Most overrated/underrated fighters

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Most overrated/underrated fighters
Next Page »
CCPRIDE99
5/6/08 3:35:06PM
this discussion came up in school today so id just like to hear some opinions
put down your top five most overrated and underrated guys and elaborate on the guys opinions above you
Most overrated:
#5-Diego Sanchez
#4-Spencer Fisher
#3-Antonio Nogueira
#2-Kimbo Slice
#1-BJ penn
Most underrated:
#5-Nick Diaz
#4-Marcus Davis
#3-Sean Sherk
#2-Paulo Flho
#1-Josh Koscheck
Twenty20Dollars
5/6/08 3:38:20PM
bj penn is not overrated. he is rated very well.

paulo filho is overrated. i dont think he does well againest top contenders IMO.
KYGUY07
5/6/08 3:38:46PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

put down your top five most overrated and underrated guys and elaborate on the guys opinions above you
Most overrated:
#5-Diego Sanchez
#4-Spencer Fisher
#3-Antonio Nogueira
#2-Kimbo Slice
#1-BJ penn
Most underrated:
#5-Nick Diaz
#4-Marcus Davis
#3-Sean Sherk
#2-Paulo Flho
#1-Josh Koscheck

I agree with the fisher and kimbo being overrated, but I cant see how anybody can say Nog, or Bj are overrated.
Jackelope
5/6/08 3:49:25PM
Wow... just.... wow. BJ Penn most overrated fighter? Haha.

I'm going to say

Most overrated-

#5 Rashad Evans
#4 Brandon Vera
#3 Houston Alexander
#2 Kimbo Slice
#1 Brock Lesnar

Most underrated

#5 Aleksander Emelianenko
#4 Joachim "Hellboy" Hansen
#3 Clay Guida (mostly based on very controversial decisions)
#2 Frank Mir (due to the fact that most people's knowledge on him is based on his first couple of post accident fights)
#1 Tim Sylvia
Ben_Hutch
5/6/08 3:57:05PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Most overrated:
#5-Diego Sanchez
#4-Spencer Fisher
#3-Antonio Nogueira
#2-Kimbo Slice
#1-BJ penn
Most underrated:
#5-Nick Diaz
#4-Marcus Davis
#3-Sean Sherk
#2-Paulo Flho
#1-Josh Koscheck

Diego Sanchez is not overrated, he's a class fighter.
BJ Penn is no way overrated, he is one of the best all-round mixed martial artists and the best LW in the world.

Marcus Davis is becoming recognized as a lethal force in the WW division, he is now well rated.
Sean Sherk is not underrated, he was the LW champ before being done for steroids, hard to say an ex champ is overrated, especially when he never lost his title.
Koscheck is very well rated, he has brilliant wrestling, his last loss was to GSP, which as we all know is nothing to be ashamed of.

Not looking for an argument bro, just my point of view.
ToeZup
5/6/08 4:43:07PM
I like your underrated fighters list.
I think Jeremy Stephens is a very underrated lightweight as well.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/6/08 5:21:56PM
i agree that Filho is very overrated as is kimbo.

i think diaz is underrated,

AND LET'S NOT FORGET MATT SERRA
juanez13
5/6/08 5:30:04PM
i dont think Noguiera is overrated, other than Fedor there are very few people that can beat him. BJ is another guy i would take off.

I also wouldnt consider brock lesnar overrated, as its just hype because of his background, its more people interested in what he can do in a real fight, its not people saying that he is world Class already. To me i see him as a guy with alot of natural ability, whether he can learn is another thing.

IMO is also believe Paulo filho is OVERrated, by most he is ranked top 3 in the world, which i dont believe he is. I think anyone with Ok Jits, and decent wrestling would beat him. against the guys on top i cant see him doing too well.

