Oscar De La Hoya announces his retirement...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Oscar De La Hoya announces his retirement...
emfleek
4/14/09 3:33:11PM

LOS ANGELES -- Oscar De La Hoya announced his retirement from boxing on Tuesday, four months after his final bout ended in a one-sided loss to Manny Pacquiao.

LINK
Shawn91111
4/14/09 6:53:53PM
Oscar was my second fav fighter behind Roy Jones Jr. He will be missed for sure.
Jackelope
4/14/09 8:41:19PM
Glad to see him finally go through with it. He already tarnished his legend amongst his mexican fans. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Personally, I feel like Oscar has been the driving force behind boxing for the last 5 years now. I am so glad he's got his hands in promoting because the sport needs someone who cares like him. I will miss watching him fight, though
SpiderSilva
4/14/09 9:34:15PM
after watching the HBO 24/7 for Hatton vs Paciao I want to watch it even more after finding out Mayweather Sr. is training Hatton
Wolfenstein
4/14/09 9:45:59PM
I don't believe this is his final retirement, just because it's too difficult to walk away from the paydays he can still consistently make.
NatedawgThaM
4/14/09 10:56:22PM
definitely bad for boxing since he's the biggest money maker EVER! But it probably is best for him though. Real sad but he just don't have it in him anymore.
DCRage
4/15/09 8:08:14AM
He'll be back. Still too much of a draw in terms of money and filling arenas, and he's still the biggest Hispanic/Latino name in boxing. He's to the Spanish-speaking and Mexican fans what Pacquiao is to the Filipinos-a hero.
Jackelope
4/15/09 9:15:18AM

Posted by DCRage

He'll be back. Still too much of a draw in terms of money and filling arenas, and he's still the biggest Hispanic/Latino name in boxing. He's to the Spanish-speaking and Mexican fans what Pacquiao is to the Filipinos-a hero.

I don't know about that anymore. I live around and work with/train with a lot of hispanics who are huge boxing fans. Most of them resent Oscar's recent exploits greatly. Many of them (and by that I mean nearly all of them) openly express disdain
Red-Dragon
4/15/09 2:24:52PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by DCRage

I don't know about that anymore. I live around and work with/train with a lot of hispanics who are huge boxing fans. Most of them resent Oscar's recent exploits greatly. Many of them (and by that I mean nearly all of them) openly express disdain

Agreed. Oscar never really reached true star status in Mexico, as he comes from a wealthy family and doesn't follow the poor boy done good story they all love.
cowcatcher
4/15/09 2:28:23PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Agreed. Oscar never really reached true star status in Mexico, as he comes from a wealthy family and doesn't follow the poor boy done good story they all love.

oscar definitely reached star status in mexico, its just that recently(the past 4 years or so) his latino fan base has moved on as he retired and came back and dressing in drag didnt help either. at one time thought he was the biggest sports hero in mexico and filled the void left by julio cesar chavez.
hippysmacker
4/15/09 6:45:40PM
He fought everyone and never backed down from a challenge , so he will always have my respect.Got screwde in the Trinidad fight IMO too.
Aaronno9
4/15/09 6:53:40PM
Lame. Thats my two favourite boxers retired this year. Hardly comes as a suprise though, Oscar was handled by Manny. Id hate to have to watch another match like that.
MMAcca
4/17/09 5:47:36PM
Nice to see him go now and not in a few years time when he's truely past it.