Top P4P (Bottom 6)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Top P4P (Bottom 6)
POLL: What weight division has the highest caliber fighters
HW 2% (1)
LHW 59% (24)
MW 5% (2)
WW 22% (9)
LW 12% (5)
FW-BW 0% (0)
Pitbull09
8/11/08 1:59:17AM
Ok, there have been a lot of discussions over the order of the Top 4 P4P but most of us can agree Anderson Silva, GSP, BJ Penn, and Fedor are all up there in whatever order.

I was trying to update my lower part of the rankings and thought a discussion on here could help. Dont look at my rankings now cause they arent what I really think, I just left it that way out of frustration.

Here are guys who I think need in it
-Big Nog (usually put in that five spot, especially since Rampage lost.)
-Kid Yamoto (Best Batum and argueably Feathweight in the world)
-Lyoto Machida (A lot of big name victories along with an undefeated record in a stacked LHW division)
-Urijah Faber (Never has lost as a FW. Only loss to Tyson Grifin. Griffin only has one loss to Frank Edgar. Frank Edgar only has one loss to Gray Maynard.)
-Miguel Torres?- I am still wondering on this one, I think Kid would destroy him.

Now here is what I have a problem with. I think the WW division has some of the worlds best potential so I think another WW other than GSP should be in. There is Fitch (most likely I would put in), Alves, Sheilds, Pyle, Kos. So much potential but each can be argued out. Also Idk if Gomi deserves a spot.

Help me out. This only was made to help people escape the 50 Lesnar threads right now.
juanez13
8/11/08 2:15:07AM
Fedor, Silva, GSP, Penn as you said the top 4.

from there mine looks like this. (remember is based on skill, as if size/weight advantage doesnt matter, just matching skills vs skills)

Kid Yamamoto-> Olympic level wrestling, K1 Level Striking

Faber-> Good wrestling/Stand up

Big Nog->He is the best heavyweight on the ground, His jujitsu skills are better than Fedor but stand up need work (has improved bastly, outstriking Herring, good boxing). Aside from Fedor he is the best heavyweight in the world.

Gomi

Torres

Forrest Griffin

Pitbull09
8/11/08 2:44:02AM

Posted by juanez13

Fedor, Silva, GSP, Penn as you said the top 4.

from there mine looks like this. (remember is based on skill, as if size/weight advantage doesnt matter, just matching skills vs skills)

Kid Yamamoto-> Olympic level wrestling, K1 Level Striking

Faber-> Good wrestling/Stand up

Big Nog->He is the best heavyweight on the ground, His jujitsu skills are better than Fedor but stand up need work (has improved bastly, outstriking Herring, good boxing). Aside from Fedor he is the best heavyweight in the world.

Gomi

Torres

Forrest Griffin

What I have a problem with is it seems each division has a guy above everyone else in skill. The LHW division seems like it has guys that will beat each other and I dont see a champ who is going to hold the belt long. We all know the Jackson/Liddell/ Wanderlei problem so I think the only safe LHW to put in is Machida
juanez13
8/11/08 10:02:07AM
I'm not putting Machida, he hasnt beaten anyone close to a top P4P fighter, Tito being his biggest win isnt even close anymore. So I put Forrest instead, Beat Shogun and Rampage in his last 2, cant deny the guy a spot.
sparky
8/11/08 11:02:52AM
aside from the top 4 who we all know

i think big nog is one for sure witout ne hesitation!!!!!!

i think faber has to be in there somewhere!!!!!

love him or hate him chuck liddell is one of the most dangerous fighters on the planet no matter who the opponent is or what division he is in!!!!!

i think wanderlei silva should be in there look at the dudes he has fought........he has beaten the best of the best on numeorous of occasions

despite his back to back losses i still believe dan henerson is one of the best fighters in the world and he will be looking to prove it once again at ufc 88

and lastly i think forrest griffin has now done enough to itch his way in there......i truely believe he didnt beat rampage but hes champ so not much else can be said............jus looking forward to seeing who his next opponent will be!!!!!

