Owens is now a BUFFALO BILL!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Owens is now a BUFFALO BILL!!!!
Next Page »
RampageOwnedYou
3/7/09 6:15:30PM
YYYEEEEESSS!!!!!

My team for 21 years now, has finally made a signing I approve of!! One of my fav wide receivers of all time has signed with my favorite team, the BUFFALO BILLS! Yes we all know T.O has issues off the field, but when he plays, he is one of the best.

Bills signed him to a 1 year 6.8 million dollar deal today.

Way to go Buffalo!!!!!!!!! LETS GO BUFFALO
jiujitsufreak74
3/7/09 6:18:23PM
f*ck my life...
Wolfenstein
3/7/09 6:22:03PM
I would find it hard to believe that Owens will be satisfied in a conservative offense run by Trent Edwards. If it works out though, I do not like the idea of running up against Lee Evans and TO twice a year, with our current crop of CB's.
RampageOwnedYou
3/7/09 6:42:15PM
Hey Wolf, not only those 2, but you got 6"10 2nd year standout Hardy at #3.
Bills will be insane in the Redzone. If only Tony G came to the Bills like we hoped he would last year. I still like the Bills chances now. Last year 4-0 off the start, with Owens, they would of made the playoffs. This year, will be ours.

Im still in shock!!
Twenty20Dollars
3/7/09 8:05:02PM

I still dont think TO is going to be the main factor to turn around the bills. I think the Pats or Jets win the division.
Jackelope
3/7/09 8:16:11PM
Pretty significant towards T.O.'s career that they only signed him to a 1 year deal. This shows the Bills are just as worried as anyone else would be about his locker room presence. If T.O. stops being such a drama queen this could be an awesome signing for the Bills. Personally, I'd rather see T.O. keep up his antics as usual and eventually find himself jobless.
IriShame
3/7/09 9:22:33PM
Oh man. Thank you Buffalo. I had heard some rumblings of the Seahawks possibly picking up T.O. so they didn't have to draft Crabtree and could use the pick to fill another need. I was scared. Buffalo, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
telnights
3/8/09 6:09:31AM
Well not sure why anyone would want T.(all about me)O. on their team. In the long run he hurts teams more than he helps them. He causes drama for the players and management around him. He is the perfect poster child of whats wrong with sports today.
kris_ericson
3/8/09 6:17:04AM
wow as a patriots fan haha T.O. is gonna hurt the bills way to help us out but besides that i think he is a great player he does wat he has to do to try and win games and if anyone thinks that hes bad their dead wrong but he definatley needs to get over his ball hog problem but besides that he really has no faults
hippysmacker
3/8/09 8:27:28AM

Posted by kris_ericson

wow as a patriots fan haha T.O. is gonna hurt the bills way to help us out but besides that i think he is a great player he does wat he has to do to try and win games and if anyone thinks that hes bad their dead wrong but he definatley needs to get over his ball hog problem but besides that he really has no faults

No faults? I will wave his personality issues ( way worse than you can comprehend til you have watched it everyday- and I could write a thesis on his narcissistic primadonna insecure insanities ) aside,and I will just deal with his football playing issues from a football coaches ( i.e. me) perspective. He runs sloppy routes, almost always rounding them off. While he has great top line speed, he takes a long time to reach it. He doesn't naturally catch the ball with his hands, often letting the ball get into his body. He is not the bravest guy if he can't see the defender .He will hear the footsteps and alligator arm it . What was once his greatest strength, beating press coverage at the line of scrimmage, has now become a weakness. Put on the tape of the Dallas/Green bay game and watch Charles Woodson out physical him for 4 quarters. After that game , every team but he 49ers put a corner pressing him at the line , and a safety or nickel back over the top . He had a total of 2 over a hundred yard games last year. The 49er game when the inexplicably chose to only cover him man to man, and the debacle of Philly game to close out e season. Most of the Philly catches were after the game was over, they were playing their second string, and even playing prevent half the time. He also is not very brave over the middle, and misses a lot of routine catches. Does not win a lot jump balls despite his tremendous size. While still productive stats wise, he is on the downside of his career, and in short areas his once tremendous explosiveness is apparently fading . He will get in your QB's head. Instead of reading the defense , the Qb will worry about placating him.Will not accept being anything but the #1 receiver ,and gets lazy blocking in line if you don't throw him the ball regularly.

