Ovechkin won't change his style

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Ovechkin won't change his style
POLL: Is OV a dirty player?
Yes 24% (5)
No 62% (13)
Not sure the next "low blow" will decide 14% (3)
postman
12/2/09 2:42:26PM
ARLINGTON, Va. -- Alex Ovechkin says he isn't going to change his playing style because of a two-game suspension.

Asked about the penalty he received from the NHL for a knee-to-knee hit, the Washington Capitals star said Wednesday it might make him "more angry."

Ovechkin was ejected after the hit on Carolina's Tim Gleason on Monday night, the second time in less than a week he has been tossed from a game.

ESPN

My question to you : Is OV a dirty player? I'm from Pittsburgh so I tend to think yes. My evidence is simply look at the last hit and rewind to the hit he put on Sergei Gonchar its the same hit. I think he tries to hurt ppl. What do you think? Keep it clean if you can't say it nice then just let the poll do your talking.
KaibaThedon
12/2/09 2:49:43PM
the last one he was trying to go shoulder to shoulder, his skates never moved he didn't charge, its just that guy was afraid of getting steam rolled so he shifted his legs and took a knee on knee hit. very dangerous
zephead
12/2/09 4:45:24PM
No, Ovy isn't a dirty player. He has one dirty hit, the slewfoot on Peaverly of the Thrashers. He plays the game of hockey the way it's meant to be played, fast and hard. He doesn't shy away from contact, he intiates it. Superstars aren't suppose to be like that. Malkin has more dirty hits then Ovy. How many slewfoots has Malkin given out in his career? How about Malkin slamming Semins head into the glass? How about Kunitz crosschecking Varly in the throat? How about Matt Cooke? Talk about a cheapshot artist. He delivered cheapshots when he played with the Canucks, then when the Caps (Yes, I'm a Caps fan, been a season ticket holder for year) signed him I hated it. I was very happry they didn't resign him.

How about Orpik slashing Semin in Game 1 last year that broke Semins hand? How about Cooke's knee on knee in the Hurricane series? Rewatch the hit on Gonchar, watch Gonch move out of the way at the last second. That is what causes the knee on knee. What was Ovy suppose to do?? Jump?? Watch the hit against the Sabres, at the last second, dude turns his back, nothing Ovy could do. Plus the hit was shoulder on shoulder.

Ovy is physical. He is big and plays with a edge. My favorite Cap of all time was Dale Hunter, Dale was dirty put he'd answer the bell when he had to. The Pens had one of the dirtiest players of all time In Ulf Sammuelsson, but Pens fans loved him because he was one their own. My favortie moment was when Dale broke Ulfie's jaw in a fight. Pens fans love Matt Cooke, and he is a cheapshot artist, but he's one of your own. Kunitz doles out the cheapshots, put because he's a Pen, he's loved. They're are only dirty when they play for someone else.
postman
12/2/09 5:01:18PM

Posted by zephead

No, Ovy isn't a dirty player. He has one dirty hit, the slewfoot on Peaverly of the Thrashers. He plays the game of hockey the way it's meant to be played, fast and hard. He doesn't shy away from contact, he intiates it. Superstars aren't suppose to be like that. Malkin has more dirty hits then Ovy. How many slewfoots has Malkin given out in his career? How about Malkin slamming Semins head into the glass? How about Kunitz crosschecking Varly in the throat? How about Matt Cooke? Talk about a cheapshot artist. He delivered cheapshots when he played with the Canucks, then when the Caps (Yes, I'm a Caps fan, been a season ticket holder for year) signed him I hated it. I was very happry they didn't resign him.

How about Orpik slashing Semin in Game 1 last year that broke Semins hand? How about Cooke's knee on knee in the Hurricane series? Rewatch the hit on Gonchar, watch Gonch move out of the way at the last second. That is what causes the knee on knee. What was Ovy suppose to do?? Jump?? Watch the hit against the Sabres, at the last second, dude turns his back, nothing Ovy could do. Plus the hit was shoulder on shoulder.

Ovy is physical. He is big and plays with a edge. My favorite Cap of all time was Dale Hunter, Dale was dirty put he'd answer the bell when he had to. The Pens had one of the dirtiest players of all time In Ulf Sammuelsson, but Pens fans loved him because he was one their own. My favortie moment was when Dale broke Ulfie's jaw in a fight. Pens fans love Matt Cooke, and he is a cheapshot artist, but he's one of your own. Kunitz doles out the cheapshots, put because he's a Pen, he's loved. They're are only dirty when they play for someone else.

To be honest Its a brutal game that I know very little about the ins and outs of the game so I have no argument to any of your points. I just like to bust DC Rage's balls when it comes to the Caps and he didn't fall for it this time.

