Opponent not making weight is lose lose

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Opponent not making weight is lose lose
tommyprairie
7/3/08 7:31:02PM
It seems like BS that when someone does not make weight (Alves) then the opponent (Hughes) is put on the burner to decide to fight or not. If you fight then you are at a disadvantage of fighting out of your weight class (If you do not think 2 or 3 lbs is a big deal, it is). If you do not fight then you are looked at as a coward by fans.

I am not a hughes fan, but in the past when someone didnt make weight they ended up losing. The UFC needs to not put the pressure on fighter, and pay him for showing, fine the fighter that missed weight, and book him on the next show.

-My 2 cents
aaa9erh8er
7/3/08 7:40:45PM
100% these guys are profesinal fighters key word professionals there life id to fight if you dont take it seiously enuff to make weight you dont deserve to be in top lovel contention. when i wrystled that was unaceptable
juanez13
7/3/08 7:42:12PM
well there is compensation if a fighter agrees to fight on a catch weight, most of the time is from 11% to 13% of the other fighters Pay.......there isnt much to do after that, some things you just cant control, Alves didnt make weight because he had sprained his ankle a couple weeks before the fight, so his weight when up in those days he couldnt train, and couldnt cut all that extra weight in time....there isnt really a way to control that, so taking a bit of their money will teach them a lesson, they just cant scrap the fight because now they dont have a main event, and there would be a whole lot of people pissed off, which would hurt the company alot.....
tommyprairie
7/3/08 8:53:37PM
If he is too hurt to make weight, too hurt to fight. Sauna, Drilling, arm bike?
holt8081
7/3/08 9:17:20PM
2 to 3 lbs is a 10 minute break in ther craper. on TUF when the guy did not make weight he was sent home, why cant the same rule apply here.
holt8081
7/3/08 9:20:45PM
That story about a spraind ankle is crap anyway, you can still do some thing to lose weight. Why are these guys such big sissys and I mean in all of sports, I remember spraining my ankle a lot of times and just walking it off in a few minutes.
postman
7/3/08 10:11:04PM

Posted by tommyprairie

It seems like BS that when someone does not make weight (Alves) then the opponent (Hughes) is put on the burner to decide to fight or not. If you fight then you are at a disadvantage of fighting out of your weight class (If you do not think 2 or 3 lbs is a big deal, it is). If you do not fight then you are looked at as a coward by fans.

I am not a hughes fan, but in the past when someone didnt make weight they ended up losing. The UFC needs to not put the pressure on fighter, and pay him for showing, fine the fighter that missed weight, and book him on the next show.

-My 2 cents

Let me start off by saying i agree that guys need to make weight and that is bs when they don't. But 2 or 3 pounds is not a big deal. I train with guys 40 lbs bigger then me and school them all the time. Fedor fought Choi and there was 100 lbs diff. Every time Royce fought he was lighter then his opp.
tommyprairie
7/3/08 11:03:04PM
but the match makers try and set up guys that are even. One guys cutting weighta nd one guy eating changes things. With the resources available they try and get the matchups as lose to even as possible
Pookie
7/4/08 1:01:42AM

Posted by holt8081

That story about a spraind ankle is crap anyway, you can still do some thing to lose weight. Why are these guys such big sissys and I mean in all of sports, I remember spraining my ankle a lot of times and just walking it off in a few minutes.

you must not have sprained your ankle that bad, ive sprained it to the point that i couldnt walk on it for weeks... my ankle swollen to the size of a baseball.
king_katool
7/4/08 1:11:43AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by holt8081

you must not have sprained your ankle that bad, ive sprained it to the point that i couldnt walk on it for weeks... my ankle swollen to the size of a baseball.

i snaped my ankle in half completely just muscle holding it together, my stupid ass thought it was sprained well its friday so i go out party all weekend and sunday finally go to the hospital, i could still walk on it but i think the liqour had an affect.... and i am now the proud owner of 9 inch metal and 7 screws in my ankle
EON
7/4/08 1:36:53AM
This whole weight issue is blown way out of proportion. I'm not upset at what Dana's doing its only another fight that would improve his legitimacy and get more exposure. Thiago is going to knock Diego out anyway, this is an easy pick for me tbh, look at their common opponent in Karo, this is win win for me because then he'll get the winner of GSP/Fitch. (Then again if Thiago loses then it was the right decision on Dana's part then)
Pitbull09
7/4/08 2:04:51AM
Idk why ppl won;t let this go. Do you hate Alves or are major Hughes nut huggers? Even if you argue 2-3 lbs is a big difference, your forgetting that the fighters have a whole day to gain more weight back so don;t act like that had anything to contribute to Hughes loss. Second, don't challenge Alves as not being professional. He won 7 straight in that division now and doesn't need idiots to flame him for not lossing 2-3lbs before a fight (injury or not).

I am not saying that weigh ins shouldnt be taken seriously but this particular situation is stupid to talk about. Title fights are strict to the rules so to me, thats what matters most.