P4P #2 & 3

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » P4P #2 & 3
Geoffo
11/1/11 12:52:30PM
With most people agreeing that Anderson Silva right now is #1 P4P fighter.
Who do you guys think is #2 and #3? Give epicly good reasons.
Debate on (no bashing)

:)
Pookie
11/1/11 4:46:47PM
Well, i think it really boils down to semantics. What does the person value the most in making a P4P ranking?

1. Anderson
2. Jon Jones
3. Georges

4. Dan Henderson
5. Frankie Edgar

I have Jon Jones at #2. I think that if all the top fighters were of identical weight, and their bodies were all perfectly proportioned for that weight(Relative to their actual builds), that Jones would do better against the field of competitors than Georges would. His flaws are more obvious, but his offense and ability to finish makes him harder to deal win against.

For instance: On the feet, Georges gets hit less than everybody in the sport not named Machida or Emelianenko(and that may have changed due to recent fights), but it is a trend in his fights that he gets himself hurt with his style. Considering how low-risk it is in theory, ironically it actually brings in alot of risks, as counter intuitive as that mayy seem. Whether its overexerting for takedowns and pulling muscles, or Bursting in on his jab so hard that a knuckle to the eye ruins that eye for months, or even how he always fights for the decision in mind and gives his opponents a higher chance of getting lucky by giving them more time to take advantage of a missing eye or a torn groin.

I have Georges over Henderson and Edgar entirely because of his consistency. I feel that Hendo and Edgar have fought equal or tougher competition, whilst fighting bigger opponents than themselves, but their runs haven't been as long. And they are likelier to take challenges upon themselves that they have a small chance to win, than Georges is.
Theoutlaw08
11/1/11 4:49:44PM
Anderson Silva
GSP
Jones

I think Jones will move up in this and pass GSP, but right now, GSP has a long winning streak going. Only difference is, Jones finishes and GSP doesnt. I would like to see GSP finish Diaz....but I dont think it will happen, either GSP will grind him out and dominate in every aspect of the fight or Diaz will drop him.
I'm praying for a Silva vs. Sonnen rematch....i hope it happens.
And I have Jones by KO against Machida
Geoffo
11/1/11 10:32:05PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Anderson Silva
GSP
Jones

I think Jones will move up in this and pass GSP, but right now, GSP has a long winning streak going. Only difference is, Jones finishes and GSP doesnt. I would like to see GSP finish Diaz....but I dont think it will happen, either GSP will grind him out and dominate in every aspect of the fight or Diaz will drop him.

Hmm yeah I agree with you. I don't see a one punch drop knock out from Diaz to GSP though. Maybe like frustrating him and wearing GSP down with those punches. But GSP is too smart for that.

I don't know why people don't have Sonnen up on top 10 P4P. Other than his loss to Anderson Silva, I think he could avenge all his loses. His skill set is too tough for a lot of people right now. I don't know, thats just my take. Where would he be if he beat Anderson Silva in the rematch? #1? But then people would say like, oh he got sub'd by maia and a bunch of people. So I don't really know.
Pookie
11/2/11 3:00:55AM
I think Chael has the right style for the way the MW division is right now, but i don't think he's one of the ten best in the sport. I think his sub d is really too big of a hole in his armor. Someone is always going to have his number, though at times he may seem unbeatable.
airkerma
11/2/11 10:27:24AM
1. Silva
2. GSP
3. Aldo
4. Cruz
5. Bones
I think people forget who has been winning as champ longer. People are super excited about Jones because he's new and nobody can imagine him losing. People thought the same about Aldo after he obliterated Gamuryan, but then he continued to win so they forgot about him. Same for Cruz and since his style doesn't allow for high light finishes people also write him off. But who is going to be beating any of those two? Not sure why all of a sudden Mendes is the answer to Aldo but whatever. Jones is moving on to his second title defense, and should not be ranked higher than any of these guys who have been defending their title for years (Cruz is coming up on year 2).
airkerma
11/2/11 10:31:32AM

Posted by Geoffo

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Anderson Silva
GSP
Jones

Hmm yeah I agree with you. I don't see a one punch drop knock out from Diaz to GSP though. Maybe like frustrating him and wearing GSP down with those punches. But GSP is too smart for that.

I don't know why people don't have Sonnen up on top 10 P4P. Other than his loss to Anderson Silva, I think he could avenge all his loses. His skill set is too tough for a lot of people right now. I don't know, thats just my take. Where would he be if he beat Anderson Silva in the rematch? #1? But then people would say like, oh he got sub'd by maia and a bunch of people. So I don't really know.

I see where you're going with that, but speculating he would be tough for the division to beat doesn't put him in top 10. Seriously though, he is 2-1 in the last 2 years. IMO Frankie, Diaz, Hendo, Cain, and some of the lighter guys should be ahead of him.