Most Underrated->

Defenately Joachim Hansen. also Eddie alvarez. although he hasnt shown all he has yet i believe he has great potential.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick diaz is also a guy i could never see as a champ, his wrestling is his biggest downfall, and anyone that can defend the subs and control him would beat him IMO.
CCPRIDE99
5/6/08 6:06:11PM
i said sherk is underrated to the guy who said i thought he was overrated. i feel this way because he is the #1 lightwieght in the world and i dont think bj has ever beaten any top guys other than matt hughes and everyone saw what happened when they fought again
Ben_Hutch
5/6/08 6:48:46PM
Gray Maynard is a very underrated LW.
chickmagnet
5/6/08 6:56:20PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

i said sherk is underrated to the guy who said i thought he was overrated. i feel this way because he is the #1 lightwieght in the world and i dont think bj has ever beaten any top guys other than matt hughes and everyone saw what happened when they fought again

No way.

First BJ is far from overrated. He is top 5 p4p. BJ walked through Hughes the first fight. Yeah we all know what happened in the second fight...BJ was owning him BADLY until he broke his rib, and if you have ever have had a broken rib, it's pretty hard to breath FYE. So to say BJ is overrated is not very smart. BJ I believe won the St. Pierre fight if you have ever seen it, he mauled St. Pierre on the feet and it was even on the ground. He's gonna outclass Sherk in every aspect of their fight, watch and see.

By the way, Takanori Gomi is another victm of Penn's, same with Matt Serra. To say they are not top guys at 155 would be foolish.
Decision
5/6/08 7:07:07PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Gray Maynard is a very underrated LW.

GSPCanada
5/6/08 7:10:36PM
Nog is overrated? he's the #2 heavyweight in the world. unless you rate him #1 he is not overrrated, most ridiculous statement I've ever heard.

Bj Penn is not overrated especially at 155 w/ onyl 2 loss to pulver thats been avaenged, if you say bj is #2 lightweight in the world you are underrating him.
XblacksheepX
5/6/08 8:16:37PM
Paulo Filho didn't look that good in his last fights in the wec. but still he won and if you're looking on his perfect record while fighting very tough opponents in pride in the past i don't think he's overrated at all. Still don't understand why zuffa didn't take him to the ufc, where the middleweight division is pretty weak right now.

When it comes to overating fighters its because of the hype that wasn't proofed. Sean Sherk for example for me is a very good wrestler with a good chin, but when it comes to other areas he isn't close to a top ten position. He wins his fights with boring lay n pray most of the time.

prozacnation1978
5/6/08 8:34:19PM
most overated is fihlo, kimbo, bisping, kendall grove

underated maybe okami, or maynard, or davis
Gladiator
5/6/08 8:53:03PM
underrated:
Keith Jardine, Chris Lytle, jake shields
EON
5/6/08 9:10:27PM
Overrated

Florian
Sherk
Bisbing
Rashad
Ortiz
Liddell
Couture
Gomi
Stevenson
Tyson Griffin
Lutter
Kongo
Sokoudjou
Hughes
Basshandsome
5/6/08 9:16:12PM
IMO, I think that BJ Penn is quite Overrated. He has lost 3 out of his last 6. I don't think any Top P4P fighter should have those loses no matter the circumstances. I know that he was fighting at a higher weight class but he has not beat any top 10 LW yet either (you could argue Joe). I don't put to much into ratings but I think that people talk about him as the greatest fighter ever too often. I think BJ is a very good fighter with great talents I just don't believe he is a top 10 P4P fighter and most people have him top 3 or 5.
NatedawgThaM
5/6/08 9:21:20PM

Posted by EON

Overrated

Florian
Sherk
Bisbing
Rashad
Ortiz
Liddell
Couture
Gomi
Stevenson
Tyson Griffin
Lutter
Kongo
Sokoudjou
Hughes

With all of them except Florian, Sherk, and Stevenson. Also Tito and Hughes to a certain extent. I liked Tito when he use to GNP wherever the fight went but now he's just a boring guard guy. Also Hughes use to not be overrated since he use to be the best but anybody who thinks he can beat any fighter who is also a good wrestler in the top 10 is themselves.