Here are his current strengths IMO. He has great run after the catch abilty, and will break alot of tackles from DB's. If you have the time for him to build up to top speed, he is a huge deep threat, but you already have Lee Evans for that. He will sell tickets, which Buffalo being a small market team , sorely needs. If you are willing to put a lot of motion, or rub routes in ,to spring him from he line of scrimmage he turn little slants, screens ,and even the occasional hitch into big gains. In short areas on the goal line will keep running , and hoping for the ball even after the play has broken down. Improvises well coming back into his Qb's vision in these circumstances. Is an above average down field blocker for a receiver. His double moves in the post are top notch and his hard to overthrow deep. Will draw some double coverages on obvious passing downs ,helping other guys get open. Last- he usually tries to be good for the first year with a new franchise.
kris_ericson
3/8/09 8:58:08AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by kris_ericson

No faults? I will wave his personality issues ( way worse than you can comprehend til you have watched it everyday- and I could write a thesis on his narcissistic primadonna insecure insanities ) aside,and I will just deal with his football playing issues from a football coaches ( i.e. me) perspective. He runs sloppy routes, almost always rounding them off. While he has great top line speed, he takes a long time to reach it. He doesn't naturally catch the ball with his hands, often letting the ball get into his body. He is not the bravest guy if he can't see the defender .He will hear the footsteps and alligator arm it . What was once his greatest strength, beating press coverage at the line of scrimmage, has now become a weakness. Put on the tape of the Dallas/Green bay game and watch Charles Woodson out physical him for 4 quarters. After that game , every team but he 49ers put a corner pressing him at the line , and a safety or nickel back over the top . He had a total of 2 over a hundred yard games last year. The 49er game when the inexplicably chose to only cover him man to man, and the debacle of Philly game to close out e season. Most of the Philly catches were after the game was over, they were playing their second string, and even playing prevent half the time. He also is not very brave over the middle, and misses a lot of routine catches. Does not win a lot jump balls despite his tremendous size. While still productive stats wise, he is on the downside of his career, and in short areas his once tremendous explosiveness is apparently fading . He will get in your QB's head. Instead of reading the defense , the Qb will worry about placating him.Will not accept being anything but the #1 receiver ,and gets lazy blocking in line if you don't throw him the ball regularly.

Here are his current strengths IMO. He has great run after the catch abilty, and will break alot of tackles from DB's. If you have the time for him to build up to top speed, he is a huge deep threat, but you already have Lee Evans for that. He will sell tickets, which Buffalo being a small market team , sorely needs. If you are willing to put a lot of motion, or rub routes in ,to spring him from he line of scrimmage he turn little slants, screens ,and even the occasional hitch into big gains. In short areas on the goal line will keep running , and hoping for the ball even after the play has broken down. Improvises well coming back into his Qb's vision in these circumstances. Is an above average down field blocker for a receiver. His double moves in the post are top notch and his hard to overthrow deep. Will draw some double coverages on obvious passing downs ,helping other guys get open. Last- he usually tries to be good for the first year with a new franchise.

ok the QB trying to placate T.O. and not reading the defense,will not accept any thing but the #1 reciever, gets lazy blocking in line if you dont throw him the ball regularly kinda fall under the category of personality problems and i do agree with the fact that he is on the downside of his career but do you or do you not agree that he is still not a great reciever
hippysmacker
3/8/09 8:59:59AM
If he behaves ,yes. His positives would outweigh his negatives.I just doubt he will do so. Even from a production on the field alone guys I would prefer 30 other off the top of my head, becuase they don't make you change your offense to fit them , and are more well rounded.
kris_ericson
3/8/09 9:03:14AM
how is he not well rounded but besides that thats excactly what ive been sayin
mkiv9secsupra
3/8/09 11:21:56AM
If the Bills are trying to get into title contention they need to focus on that pitiful defensive front seven of theirs. If i was in charge of free agency at Buffalo i would have spent the extra 4 or 5 million on Haynesworth a year. The D line gave the QB enough time to cook a thanksgiving dinner before they even got a hand on him. The road to the Superbowl starts with the D.

