OVEREEM UFC AT 205

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » OVEREEM UFC AT 205
1daveufc
2/13/09 11:41:35AM
All the talk over alister Overeem coming to the ufc does anyone think he cud come in and go in to the lhw division?After all chuck fought him in pride in the middleweight tornement they held when he was ment to fight wandy but it never happend because he lost to Rampage.Any thoughts?
Bowen50
2/13/09 11:47:30AM
have you seen Overeem lately the guy is HUGE. if he comes to the UFC there is no way he's going to fight at 205. not only can he not make it but the HW division needs some more talent.
Aaronno9
2/13/09 12:08:36PM
At 205 he could barely manage to go a round without gassing. He looks like he could be a monster at HW and doesnt look like hes got problems with his cardio anymore. If he cut back down now it would be foolish becouse hed have an even bigger cut to make than before.
DosBox
2/13/09 1:06:05PM
Overeem always had the frame to put on some muscle, and has had cardio issues while at 205. At the Dream 6 weigh ins (September, 2008) Overeem weighed in at roughly 242 lbs. Source

The weigh-ins I found for the K-1 Dynamite show when he fought Badr Hari on New Years eve shows him around 254 lbs. Source#2

Simply put, I doubt that he can now even make 205. He looks to be comfortable to fight at this weight and has decided to commit to fighting at the HW division and not have to worry about dieting.
gsquat
2/13/09 1:19:29PM
Overeem will be handled no matter what divison he's in. He won't be able to deal with the wrestling and ground game that most of these guys have. Brock would pound him into smithereens inside the first round. Overeem look great because he's not in the UFC.
Twenty20Dollars
2/13/09 1:29:26PM
Overeem would do better in HW, Lhw he would probably gas out. Also LHW is more stacked than HW.

So @ HW come in and gets some wins and you contend.
mkiv9secsupra
2/13/09 3:49:26PM
At 205 as soon as the bell for the 2nd round begins Overeem turns into nothing more than a punching bag so unless he finishes every one of his opponents in the first round I dont think there is a chance of a future for him in the top tier of the division. At HW he has shown significant improvement in every aspect of his game. I dont think he would be subbing Gonzaga or shooting in on Lesnar but he outclasses them at every other aspect other than their specialties so i think he gives every single fighter at HW trouble.
cmill21
2/13/09 4:23:54PM
6'6 254lbs, don't think he's cutting to 205 anymore.
Franklinfan47
2/13/09 5:25:24PM
I don't see why he would. He's been on a winning streak since moving up and destroying everyone. Besides, the last thing the ufc needs is another contender at 205. They need more good heavyweights!
lohmann
2/13/09 6:28:50PM

Good luck on the cut, Alistair.
Aaronno9
2/13/09 6:30:09PM
Lol, it looks like his face doubled in width through that time line.
Pookie
2/13/09 8:02:44PM

Posted by gsquat

Overeem will be handled no matter what divison he's in. He won't be able to deal with the wrestling and ground game that most of these guys have. Brock would pound him into smithereens inside the first round. Overeem look great because he's not in the UFC.

At 205 theres literally 1 top level competitor that actively uses his wrestling and ground and pound, that being rashad.

Just wanted to play devils advocate there.
cmill21
2/13/09 8:03:40PM

Posted by Aaronno9

All natural baby.
breakdown5
2/13/09 8:07:22PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Aaronno9

All natural baby.

We'll find out if/when he fights in the US. I hope he does come to UFC, stays at HW and brings some fresh top ten talent to the UFC's weakest division.
jocka
2/13/09 11:22:25PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Aaronno9

All natural baby.

Lol gotta love the sarcasm
fonduktoe
2/14/09 2:56:23AM
he still has 2 fights on his contract not to mention he wants to fight fedor
and considering affliction is willing to pay with wads of cash whether it's to their detriment or not (arlovski alone made about as much as their gate on the last ticket) it just seems a little skittish to start assuming he'll be in the ufc.
i won't bother with the 205 argument considering he'd have to cut off a limb these days to make that weight
if overeem comes to the ufc i doubt it will be in 09
slapshot
2/14/09 5:53:45AM
The UFC is still a bit shallow in the HW division and he would be able to walk over the competition I dont see very many people that would be able to beat him. He would bring some excitement to the UFC. I would love to see him fight kongo or Cain Velasquez, Instant title contender IMO.
hippysmacker
2/14/09 9:39:39AM
Ok, let me make this clear. Unless someone fails a drug test,or admits it outright, please avoid steroid accusations. Subtle or no ,its just uncool. Thanks
sparky
2/14/09 11:56:24AM
Overeem couldnt cut down to 205 anymore hes way to big of a man now. He would be a great addition to the UFC's heavyweight division, I personally think he could do damage in that division.
bls1919
2/14/09 7:01:10PM
I think there is no way he makes 205 without it being detrimental to his health. At HW he could(with his striking) be a force.
Skatanicus
2/15/09 3:10:15PM
Obviously, Overeem belongs in the UFC. He was beating Shogun in the standup last time they fought, but got taken down and KO'd. He's looked better and better since then, not to mention bigger and bigger, but still somehow very ripped. I personally would guarantee that Overeem would beat Kongo, and quite easily. I also think he would beat Velasquez, but in a somewhat close fight. Overeem was on his way to dominating Cro Cop, just like he said he would, and I know he'd do worse to Kongo. Dana's not going to recruit him though... he just doesn't operate... the way he should.