I used to watch when I was a kid in the early 90's but lost intrest when Mario retired. But once there was talk of the Pens leaving town I decided that the more support they had the better chance they had to stay. That and now that we have HD you can actually watch the game on TV have brought me to love the game. Who am I to judge we have "The dirtiest player in Football" Hines Ward.
crushedbacon
12/4/09 4:39:14PM
OV isn't dirty....he's just reckless. As he matures he will realize thta he needs to pick his spots. He cant just go barreling into guys like he does the glass when he scores.
I'm thinking you Pens and Caps fans should channel your hate towards the real dirtball of the league.....Pronger in Philly. I know its his first year out east since the the Whaler days LOL, but he is wicked with that stick and he's mean, so I think you cats should have a new common enemy
zephead
12/5/09 9:09:22AM
I know Pronger is a dirtball. What kills me with Pens fans, they have Matt Cooke you is a complete tool. Knee on knees. Did in the playoffs last year against Carolina and did it about 2 weeks ago. Nothing happen. They say nothing about it. If you watched the playoffs last year, Cooke and Kuntiz were cheapshotting all over the ice. It's all good to them. But when it comes to Ovy, they go crazy.

I know the NHL isn't use to having a superstar who is as physical as Ovy is. Ovy is big, fast and strong. He takes as much as he gives. He doesn't complain when he gets hit. He just hits back. He loves the physical game.

I would love him to pick is spots better. To let the hits come to him and not just use is body like its a car. But, it's his game. His style. He said that the player he looked up to the most was Owen Nolan, that says it all.
Rush
12/5/09 9:38:28AM
Just a comment about playing styles, there's a limit as to how much a body can take. A lot of these checking forwards that play on 3rd or 4th lines don't log in as many min. a game as someone like Ovechkin. I predict he will only be able to be so physical (cheap or not) for a certian amount of time before the physical abuse catches up to him, where he'll have to decide if he wants log in the long min. or shorter play time for more physical play.
cmill21
12/5/09 5:59:17PM
Ovy goes, he is going to eventully end up breaking down, but until then he'll play like he does. I love watching him play and no he's not dirty. He was just trying to get a piece on that hit and it ended up badly but hey, hockey's not a pitter pat game.
The_Metal_Maniac
12/7/09 10:16:54AM
YES, and it looks like the NHL has finally realized it as well.
zephead
12/7/09 7:03:03PM
It's funny that it's only Pens fans who thinks he's dirty
The_Metal_Maniac
12/7/09 8:30:20PM

Posted by zephead

Odd coincidence. However the NHL thinks he is too, thus the suspension. With his reckless dirty play, I only have to put up with him for a short while longer. As I am sure his career will be short due to that sort of play. Possibly another player will just conveniently extend their knee when they go for some "hard play" as he does. One time is an accident ( Gonchar in the playoffs), more than once you're dirty. Hey everyone loves dirty goal scorers.
zephead
12/8/09 4:19:58PM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Posted by zephead

Odd coincidence. However the NHL thinks he is too, thus the suspension. With his reckless dirty play, I only have to put up with him for a short while longer. As I am sure his career will be short due to that sort of play. Possibly another player will just conveniently extend their knee when they go for some "hard play" as he does. One time is an accident ( Gonchar in the playoffs), more than once you're dirty. Hey everyone loves dirty goal scorers.

Just like you guys love Cooke and Kuntiz. Hey, everybody loves non-goal scoring dirtyy players. Oh yea, lets not forget your nutpunching, faceoff jumping caprtain and his slewfooting sidekick
The_Metal_Maniac
12/8/09 4:50:59PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by zephead

Just like you guys love Cooke and Kuntiz. Hey, everybody loves non-goal scoring dirtyy players. Oh yea, lets not forget your nutpunching, faceoff jumping caprtain and his slewfooting sidekick

You're right they help us beat the Caps in a seven game series on route to a Stanley Cup championship. What's not to love about them.
zephead
12/9/09 3:07:08PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by zephead

You're right they help us beat the Caps in a seven game series on route to a Stanley Cup championship. What's not to love about them.

Yep, double standards. we will hold your guy accountible but not our own.
Hendo67
12/16/09 3:33:56PM
I love Ovechkin as much as the next guy and there's no way you should/people should tell a 60+ goal scorer to change his style. What i don't like though, is people calling his style wreckless? To me wreckless is just a term used for Ovechkin, who else is called wreckless? and what's the difference between wreckless and dirty?... I'm not going out and calling Ovechkin dirty, however i question some of his hits, and his intentions.

Rush
12/31/09 11:20:26AM
I think dirty is a reference to how he plays and the rules of the game. i.e. being malicious. Reckless is a reference to how he plays, his own safety and the safety of other players, but not necessarily malicious in terms of breaking rules.