T(eam) O(bliterator) isnt going to get much done before he strats whining. Edwards has shown that he will look for his TE's in the red zone and we all know if TO isnt getting his 10 TDs he is going to cause hell. Plus the fact that Edwards isnt near the upper echelon of QBs at this point.

Buffalo
Trent Edwards: 11 TD's, 10 Int's
-8 Turnover dif, 24 sacks(ranked 28th)

TO cant save them at this point
RampageOwnedYou
3/8/09 1:25:13PM
Seems like we have alot of jealous people. Yeah he has issues, but he is still a top 5 WR hands down. Buffalo was smart to sign him to a 1 year deal, if he smartens up off the field, he will get an extension.
They weren't stupid and signing him 5 years or more.

How would Buffalo get Haynsworth? he signed for 100 million lol Bills dont have that money.

To the other guy, how in the world or why in the world would Seattle get Owens? They just signed T.J Houshmazada (however you spell it).

Owens will be awsome, and the BILLS do need to go after D now, they are offense is sick, now we need solid D, to give us a playoff run.
mkiv9secsupra
3/8/09 3:15:04PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou
Yeah he has issues, but he is still a top 5 WR hands down.

How would Buffalo get Haynsworth? he signed for 100 million lol Bills dont have that money.

Yeah i think we all agree he is still one of the best receivers. But Owens is going to complain and cost Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch a few touches a game as well as the rest of the TEs and WRs and its going to be a minimal gain in yardage a season. I think TO or really any reciever other than Fitzgerald is only going to be a minimal gain for this team. They should just stick with beefing up the D and if they can get a great OT to help out Lynch it would be perfect.

OK so maybe not Haynesworth but they need a playmaker on that D line.

Either way i cant wait to see them smash the Jets next year
The_Ho_Bag
3/8/09 6:15:33PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

f*ck my life...

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hippysmacker
3/8/09 9:48:04PM

Posted by kris_ericson

how is he not well rounded but besides that thats excactly what ive been sayin

Its funny when it typed i apparently left out the word 30, and thats my bad, I was about to go to sleep , but there are literally 30 guys off the top of my head that i would rather have at WR. How can you think a guy with indifferent hands, who runs sloppy routes, and if he does';t get his way will sabotage the offense, is well rounded? I am not even going into the locker room stuff he will cause. You guys are entitled to your own opinions, and I truly wish you well, becuase I wouldn't wish TO on anyone, but the Redskins and Giants However, I would be willing to bet their are less than 10% of fans that would want him on their teams. I spent yesterday with a group that included 11 guys watching the fights. Not one wanted him on their team, and 2 were bummed Dallas cut him, becuase they are Redskin fans. Also, James Hardy is 6"5" ,not 6"10' . Lets try to keep this discussion as factual as we can while sharing opinions. Another of my buddies is a Buffalo fan, and he didn't want TO either, but now that they have signed him he is trying to make the best of it. Talking about the possible upside of TO being a Bill. I understand this, as I we all need hope, but I just had watched Owens wreck the chances of the most talented team in football. No team with that much talent should be unable to win a playoff game , let alone make the playoffs. The main reason is , thanks to Terrell Owens, we were not a team anymore .Look at the Giants . Does anyone think that top to bottom their talent is even top 5 in the league? I have never even talked to a NYG fan who thought so , but they are a team, led by players who make winning a priority, not there own Jersey sales. I am a diehard Dallas fan, and I observed this as closely as any guy can ,who isn't in that locker room. I have also played with ( and once even broke the jaw of one of them ) guys like him in high school and College. I have also coached the same type , and once kicked our only returning all- league player off the team during hell week for this crap. We actually made it to the semi-finals that year, despite the panic when i jettisoned the kid, as he was our best Blocker( TE) and receiver. The selfish and divisive player, who is also charismatic ,is the ultimate team killer in my opinion. As my buddy Matt the Bills fan put it. He thought the Bills would be at best 8-8 this year. With TO they could make the playoffs, or they could implode, but he will take the chance to make the playoffs. He has hope. I understand. With TO on our team I had no hope. I was willing to hope Dallas imploded early , jettisoned TO, and then Jerry Jones would wake up and change the direction of the franchise. Stop enabling, let the coaches coach, or hire a real disciplinarian like Bill Cowher ,and move forward. So I was willing to sacrifice a season to have a chance at a long term, healthy franchise. Matt admitted to me he has lower expectations. He is willing to sacrifice a season for a chance to make the playoffs. We will just have to agree to disagree about TO I guess, but good luck .
urbman
3/8/09 11:11:14PM
I know TO brings some good things to the table,but I believe last season he was 2nd in the league for most dropped passes also with more then 30.
mkiv9secsupra
3/9/09 10:26:56AM
I just thought about this.....

