Ortiz ranked at number 8 discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Ortiz ranked at number 8 discussion
FBD
3/12/07 11:32:55PM
Alright, I know he lost to Liddell, and his only big wins in the past year are Slamcock twice, and he had a lackluster 2nd and 3rd round against forrest, But do you really think he should be ranked behind Lil Nog at LHW? IMO Hendo should be ahead of Silva, and I think ortiz could even take Hendo. I know Hendo is a better wrestler in terms of credential's , but i dont see him being able to over power and out grapple Tito like Randy did.

Tito has alot better take down defense than Silva, and IMO could stand with Henderson, and after Lil Nog just got ktfo by virtually a no name and not really being that over powering of a fighter, I dont think tito would have a problem with him.

And I even think TIto could take Silva again and possible GnP Arona. Maybe im just nut hugging, but I think Tito could take out all of the LHW over at pride w/ the exception of Shogun. But I guess well never know. Thoughts?
Stickan
3/12/07 11:41:37PM
Ranking is really a matter of how you see it. It's easier if you just go on comparing records and what the fighters actually have accomplished rather than what most people (including myself sometimes) do: start guessing and assuming stuff and rather go by someones potential than by his credentials.

I think ranking should be determined by credentials only and people with potential I guess have to use that to gain enough credentials to be considered top fighters.

Ortiz hasn'tbeaten anyone noteworthy lately as you said and therefore shouldn't be above #8.
Ydoc
3/13/07 12:16:45AM

Posted by Stickan
Ortiz hasn'tbeaten anyone noteworthy lately as you said and therefore shouldn't be above #8.

Agreed. I'd even take it a step further, Tito is lucky to be 8th. What has he done in 2 years? He beat a TUF winner, a mentally beat Victor and Shamrock twice. I have Jardine ahead of him because he finished Forrest. He trains to win he just doesn't have that extra something so many others have. I think he'll find much more success as a coach like Guy did.
MMA
3/13/07 1:01:44AM
In Ortiz's defence, he had a torn ACL in the Griffin fight. He destroyed Griffin in the 1st round but I guess his injury (may have) effected him in the later rounds in taking Griffin down.

I seriously thought the fight was going to be stopped during that 1st round, but Forrest is a tough SOB. I was disappointed in his actions after his loss to Jardine though ...
Northrend
3/13/07 1:06:34AM
Well I think Hendo would knock Tito out just like with Wandy.
Him vs Arona I see Arona taking UD
Him vs Little Nog I see KO by nog or UD as well.

Tito is a good fighter though, preety high # in LHW of UFC IMO.
hathcock32
3/13/07 2:16:49AM
I agree. I would even say that Tito could take could take anyone at 205 except for Chuck....IMO.
loller90278
3/13/07 2:33:09AM

And I even think TIto could take Silva again and possible GnP Arona. Maybe im just nut hugging, but I think Tito could take out all of the LHW over at pride w/ the exception of Shogun. But I guess well never know. Thoughts?

i think you are nuthugging. imo, tito cant beat anyone in top 10 lhw's
Gladiator
3/13/07 11:32:53AM

Posted by Stickan

Ranking is really a matter of how you see it. It's easier if you just go on comparing records and what the fighters actually have accomplished rather than what most people (including myself sometimes) do: start guessing and assuming stuff and rather go by someones potential than by his credentials.

I think ranking should be determined by credentials only and people with potential I guess have to use that to gain enough credentials to be considered top fighters.

i agree 100%. A fighter should be ranked by what they have accomplished not what we assume they could accomplish. like joe riggs, hes been the favorite in most of his ufc fights but has only won half of them, he was on the top ten welterweight and middleweight lists for awhile on some sites but it turns out that he has a lot of work before he can live up to his potential. i would like to one of my favorite fighters, rich franklin, higher but facts are he has had only two successful title defenses and got beat in a dominate fashion. tito is a grat fighter but his five fights before chuck werent all that impressive in my opinion. if he beats rashad than i think that will say more than beating ken twice and TUF forrest griffin, but until then hes 8.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
3/13/07 2:48:29PM
I don't have tito top 10. That fight with cote was very lackluster. How does a "huge" lhw not finish a 185'er with a 1-4 ufc record?
Junior24
3/13/07 3:36:03PM
Tito hasnt beat anybody in the current Top 10 and my mind the last impressive win he has produced was against Ken Shamrock (1st). Everyobdy who follows MMA at all, knows Tito has tremendous amount of potential. He needs to take a long look at his current "disciplines" and his game plans against fighters. I think he needs to join another gym and surround himself around better MMA fighters. I think the fighters he "grew" up with (i.e. Chuck) have surpassed his skills. Until he beats someone formidable in decisive fassion, I think he should be removed from the Top 10 list.
waylon_o
3/13/07 3:38:27PM

Posted by hathcock32

I agree. I would even say that Tito could take could take anyone at 205 except for Chuck....IMO.

What about Rampage?
BloodandTears
3/13/07 4:14:03PM

Posted by hathcock32

I think he deserves to be in 8 or better for sure. But you know people love to hate him. Ant thread with Tito's name in it is bound to get some response
BloodandTears
3/13/07 4:16:13PM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by hathcock32

What about Rampage?

Thats a dam good thought there. I think thats actually my next dream fight.
waylon_o
3/13/07 4:20:37PM

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by hathcock32

What about Rampage?

