SF: Overeem-Rogers Is For The Title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » SF: Overeem-Rogers Is For The Title
DCRage
3/29/10 11:05:15AM
At long last, Alistair Overeem is finally defending his Strikeforce Heavyweight Championship. SF officials confirmed over the weekend that Overeem vs. Brett Rogers on 5/15 will be for the title. At first there was uncertainty over the title's status even though it was expected to be for the belt, but now Overeem will make his first defense of the belt he won in late 2007.

Article
GSPwnzore
3/29/10 1:48:31PM
So because Fedor wont fight Overeem until he passes a drug test they put rogers, the man who lost to fedor up for a title shot? Backwards Strikeforce. Its almost like they're seeing if Overeem is ready to fight Fedor haha.
BMF
3/29/10 1:48:50PM
I guess I am confused on why Rogers is fighting for the title and not Fedor?

Wouldn't make more sense to have Rogers vs Werdum and Overeem vs Fedor?

Oh wait, it's strikeforce, nevermind.
Caesarrrr
3/29/10 1:50:27PM
Strikeforce needed this, it's a good move. The title is already a joke as it is, because they hype Fedor as the best in the world, while their own champ hasn't fought for them in two years. Hopefully this move will salvage some of the legitimacy of the belt, but I doubt it.
joshjr
3/29/10 2:46:45PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

Strikeforce needed this, it's a good move. The title is already a joke as it is, because they hype Fedor as the best in the world, while their own champ hasn't fought for them in two years. Hopefully this move will salvage some of the legitimacy of the belt, but I doubt it.

I dont really see how it can. I mean what if Rogers wins? Thats a crock. Rogers as the champ against Fedor? Who would believe in that? In my opinion its not a good fight for StrikeForce. It really makes no sence to have it.
cmill21
3/29/10 2:50:20PM
Has to be this way, Fedor was schedded to face Werdum before Overeem said he would fight, and on top of that Fedor said he'll face Overeem after a passed drug test, which shouldn't be hard to accomplish but I guess it apperently was since they're not fighting lol.
icantthinkofanything
3/29/10 3:25:47PM
Im glad/ the belt has been hostage for a long time. Lets see if Overeem can take Bret Rogers. I predict a long war, where Roger's wins by ko or ud.
prozacnation1978
3/29/10 3:28:54PM
Nice to see a guy who loses a fight get rewarded with
A title shot. Why not just give it to lashley while your at it
seanfu
3/29/10 4:26:55PM
Should be one hell of a fight either way.
DCRage
3/29/10 4:48:04PM
For those complaining andd wondering why Rogers, it's simple: With a Fedor fight a ways off it at all (he's got Fabricio Werdum next), right now it's Rogers or no title fight at all and this ongoing waiting game continues.
sparky
3/29/10 5:05:43PM

Posted by seanfu

Should be one hell of a fight either way.

Agreed!!
State_Champ
3/29/10 5:15:14PM
WAR ROGERS!
Caesarrrr
3/29/10 7:04:21PM
I feel like this is the only way to give some validity to the title. Think about it, what if it isn't a title bout, and rogers wins? then you've got a champion who lost his last bought to a guy coming off a loss. It discredits Overeem.
RearNakedJoke
3/29/10 7:59:33PM
it will be nice to see the belt on someone who isnt afraid to fight.
noahgenda
3/30/10 5:27:20PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Nice to see a guy who loses a fight get rewarded with
A title shot. Why not just give it to lashley while your at it

lol@ that actually making more sense!
MaxOne
3/30/10 6:31:32PM
sounds good to me. let's just get the title back on the line. there are several good heavyweights in strikeforce. title shots are necessary and this should hopefully get that rolling.
CwB
3/30/10 9:51:07PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

I feel like this is the only way to give some validity to the title. Think about it, what if it isn't a title bout, and rogers wins? then you've got a champion who lost his last bought to a guy coming off a loss. It discredits Overeem.

Having a fighter coming off of a loss fight for the title sure in the hell doesnt validate the belt and it discredits SF as a whole instead of just one fighter...
Caesarrrr
3/31/10 10:24:48PM

Posted by CwB

Posted by Caesarrrr

Having a fighter coming off of a loss fight for the title sure in the hell doesnt validate the belt and it discredits SF as a whole instead of just one fighter...

But you have to understand if this wasn't for the belt, and Overeem lost, you're making the title less as well as the fighter. He IS the belt right now, and he will be until he loses...but what if he loses, and he still has the belt? Imagine if brock fought a non title fight and lost, would you really think much of the champion then?
MaxOne
4/1/10 1:07:33PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

Posted by CwB

Posted by Caesarrrr

But you have to understand if this wasn't for the belt, and Overeem lost, you're making the title less as well as the fighter. He IS the belt right now, and he will be until he loses...but what if he loses, and he still has the belt? Imagine if brock fought a non title fight and lost, would you really think much of the champion then?

that's exactly right . Fedor wasn't able to take the fight or whatever...so Rogers steps in just like when BJ fought Matt because GSP couldn't. Not putting the belt on the line wouldn't make any sense.