Overeem's win overshadowed by Lesnar's retirement.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Overeem's win overshadowed by Lesnar's retirement.
FastKnockout
12/31/11 1:27:35AM
Seems that way. I give all the credit in the world to Overeem. He had a lot of people doubting him coming into this fight.

It also makes me think about when the WEC merged with the UFC and Henderson/Cerrone emerged as deadly contenders for the title.. Now Diaz and Overeem left Strikeforce and look to do the same.. Maybe the UFC isn't as far from the rest of the world talent wise as Dana would like to think.
prozacnation1978
12/31/11 1:52:44AM
I was a tad shocked lesnar retired
So many ufc fighters retired this year its amazing

Couture, almeida, hamill, penn, lesnar, crocop, and possible hughes. Not to forget lytle as well
Lesnar1
12/31/11 1:55:45AM
Lesnar retiring was Big News, but the beatdown he recieved, the new number 1 contender for the HW strap & future matchup with JDS is even bigger imo, Plus i think there were alot of doubts about Lesnar continuing with mixed martial arts if he lost against Reem.

Also I think alot of the SF/WEC fighters were & are now on level & have the ability to defeat alot of the fighters on the UFC roster, Reem, Cerrone, Henderson, Barnett, Lawal, Melendez, Mousassi, Henderson, Thomson, Noons, Diaz and a bunch of others who are now competing with the UFC or still in SF are capable of beating any of the top level UFC talent.

Even over in Dream guys like Aoki, Bibiano Fernandes, Kawajiri, Zaromskis. Or Hector Lombard & Eddie Alvarez from Bellator fc. All these fighters who do or don't currently compete in the UFC are some of the best in the world Talent wise.
Pookie
12/31/11 2:18:16AM

Posted by Lesnar1

Lesnar retiring was Big News, but the beatdown he recieved, the new number 1 contender for the HW strap & future matchup with JDS is even bigger imo, Plus i think there were alot of doubts about Lesnar continuing with mixed martial arts if he lost against Reem.

Also I think alot of the SF/WEC fighters were & are now on level & have the ability to defeat alot of the fighters on the UFC roster, Reem, Cerrone, Henderson, Barnett, Lawal, Melendez, Mousassi, Henderson, Thomson, Noons, Diaz and a bunch of others who are now competing with the UFC or still in SF are capable of beating any of the top level UFC talent.

Even over in Dream guys like Aoki, Bibiano Fernandes, Kawajiri, Zaromskis. Or Hector Lombard & Eddie Alvarez from Bellator fc. All these fighters who do or don't currently compete in the UFC are some of the best in the world Talent wise.

LightsOUT23
12/31/11 8:24:29AM
Hey guys, with Lesnar retiring, there is no doubt in my mind that anyone who thinks Barnett wont get his shot in the UFC (presuming he wins the SF GP) will be coming over to fight for the title. With Overeem vs JDS already in place, I see a possible rematch of Mir vs Carwin or Mir vs Valesquez to co-main event sometime next year. The HW division took a blow for the match maker last night on Brock's announcement.