We get to see Randy Moss vs Team Obliterator twice a year now!!!!

Also ESPN's 1st and 10 just said he had 33 dropped passes. That made up my mind. A Johnson, R Moss, L Fitzgerald, A Boldin, H Ward, R White, S Smith, G Jennings and even Calvin Johnson were much more reliable WRs in 2008.
Twenty20Dollars
3/9/09 12:02:28PM
Owens is a NOT a top 5 WR.

Steve smith,larry fitz,boldin,andre johnson, reggie wayne, randy moss, etc... theres probably more.

Bills should have gone with Defense instead of TO, also just brining in TO wont help their offense with an unproved QB and a RB with off the field troubles. And I think the bills didnt win 1 division game last season.
emfleek
3/9/09 2:36:51PM
Buffalo will still struggle to make .500 this year.

At some point, a pattern is established. Owens has been a cancer to EVERY team he's been apart of. To think he's suddenly going to change in Buffalo is laughable.

Let's revive this thread in late December.
cowcatcher
3/9/09 2:58:39PM
TO usually is a good contributor year 1 with a new team though. his skills are declining though, age is a factor here, but i think he can help buffalo be a wild card contender. maybe he'll find god or something and be reformed, im trying to be glass half full here......at least hes not a packer
emfleek
3/9/09 3:14:15PM

Posted by cowcatcher

TO usually is a good contributor year 1 with a new team though. his skills are declining though, age is a factor here, but i think he can help buffalo be a wild card contender. maybe he'll find god or something and be reformed, im trying to be glass half full here......at least hes not a packer

Jeff Garcia > Trent Edwards
Donovan McNabb > Trent Edwards
Tony Romo > Trent Edwards

A receiver is only as good as his QB and I just don't see it with Edwards. Granted, I could be wrong and I really hope I am...Buffalo is one of the few teams in the NFL that I quietly root for. However, like I said, I'm not sold on Trent Edwards.
cowcatcher
3/9/09 3:34:24PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by cowcatcher

Jeff Garcia > Trent Edwards
Donovan McNabb > Trent Edwards
Tony Romo > Trent Edwards

A receiver is only as good as his QB and I just don't see it with Edwards. Granted, I could be wrong and I really hope I am...Buffalo is one of the few teams in the NFL that I quietly root for. However, like I said, I'm not sold on Trent Edwards.

having lee evans on the other side, a great former badger i might add, should help everyone in the offense though.....still trying to be glass half full
CwB
3/9/09 4:21:58PM
At least he's not a Raider...
RampageOwnedYou
3/9/09 7:16:30PM

but there are literally 30 guys off the top of my head that i would rather have at WR. How can you think a guy with indifferent hands, who runs sloppy routes, and if he does';t get his way will sabotage the offense, is well rounded?

Im sorry, im glad you said this is your opinion, because I dislike when people try to tell me how well or bad a guy is. Like I dont know what im talking about........I have been watching football (NFL) Since I was 7 years old. Im now a few months from 30 years old. So I have been watching a very long time. Im not a casual fan, im a HARDCORE fan. Meaning, I have Sunday NFL Ticket, and I do about 8 NFL Fantasy leagues a year. Plus a 50 man pool for picking teams head to head from week 1 to week 17. No spread, just str8 pick em. and I avg about 3rd place every year. Last year 2nd. So I know my stuff.