Rampage by KO rd. 2
Junior24
3/13/07 5:21:24PM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by hathcock32

What about Rampage?

Rampage by KO rd. 2

Wont happen. They have both said they wont fight each beacuase they are friends. Which perplexes me why Tito doesnt train w/Rampage. Tito could learn a hell of a lot from Rampage. They probably should start a fight time together.
mkiv9secsupra
3/13/07 5:58:21PM

Posted by Junior24

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by hathcock32

What about Rampage?

Rampage by KO rd. 2

Wont happen. They have both said they wont fight each beacuase they are friends. Which perplexes me why Tito doesnt train w/Rampage. Tito could learn a hell of a lot from Rampage. They probably should start a fight time together.

wow....didnt tito say that about chuck too?.....hmmm.....sounds like a great ppv...

anyways tito will start his run back up to #1 contender with a third round TKO when he beats evans
jaba
3/18/07 2:30:33AM

Posted by FBD

Alright, I know he lost to Liddell, and his only big wins in the past year are Slamcock twice, and he had a lackluster 2nd and 3rd round against forrest, But do you really think he should be ranked behind Lil Nog at LHW? IMO Hendo should be ahead of Silva, and I think ortiz could even take Hendo. I know Hendo is a better wrestler in terms of credential's , but i dont see him being able to over power and out grapple Tito like Randy did.

Tito has alot better take down defense than Silva, and IMO could stand with Henderson, and after Lil Nog just got ktfo by virtually a no name and not really being that over powering of a fighter, I dont think tito would have a problem with him.

u are wrong, tito would get worked by all da lhw in pride and probably most of the MW too. Wand is three times the fighter he was when he fought tito and tito hasnt relly gotn much better, and as for your comment about Sokoudjou, he may be a no name now but hed work any1 in the UFC (aside from CC) and will be a top ten contender in the future. Tito got outboxed by Forrest Griffin, and many think forrest should won dat fight, tito is not that good.
loller90278
3/18/07 3:08:46AM

Posted by jaba

Posted by FBD

u are an idiot, tito would get worked by all da lhw in pride and probably most of the MW too. Wand is three times the fighter he was when he fought tito and tito hasnt relly gotn much better, and as for your comment about Sokoudjou, he may be a no name now but hed work any1 in the UFC (aside from CC) and will be a top ten contender in the future. Tito got outboxed by Forrest Griffin, and many think forrest should won dat fight, tito is not that good.

hmm even tho i am a pride nuthugger your points are invalid. we havnt seen soko's skill too much (just that lightning ko against lil nog) so judging who he can beat would be hard (after seeing him lose to that guy... dexter or theirry or something whack like that ). also why would soko fight cc? cc is a heavyweight whhile soko and lil nog and tito are light heavy weights. say what you want about tito/griffen but tito won that fight.
ryderstrong69
3/24/07 9:16:54AM
tito will fall off the top ten soon
skiba97
3/24/07 10:43:32AM

Posted by jaba

Posted by FBD

u are wrong, tito would get worked by all da lhw in pride and probably most of the MW too. Wand is three times the fighter he was when he fought tito and tito hasnt relly gotn much better, and as for your comment about Sokoudjou, he may be a no name now but hed work any1 in the UFC (aside from CC) and will be a top ten contender in the future. Tito got outboxed by Forrest Griffin, and many think forrest should won dat fight, tito is not that good.

I think youd be better suited to a forum soley for pride fans, not an overall mma one.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/24/07 1:07:51PM
Tito is ranked 8 because he's talented. Look at Kid Yamamato. He hasnt beaten any top 10's but he is still ranked high. I think the fight with Rashad will either clinch his top 10 spot or drop him down
ManBeast
3/25/07 9:18:32AM
eh he kinda deserves to be in the top lhw, like near the bottom at least. he's better than most of the ufc's lhw ( which is stacked with TUF contestants) and a few of pride's lhws ( skill wise, because if he fought in pride ring rules no elbows= no ortiz) I rank him pretty low mostly because I straight up don't like the guy but until he losses to Rashad or whoever I suppose 8 is a pretty fair number for him.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/25/07 12:03:05PM
i agree with TC........i rank them by who i think has the style to win more fights...just because a fighter is ranked lower doesnt mean that fighter cant beat a higher ranked one..(Rampage/Chuck for example..)

1)Chuck
2)Tito.............his only recent losses has been to a stronger wrestler(R.C.),and "The Chuck Liddell"
3)Shogun......has he fought a Chuck Liddell?...has he fought a R.C?.....
4)Rampage
5)Hendo

Again..thats just my opinion,just like the person who wrote the top 10 in that MMAWeekly.com rankings....

Jeffanori-Gomi
3/25/07 3:03:16PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Again..thats just my opinion,just like the person who wrote the top 10 in that MMAWeekly.com rankings....

Actually the people who do the rankings at mmaweekly, used to be the fighters,( about 7 months ago) and then it switched over to the mmaweekly staff. They vote.

Its not just one guy, if thats what you meant
chentay2112
3/25/07 3:22:39PM
IMO tito is lucky to be in the top 10 apart from taking apart shamrock i dont think tito has done anything to deserve a top 10 ranking in the last 2 years... he doesent look like the same dynamic fighter that ruled the LHW division and i think he needs to rethink his game plan if you can stop his takedowns (ala chuck liddell) he has no other offense