JBatch
5/6/08 9:34:59PM
Overrated:
Kimbo
Denis Kang
Paulo Filho
Forrest Griffin

Underrated:
Brian Stann
Mark Hominick
Chris Horedecki
Drew Fickett
Cung Le
Nick Diaz
Keith Jardine
CCPRIDE99
5/6/08 9:35:41PM
ive never been impressed by gomi especially after diaz whooped him
and bjs fight with serra was close as hell and that was before serra had the striking he did now
and bj was beating st pierre because he poked him in the eye and broke his nose but then he came back so if bj is so great why didnt he do the same when hughes broke his rib?
CCPRIDE99
5/6/08 9:54:28PM

Posted by Basshandsome

IMO, I think that BJ Penn is quite Overrated. He has lost 3 out of his last 6. I don't think any Top P4P fighter should have those loses no matter the circumstances. I know that he was fighting at a higher weight class but he has not beat any top 10 LW yet either (you could argue Joe). I don't put to much into ratings but I think that people talk about him as the greatest fighter ever too often. I think BJ is a very good fighter with great talents I just don't believe he is a top 10 P4P fighter and most people have him top 3 or 5.

i agree with just about all of that but i dont think you can argue joe because he didnt do that great against cummo and almost lost a few times and cummo lost to goulet and fioravanti, pellegrino took him the distance and pellegrino got beat easy by fickett and got subbed by diaz, and josh neer straight up beat his ass so no you cant argue joe hes also overrated
JBatch
5/6/08 10:12:13PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

ive never been impressed by gomi especially after diaz whooped him
and bjs fight with serra was close as hell and that was before serra had the striking he did now
and bj was beating st pierre because he poked him in the eye and broke his nose but then he came back so if bj is so great why didnt he do the same when hughes broke his rib?

I can tell you one thing sir, Takanori Gomi is not overrated.
pharside
5/6/08 11:27:46PM
Jon Fitch is really underrated
Vladimir Matyushenko is underrated i think

think Big Nog is overrated... Very very good but overrated.
rabbit915
5/7/08 12:14:03AM
Over-rated:

5. Joe Stevenson
4. Matt Lindland
3. Frank Mir ( One of my favorites but he is not a contender without more wins)
2. Cung Le (Hes good but hes not top 10)
1. Micheal Bisping

Under-rated

5. Demian Maia
4. Jay Hieron
3. Mike Whitehead
2. Gray Maynard
1. Vladimir Matyshenko (Ive said it before and ill say it again, i think he could win the UFC LHW Title)

In hindsight these arent really in any order nor do they reflect my most overrated or underrated. They are just some guys that i think are under or over rated.
GrandMaster313
5/7/08 12:35:14AM
IMOP....... I think you should switch Noguiera with Sean Sherk. And I like Marcus Davis but until I see some sort of ground game i am not going to be convinced completely !
ocho-cinco
5/7/08 2:44:31AM
Most Over Rated (not in order)

Matt Serra - good fighter, but no title defenses for a year, then loses the belt without putting up much of a fight.

Travis Lutter - get in shape next time, that second round against Franklin was embarassing

Spencer Fisher - I hate to put him on this list, but I think he is on the down stroke, with an ever increasing talent pool in the light weight division. Love to watch him fight though.

Rashad Evans - He has alot of talent, and confidence, but I don't see him ever wearing that LHW crown.

Kendall Grove - I don't no if people still rate him high, but I'll make room for him on this list because he deserves it. The TUF winner, has not lived up to any of the promise he showed on the show. Mabey looking up to Tito isn't such a good thing??? Just throwing that out there....

Honorable Mention goes to GG, for not showing up, against Fabricio Werdum.

I might do the Under Rated guys later
Kpro
5/7/08 3:00:18AM

Posted by ToeZup

I like your underrated fighters list.
I think Jeremy Stephens is a very underrated lightweight as well.

Props to you; Stephens tops my underrated chart. I also believe, and have for some time, that Jake Shields is the #1 WW in the world which obviously means I think he is underrated. I would have Condit on my list of underrated as well.
fonduktoe
5/7/08 5:12:29AM
overrated-gomi, fitch, koschek, evans, sokoudjou, mir, edgar, kongo, kang, sherk,kimbo (and many others as i feel fighters get overhyped much more frequently than underhyped)
underrated-thiago silva, marcus davis, wilson goulveia, lyoto machida, clay guida, anderson silva, gsp, fedor, and ross pointon (the last 4 are for giggles).
fonduktoe
5/7/08 5:15:23AM
davis has posted several submissions and takedowns which IMO constitutes a viable ground game
Pages: [1] 2