You think people when I say OWENS IS A TOP 5 WR, I mean as of this year? Im sorry but do I have to spell it out? I MEANT of current receivers and as what they have done to now. The guy isn't retired, nor its obvious he aint the WR he was in SF, but he is still a great player ON the field. Great WRS are S Smith, Fitz, Housman, Hines Ward and Moss. Those are guys who are in the same bracket as Owens.

I laugh at some of you naming ppl current. Like guys who just looked good in the past year or two. You know how many guys look good for 2 years, then are never heard of again?
Shawn91111
3/9/09 7:39:06PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

but there are literally 30 guys off the top of my head that i would rather have at WR. How can you think a guy with indifferent hands, who runs sloppy routes, and if he does';t get his way will sabotage the offense, is well rounded?

Im sorry, im glad you said this is your opinion, because I dislike when people try to tell me how well or bad a guy is. Like I dont know what im talking about........I have been watching football (NFL) Since I was 7 years old. Im now a few months from 30 years old. So I have been watching a very long time. Im not a casual fan, im a HARDCORE fan. Meaning, I have Sunday NFL Ticket, and I do about 8 NFL Fantasy leagues a year. Plus a 50 man pool for picking teams head to head from week 1 to week 17. No spread, just str8 pick em. and I avg about 3rd place every year. Last year 2nd. So I know my stuff.

You think people when I say OWENS IS A TOP 5 WR, I mean as of this year? Im sorry but do I have to spell it out? I MEANT of current receivers and as what they have done to now. The guy isn't retired, nor its obvious he aint the WR he was in SF, but he is still a great player ON the field. Great WRS are S Smith, Fitz, Housman, Hines Ward and Moss. Those are guys who are in the same bracket as Owens.

I laugh at some of you naming ppl current. Like guys who just looked good in the past year or two. You know how many guys look good for 2 years, then are never heard of again?

I disagree saying TJ Who'sYourMomma is a great WR. A good possession reciever sure but not a great WR or top 5
hippysmacker
3/10/09 3:56:03AM
I will specify exactly what I mean. If given the choice of having TO on my team( from his playing standpoint only) not the locker room stuff I will now make you a list of player I would rather have. Now keep in mind the harassing the Qb in the huddle is a part of on the field play, as someone in this thread thought i was talking about the insecure locker room primadonna part. i wasn't. When a QB has to drop back ,and instead of reading the defense he's thinking about something else, it affects your abilty to throw the ball. Also, in the huddle there needs to be one voice , The Qb's. We need to know the play and the snap count, and be focused only on that. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but Dallas has led the league in procedural penalties since TO arrived, It wasn't a problem before he got there , but distractions cause sloppy mental mistakes. Anyway, here is the list of WR's I would rather have on my team, even without the divisive locker room stuff, even it was just for this one year.

1. Fitzgerald
2.Boldin
3.S. Breaston
4.A. Johnson
5.Calvin Jhonson
6.D, Bowe
7.B. Marshal
8.E. Royal
9.Roy Wiliams
10.Santana Moss
11.R. Moss
12.W. Welker
13.Steve Smith( Carolina)
14.A. Bryant
15.R. White
16.H. Ward
17.S. Holmes
18.G. Jennings
19.D. Driver
20.B. Edwards
21.M. Colston
22.L. Moore
23. B. Berrian
24.L. Evans
25.V. Jackson
26.R. Wayne
27.D. Mason
28.Chad Jhonson
29.Deoin Branch
and your boy ( jk) 30. TJ Housemanzadeh. Add 2 guys in the draft( Crabtree, Maclin too:)TJ may not have Owens speed, abilty to stretch the defense, or run after the catch abilty. However he does have some definite strengths. He is great underneath, has great hands, fearless over the middle,runs precise routes, catches the ball at it's highest point, is money in the red zone, and has proven he can share the ball with another great receiver since he came into his own.All great qualities. He also was in a offense with another great receiver, who runs the deep routs he doesn't, so it is possible he can do more given the chance. To is also money in the red zone, but all the other things I listed TJ does better IMO, and its a opinion of someone who has coached football for a long time. TO does do some great things on the field,and i think he will open up some big plays balls for Evans, but I don't think he's worth the possible side affects he brings with them . Now that we did the on field arguments , I have to throw in the rest for the overall discussion.Add the locker room destruction possibilities , the constant whining for attention, the bad example he sets for younger players , the harassment of coaches ,and I wouldn't have him on my team for any price. Now Like i said before, he is on a one year deal, and is usually great his first year.His personality is even toned down some at first. Still ,he is older now, and on the downside of his career. That's 30 receivers , but I promised I would go off the top of my head. I might be able top do more if I looked up some stats.Heck some of the receivers on my list have off the field issues,their own weaknesses, their own team baggage, are injury prone, and I still would rather have them. I have watched him like a hawk for 3 years, and have broken down every game film he had in Dallas, So I wish you well, and understand where you are coming from, but we will just have to agree to disagree on this. Good luck with your season.

