30 opponents for Gegard Mousasi

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » 30 opponents for Gegard Mousasi
POLL: Will Mousasi run through all of the listed opponents in the next three years?
Most of them (90%-100%) 46% (18)
A Majority (60%-80%) 18% (7)
About Half (40-50%) 3% (1)
Less Than Half (20-30%) 18% (7)
Barely Any (10% or less) 10% (4)
None 5% (2)
MMA-San
8/20/09 10:04:55PM
With Mousasi stating that he will hold off on coming to the UFC until he has perfecte dhis craft outsid eof it, giving an aprox. time limit of 3 years, it mau be hard to finf him opponents. However, depending on how often he fights (lately about 6 times a year) there are plenty of opponents waiting for him.

Possible Victims for Mousasi:

First: Soko then Minowaman/HMC

Then:
1. Ricardo Arona (The final torch for Pride)
2. Paulo Filho (didn't make weight last time, might as well just fight 205)
3. Travis Lutter (will never make 185 again)
4. Muhammed Lawal (sell's itself)
5. Seth Petruzelli (sell it as the Kimbo Killah)
6. Mike Whitehead (Nice challenge)
7. Dean Lister (Fought 205 in Pride)
8. Trevor Prangley (Good Challenge)
9. Jeremy Horn (Good Marketing Strategy)
10. Phil Davis (Aside from King Mo, Geggard's biggest Challenge)
11. Kevin Randleman (Easily Marketable)
12. Jason Lambert (name value, fun fight)
13. Marvin Eastman (name value fun fight)
14. Tim Boetsch (name value, fun fight)
15. Bobby Southworth (Former champ)
16. Mamed Khalidov (always tough, a little hard to market though)
17. Tony Lopez (always tough, a little hard to market though)
18. Emmanuel Newton (alwyas tough, a little hard to market)
19. Ryo Kawamura (Will draw in Japan)
20. Robert Jocz (Always tough, easy fight to market in Netherlands...Gegard's home town)
21. Hidehiko Yoshida (will always draw in Japan)
22. David Heath (Name value, fun fight)
23. Jake O'brien (Name value, but boring fight)
24. Travis Wiuff (Name value, but boring fight)
25. Jared Hamman (Always tough, but boring fight)
26. Jesse Forbes (Name value, but could get creamed)
27. Sanae Kikuta (Always tough, a bit hard to market...even in Japan)
28. Victor Valimacki (Easy to Market for a Hawaii card, could get creamed)
29. Aaron Rosa (Alwways tough, hard to market, may get creamed)
30. Christian MPumbu (Always tough, impossible to market)
*31: Nick Diaz (He'll do it )
Nightmare27
8/20/09 10:46:35PM
Would love to see my boy Whitehead get a shot, not to say that he'd win though. Other than that if he does fight six times a year for the next three thats only 18 so Im gonna say less than half.
telnights
8/21/09 12:56:03AM
A lot of the guys you listed are MWs or havent fought in a long time.
MMA-San
8/21/09 2:31:39AM
No, they arent. Aside from Arona which hasn't fought in a long time, Lutter and Lister...who were always LHW outside the UFC, I took the top 30 LHW fighters outside the UFC straight from FightMatrix. Which means everyone except for the above mentioned three had their last fight at LHW and fought with the last 8 months.

...oh poor Dennis Hallman...Matt Hughes is ashamed.
telnights
8/22/09 12:33:27AM

Posted by MMA-San

No, they arent. Aside from Arona which hasn't fought in a long time, Lutter and Lister...who were always LHW outside the UFC, I took the top 30 LHW fighters outside the UFC straight from FightMatrix. Which means everyone except for the above mentioned three had their last fight at LHW and fought with the last 8 months.

...oh poor Dennis Hallman...Matt Hughes is ashamed.

Yes a lot of them are MWs just because they have fought at LHW doesn't mean they are true LHWs. Guys move up in weight all the time just so they can get fights. Jeremy Horn has fought at SHW but that doesn't mean he is a SHW. Most of the guys that fight in the UFC fight at the weight class they feel they could do the best at. Now not saying that some of these guys that are MWs cant fight at LHW but most of them aren't even top 10 MW so how are they going to be top level LHWs which is a much tougher weight class. Its better said that lot of the guys listed would be much better fighting at MW than LHW. Plus name just one of the guys above other than Ricardo Arona you think could be even gate keeper level LHW fighters in the UFC. So how is any of these guy going to be a real fight for Gegard?
ravanunen
8/22/09 1:39:53AM
theres some great options out there for Mousasi. I'd love to see him fight phil david or king mo.

i SF can hold onto to their marquee fighters (mousasi, fedor, all cesar gacie or aka fighter, cung)
sclasclemski
8/22/09 11:33:42AM
I think that list just exemplifies how good of a job the UFC has done in picking up all the top talent they can in the LHW division...and MW for that matter...WW is pretty well locked up...HW is almost locked down...Lightweight is the only suspect division at this point.
mentalcase
8/24/09 3:05:06AM
i think the reason the poll is somewhat divided is cause the question is confusing

if you mean would he beat 90% of the opponents then -Yes

but if you mean will he fight 90% of the opponents then -NO

he may only fight a few of those guy on the list but would beat most of them
MMA-San
8/24/09 5:31:07PM
It doesn't matter if they are a challenge or not, or if they are better suited fighting at Middleweight. The facts are the best LHW's are in the UFC, Gegard Mousasi is not in the UFC, and that the 30 guys listed have or are willing to fight at LHW and as of now are the highest ranked opponents that Gegard can face.

Sure, it would be nice if Gegard went to the UFC. But he isn't. So we have to deal with what we got. The above list is what we got.

Personally, I think that Gegard will benefit from this. He'll only be 26 when he finally is in the UFC, and if he faces most of the guys from that list, he'll definetly be more equipped for a long lasting title run when he he does enter the octagon.

...Oh Dennis Hallman, Matt Hughes dissaproves.
hippysmacker
8/25/09 12:02:02AM
Other than Arona, Filho,and possibly Lister none of those guys are up to his level IMO. "If" showtime could make all those fights( and the already scheduled Sokoudjou fight) that still only covers about a year and half tops ,if he's healthy. None of them are currently ranked in any top 10 I've seen listed either. So I agree it's a waste of time for him to fight there.