I.E. Not making weight like he did against Anderson) Rich Franklin dispatched Lutter in more dominant fashion than Anderson Silva did.

Compare that to-

Fedor's most notable wins are-

#1 Big Nog (x2)
#2 Mirko Crocop
#3 Mark Coleman (x2)
#4 Kevin Randleman

Notable losses-

#1 Tsuyoshi Kohsaka (avenged)

All of these wins were against top 10 opponents at the time he fought them, and while it has been a bit since he's fought a top 10 I think you have to look at the fact that he has 6 quality wins over top 10 competition and has avenged his only loss. While Anderson on the other hand has 4 quality wins against top 10 competition and has yet to avenge losses.

As a disclaimer- I realize that there is a certain amount of perishability with wins when you haven't fought the same caliber of opponents for 3 years. Also, I want to add a couple notables onto the lists-

Anderson Silva has wins over Carlos Newton and Jeremy Horn. These are quality opponents IMO, but I omitted them from the list and left only top, top competition.

On the other hand, Fedor has notable wins against quality opponents in the forms of - Mark Hunt, Semmy Schilt, Matt Lindland, Babalu Sobral, and Heath Herring.
JimiMak
7/19/08 5:46:58PM
I don't agree w/ most of your choices. but of them I got Silva.

I don't really think a HW, esp a big one, can ever take p4p title. No way to judge. Many of these guys fight at diff weights in their careers. Fedor never will.
Purge
7/19/08 6:32:03PM
Mine

1. Anderson
2. BJ
3. GSP
4. Fedor
5. Faber
Quasar
7/19/08 7:39:15PM
This p4p topic is stupid, most of them will never fight so its only speculation and a popularity contest.

Jackelope
7/19/08 9:18:10PM

Posted by Quasar

This p4p topic is stupid, most of them will never fight so its only speculation and a popularity contest.

Again, there's no concrete answers so it's one of those things where certain people like to discuss the topic and certain others don't. It's like your parents used to tell you when you were a kid- if you don't have anything nice or productive to say then don't say anything at all.

Quasar
7/20/08 2:54:00AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Quasar

Again, there's no concrete answers so it's one of those things where certain people like to discuss the topic and certain others don't. It's like your parents used to tell you when you were a kid- if you don't have anything nice or productive to say then don't say anything at all.

Like how we shouldnt argue over petty popularity contests that will never be solved, not like I'm gonna stop the p4p talk but hey productive in the eye of the beholder
Pookie
7/20/08 3:02:06AM
cmill21
7/20/08 3:21:34AM
Fedor made a convincing argument.
Purge
7/20/08 3:48:19AM
New rankings

1.Anderson
2.Fedor
3.BJ
Jackelope
7/20/08 11:09:53AM
Fedor moves up with 7 quality wins over Grade A opponents.

Oh yeah, did I mention that last night was Fedor's 5th win over a future or past UFC champion?