Shawn91111
3/10/09 4:16:56AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I will specify exactly what I mean. If given the choice of having TO on my team( from his playing standpoint only) not the locker room stuff I will now make you a list of player I would rather have. Now keep in mind the harassing the Qb in the huddle is a part of on the field play, as someone in this thread thought i was talking about the insecure locker room primadonna part. i wasn't. When a QB has to drop back ,and instead of reading the defense he's thinking about something else, it affects your abilty to throw the ball. Also, in the huddle there needs to be one voice , The Qb's. We need to know the play and the snap count, and be focused only on that. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but Dallas has led the league in procedural penalties since TO arrived, It wasn't a problem before he got there , but distractions cause sloppy mental mistakes. Anyway, here is the list of WR's I would rather have on my team, even without the divisive locker room stuff, even it was just for this one year.

1. Fitzgerald
2.Boldin
3.S. Breaston
4.A. Johnson
5.Calvin Jhonson
6.D, Bowe
7.B. Marshal
8.E. Royal
9.Roy Wiliams
10.Santana Moss
11.R. Moss
12.W. Welker
13.Steve Smith( Carolina)
14.A. Bryant
15.R. White
16.H. Ward
17.S. Holmes
18.G. Jennings
19.D. Driver
20.B. Edwards
21.M. Colston
22.L. Moore
23. B. Berrian
24.L. Evans
25.V. Jackson
26.R. Wayne
27.D. Mason
28.Chad Jhonson
29.Deoin Branch
and your boy ( jk) 30. TJ Housemanzadeh. Add 2 guys in the draft( Crabtree, Maclin too:)TJ may not have Owens speed, abilty to stretch the defense, or run after the catch abilty. However he does have some definite strengths. He is great underneath, has great hands, fearless over the middle,runs precise routes, catches the ball at it's highest point, is money in the red zone, and has proven he can share the ball with another great receiver since he came into his own.All great qualities. He also was in a offense with another great receiver, who runs the deep routs he doesn't, so it is possible he can do more given the chance. To is also money in the red zone, but all the other things I listed TJ does better IMO, and its a opinion of someone who has coached football for a long time. TO does do some great things on the field,and i think he will open up some big plays balls for Evans, but I don't think he's worth the possible side affects he brings with them . Now that we did the on field arguments , I have to throw in the rest for the overall discussion.Add the locker room destruction possibilities , the constant whining for attention, the bad example he sets for younger players , the harassment of coaches ,and I wouldn't have him on my team for any price. Now Like i said before, he is on a one year deal, and is usually great his first year.His personality is even toned down some at first. Still ,he is older now, and on the downside of his career. That's 30 receivers , but I promised I would go off the top of my head. I might be able top do more if I looked up some stats.Heck some of the receivers on my list have off the field issues,their own weaknesses, their own team baggage, are injury prone, and I still would rather have them. I have watched him like a hawk for 3 years, and have broken down every game film he had in Dallas, So I wish you well, and understand where you are coming from, but we will just have to agree to disagree on this. Good luck with your season.

I dont agree for the simple fact that Defensive Coordinators are trying to draw up game plans to stop TO, are they giving the same mind frame to trying to stop Berrian and a few other WR's on that list? Not to say TO wont slow down at some point being 36 but he's still dangerous enough to get the respect of opposing defenses, other WR's on that list do not. This 1 yr contract is probably enough motivation to perform at a great level to get another contract or an extension.
Pages: [1] 2