Does Overeem's K1 title help or hinder him in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Does Overeem's K1 title help or hinder him in MMA?
POLL: Does the fact that he holds the K1 title help or hinder Overeem?
Yeah 71% (10)
Nope 29% (4)
SmileR
12/11/10 4:41:53PM
Does the fact that Overeem won the K1 grand prix title help or hinder his MMA career?

On one hand, he is without doubt the most dangerous and technical striker in MMA's heavyweight devision. I've even heard people calling him a modern day CroCop.
But on the other does this mean he is dedicating too much time to his striking and neglecting his ground game?

What's the opinion on here?

EDIT, I hit enter before I mean to the poll is meant to read:
Yeah, it helps
or
Nope it hinders
ncordless
12/11/10 5:26:01PM
Posted by ncordless

1. I don't think it hinders him as far as making his mma game weak at all. Overeem has been fighting for many years, and as far as his ground game goes, it has always been the same. Decent takedowns, good top position control, strong gnp, killer guillotine, decent tdd (which has been helped by his size gain), and almost helpless off his back.

2. It has helped his mma game as far as his striking goes. First off, Overeem is not a brilliant technical striker. Whoever has been saying that doesn't know what they are talking about. He is the most dangerous striker, but it's not like he is stringing together 5-strike combos or throwing flying roundhouses or spinning elbows. He has however really tightened up his defense and learned how to get real power in behind his punches. Also, where in K-1 his knees have become less of a weapon, in MMA he is still going to be able to destroy a lot of people with a thai plum.

3. I do think that this victory will hinder his K-1 career, but for different reasons than the ones you gave. This kind of K-1 success will draw him even further away from mma. In fact, I would not be surprised if we never see Overeem in a major mma fight again. It is a lot like when Semmy went to K-1. A lot of people don't remember that he was an mma fighter first, and that's because when he started having that kind of success he all but quit mma. I wouldn't be too surprised to see the same from Alistair.
tcunningham
12/11/10 5:33:32PM
i dont see how it can hinder him. K-1 has the very best strikers in the world, who else in MMA can say they are among the greatest strikers in the world and actually be able to back it up with a K-1 title. fedor is has always been a great striker but i dont see hm being that level even. however cro cop will always be the sh!t.
grappler0000
12/11/10 6:24:54PM
I guess there are two different ways to look at his MMA career after this. He could fully concentrate on K-1 from here out. He seems to be a guy that is very motivated by accomplishments though. Aside from going for multiple titles, which I'm not sure interests him, there's not really anything left for him to accomplish in K-1. I think this might actually do the opposite and free him up to accomplish any remaining goals he has in MMA. His new price tag in Japan might change those plans, but I think he's at a point where new challenges are a higher priority for him.
warglory
12/11/10 7:39:10PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by ncordless

1. I don't think it hinders him as far as making his mma game weak at all. Overeem has been fighting for many years, and as far as his ground game goes, it has always been the same. Decent takedowns, good top position control, strong gnp, killer guillotine, decent tdd (which has been helped by his size gain), and almost helpless off his back.

2. It has helped his mma game as far as his striking goes. First off, Overeem is not a brilliant technical striker. Whoever has been saying that doesn't know what they are talking about. He is the most dangerous striker, but it's not like he is stringing together 5-strike combos or throwing flying roundhouses or spinning elbows. He has however really tightened up his defense and learned how to get real power in behind his punches. Also, where in K-1 his knees have become less of a weapon, in MMA he is still going to be able to destroy a lot of people with a thai plum.

3. I do think that this victory will hinder his K-1 career, but for different reasons than the ones you gave. This kind of K-1 success will draw him even further away from mma. In fact, I would not be surprised if we never see Overeem in a major mma fight again. It is a lot like when Semmy went to K-1. A lot of people don't remember that he was an mma fighter first, and that's because when he started having that kind of success he all but quit mma. I wouldn't be too surprised to see the same from Alistair.

Yeah but when Semmy quit MMA, the money was garbage, while Japan was willing to pay a lot more, hence all the defections also during this time to PRIDE from the UFC. I am willing to bet Alistair will make less money doing K-1, than he would as a champion caliber heavyweight in MMA under Strikeforce or the UFC, if he were to keep getting major wins.
mrsmiley
12/11/10 7:46:46PM
To me this in no way hinders his MMA career. It doesn't do a whole lot to help it to a certain degree but it adds another notch under his belt and increases the solitidy of his skills.If more causal MMA fans where aware of K1 it would greatly increase his popularity.
Taylor8766
12/11/10 8:35:22PM
I definetly think it helps him due to the fact that he entered an 8 man tournament ant went 3-0, I would say it hingers him if he would have lost to an underdog.