Overpaid?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Overpaid?
jawbreaker517
10/27/10 10:22:02AM
Does anyone think Brock and Tito(especially) were compensated too much for losing? Damn, Brock still made 400,000! Tito made 250k(or something), while Hammil won and made 58k?
AchillesHeel
10/27/10 10:46:39AM
Welcome to professional sports. Pull up a chair.
gartface
10/27/10 10:46:56AM

Posted by jawbreaker517

Does anyone think Brock and Tito(especially) were compensated too much for losing? Damn, Brock still made 400,000! Tito made 250k(or something), while Hammil made 58k and lost.Huh?

Despite anyone's feelings to the contrary, they are two of the biggest draws in the sport, and more than likely brought in at least that much money in revenue through ticket sales or pay-per-view sales.

Unfortunately sometimes in this sport, you're paid for your popularity and not exactly by merit.
SmileR
10/27/10 10:49:02AM
I don't think Brock is overpaid because he was the champion and also pulls in a huge amount of viewers, but Tito getting $250,000 is a joke!
That guy hasn't won a fight in years and he could never headline a card!

I'm thinking the UFC are regretting signing him now.
gartface
10/27/10 10:56:43AM

Posted by SmileR
Tito getting $250,000 is a joke!

It is, but name recognition goes a long way.
aristipe
10/27/10 11:02:13AM
Given the enormous pay per view revenues of the UFC, there is no such thing as an overpaid UFC fighter. But there are far too many underpaid guys. That's a fact.
SmileR
10/27/10 11:13:08AM

Posted by aristipe

Given the enormous pay per view revenues of the UFC, there is no such thing as an overpaid UFC fighter. But there are far too many underpaid guys. That's a fact.

Look at pretty much every other fighting sport and tell them that. Boxers fighting on undercards are lucky if they make their travel money back. Forget about training, living and luxuries, if you're fighting in the UFC or MMA in general you make a hell of a lot more than almost anybody else of your level fighting in anything else.
SmileR
10/27/10 11:20:48AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

Yeah, but it still sucks he gets that much when you could have had Kenny Florian, Thaigo Alves, Frank Mir and Rich Franklin all fighting and STILL have change from Tito's wage!

gartface
10/27/10 11:24:33AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

Yeah, but it still sucks he gets that much when you could have had Kenny Florian, Thaigo Alves, Frank Mir and Rich Franklin all fighting and STILL have change from Tito's wage!

Yep, it's the nature of the media beast though.
SmileR
10/27/10 11:48:15AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

I hate that beast!
gartface
10/27/10 11:50:02AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

I hate that beast!

As do I, but it's unfortunately a beast I want to be part of. Not so much on the PR side though.
Twenty20Dollars
10/27/10 12:35:30PM
Yeah I dont think Dana wants to keep paying tito that amount of money for him just to be competitive and still lose.
cowcatcher
10/27/10 1:07:18PM

Posted by gartface

Unfortunately sometimes in life, you're paid for your popularity and not exactly by merit.

fixed.

thats just the way it is, does a guy that cleans septic tanks deserve less than a guy that sits on a board for some corporation as a token gesture because of his family name? not in my eyes, but thats just the way it goes, poop occurs and you just cant sweat it.

the fact that tito and brock are draws makes them valuable just like a guy with a connection to the kennedys has value in his name. in truth, they do make, and have made the UFC an asston of money as well.
Twenty20Dollars
10/27/10 3:07:13PM
if we are talking overpaid, let's take a look back at james toney in the ufc.
vomitshovel
10/27/10 5:06:40PM
It's about how much each person has been marketed. Not what the MMA fans think, but how many people it will make turn the channel over.
Tito obviously got a big purse for his role on The Apprentice, and some other TV spots he's had. Any fighter who appeals to the masses, which excluded the minorities of people who actually know what the hell is going on in the cage, will be payed more because their managers know they will make UFC "x" amount due to their fame, and thus they can ask for "y" amount.
JimiMak
10/27/10 5:54:11PM
Some guys signed better contracts than others, in most cases it's obvious why they were able to do so. **shrug**
BustedKnuckle
10/28/10 8:16:17PM
I dont think it's that Brock and Tito are overpaid..................It's that the rest are very UNDERPAID!! Especialy in the UFC. I think there should be a basline for "League lowest pay" guys who fight on the undecards cant even get their injurys properly attended to because of thier pay!