and i havent forgotten about yamamoto or torres i think that they are right up in there.......i jus dont think the bantam weight holds enough talent yet.......that division is still growing give it a year and i bet the bantam weight division will be one of the best out!!!!!
JackHammerXXX
8/11/08 6:16:45PM
My p4p rankings are as follows...after top 4 of course (Silva,Fedor,GSP,Penn)
5.Big Nog-HW champ in UFC, other than that the guy is a legend, record speaks for itself(besides Fedor 3x)
6.Faber-King under 155lbs, the Kid Yamma, I just don't know too much about that cat, someone put me on if you will. WEC champ, only loss coming to a big 155 in Tyson Griffin. p4p? He's a must.
7.Forrest Griffin-UFC LHW champ...this one is hard for me, but with a win over Rampage, who would've been here, and a win over Shogun(I don't care about the debut, not 100% talk), how can you deny the man?
8.Rampage-Just lost to Griffin, but before beat Lindland(yeah I know), Eastman in his UFC debut, then took Liddell out, and Hendo in 3 months. This is where my list got shaky...
9.I got Liddell...I think if he loses than, he's gone, but his record and last win are going to keep him in there, for me, for now. He engaged in the fight of the year with Wandy, after losing to two, very game opponents. If he beats Rashad, then I'll feel even more comfortable with his spot. Then, Forrest in Dec?, Jan? He'll be back up there.
10. This one is hard, but I got Hendo at 10. What's a p4p list without Dan Henderson. Yeah he lost 2 in a row, but who'd he lose to? Yeah, so give him his due.

I know what you're thinking...where are the LW's, WW's, FW and BW's? Well, I am biased I guess, but that's what I had, and have them at, couldn't lie and change them...But I can see Torres, the Kid maybe, Gomi, not so much, Alves or Fitch might deserve a spot.
But pound for pound, I got (1) FW, (1/2) LW (1/2) WW-Penn,(1) WW, (1)MW, (1/2)MW (1/2)LHW-Hendo, (3)LHW, (2)HW...
LHW is my heaviest division with my rankings, besides that it's pretty even
ncordless
8/11/08 10:00:59PM
Yeah I have problems with it, too. Nog is an easy #5-6 because he is probably the second best HW in the world.

Urjiah Faber is a pretty safe pick for the other 5-6 spot.

Kid Yamamoto definitely has the talent, but if anyone should be moved down for lack of activity it's him.

I like the trio of Liddell, Forrest and Rampage all in the bottom half. They fight in a very competitive division and while none of them have been completely dominant, they are at the top of that division right now.

Torres has been great and has an ridiculous record... but the question with him is lack of competition.
Jackelope
8/12/08 12:22:54AM
I gotta say Hendo belongs in a top 10 still, too. The guy fights in two weight classes and has notable victories in each. Hell, he's even fought HW's before. But there's something more to being ranked p4p that I'll address later.

Torres and Faber should definitely be on there IMO. Kid Yamamoto is another that can definitely be argued for, but again... you have the lack of worthwhile competition.

The last thing, though- I think the most important thing when ranking P4P is to look at a fighter's skillset. Kid has the great striking and the great wrestling. Torres hasn't shown a dramatic weakness in any area. Faber really solidified his top 10 p4p ranking with me when he took apart Jens Pulver. Hendo has one of the hardest chins in MMA and olympic medalist wrestling combined with Dynamite for a right hand to back it up. As for his technicality I wouldn't put it on the same level as Kid, Faber or Torres.
Drudinh
8/12/08 3:11:27AM
Y not stick Machida against A Silva then. It would work great with Silva jumping up in weight and would test out Machida the top tier opponent around. Personally I’d love to see this fight.
Jackelope
8/12/08 8:17:28AM

Posted by Drudinh

Y not stick Machida against A Silva then. It would work great with Silva jumping up in weight and would test out Machida the top tier opponent around. Personally I’d love to see this fight.

They're training partners. They won't fight. Silva already said LHW belongs to Machida