My Opinions on The UFC Cutting Fighters

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » My Opinions on The UFC Cutting Fighters
hotrodttt
11/20/08 12:29:35AM
So I was a little outraged when I heard Werdum was cut, and then followed Marcus Aurelio, and then Fricken Jon Fitch ! So Top Fighters get let loosed but Mr. Grugel (not taking anything away from him) gets to stay along with guys like Burkman who just aren't consistant in their Wins. If anybody has anything to say just drop by and reply and I'll have a refined debate with you or if you agree then state how you feel on the situation
haggiswashere
11/20/08 12:56:01AM
i completely agree. There are also rumors of them cutting filho, velasques, koscheck, and swick. and the people you stated, werdum, fitch, and aurelio. all of those names minus aurilio can be argued as a top ten in there divisions. they are complete and total idiots. can you imagine if Affliction picks them up? that could save them easily.
seanfu
11/20/08 1:02:50AM
Dude! I'll be pissed beyond words if they lost Fitch. I'd expect that he left to go get a different title but if they actually cut him...

Aurelio's really talented, but he is 36 I think.

And Gurgel fights like a retard. Seriously the guy's fairly talented but if he can't deliver he can't deliver. Simple.

I won't beleive that they cut those guys though until I see it.
cmill21
11/20/08 1:04:44AM
I'm pissed off, the UFC is sucking right now. I don't think i'll buy another PPV, it will all be internet feeds. I can't support them when they treat guys like slaves.

EDIT: Seanfu they rarley say they have cut someone, they just like to let people forget about them and not give fighters any more publicity when they're gone.
Rush
11/20/08 7:43:32AM
I've been saying it for a long time now. The UFC is not the place for the best fighters in the world. It's the place for the best fighters in the world that make Dana (Zuffa) the most money. As much as Dana likes a lot of these guys, I really believe all his "bending over backwards for these guys" is strongly motivated by how much money and exposure they can get for the company.

When I read about the situation it sounds like the deal is that Zuffa has the rights to these guys likenesses, therefore they make money when the likeness is used, not the fighter. At least that's the way I read into it. I don't see why any fighter would have a problem if they got paid for their likeness. Mark Hammil still gets cheques in the mail every time Hasbro makes a Luke Skywalker figure.
StevenSeagal
11/20/08 9:11:13AM
wow I didnt know about Fitch... Is this just rumor or what? I guess we'll have to wait for an interview with him to see what the deal is.
emfleek
11/20/08 9:14:47AM
I'm a self-admitted UFC nuthugger. Well, today I'm only holding on to those nuts by one hand.

Whatever promotion Fitch goes to just gained a fan.
juanez13
11/20/08 9:17:41AM

Posted by StevenSeagal

wow I didnt know about Fitch... Is this just rumor or what? I guess we'll have to wait for an interview with him to see what the deal is.

supposedly they cut him because he didnt want to sign a contract that would give the UFC exclusive lifetime video game rights to his name and likeness.

Like I said before, Dana needs to let go of the "its my way or the highway"....he brought the UFC to where they are right now, but he may very well be the one to bring it down to the ground.

Once the big sport agents start getting into the sport, and even something like a Union forms, Dana's ego will hurt the UFC Bad.
Franklinfan47
11/20/08 10:16:15AM
Its unfortunate when good fighters get released due to money. In this case, top ten fighters are getting let go which is really unfortunate. Werdum didn't resign because he didnt like the deal he was getting as far as I know, which is understandable I guess. In my opinion, if Werdum isn't a top hw contender, he's just gonna have to suck it up and take what they give him (which I'm sure was reasonable). Aurelio wasn't really going anywhere in the lw division, his loss to hermes showed that. However, he still was a fan favorite and I think we let go too hastily. They should have sent him down to the WEC atleast. I felt the same way when they released Din Thomas. In regards to Fitch and his teamates like Wellisch and possibly Swick, Velasquez, and koschek in the future, i can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, the ufc wants co-operation in this video game/merchandise business because they feel some sort of entitlement for bringing these guys up in the ranks and making them stars. On the other hand, the AKA crew doesnt want to sell their Video game and likeness rights to the ufc for life in case they pursue other projects later on. Like I said, it was just an unfortunate circumstance. Hopefully they can work something out, losing Fitch would be a huge blow to the ufc ww division.
theguido
11/20/08 10:22:07AM

Posted by haggiswashere

i completely agree. There are also rumors of them cutting filho, velasques, koscheck, and swick. and the people you stated, werdum, fitch, and aurelio. all of those names minus aurilio can be argued as a top ten in there divisions. they are complete and total idiots. can you imagine if Affliction picks them up? that could save them easily.

They did cut Filho but that was because of his last showing and past problems and questions on his mental state. As for the others it's a total sham that they got cut because they wouldn't lay down and let the UFC take advantage of them.
theguido
11/20/08 10:30:43AM
Christian Wellisch, was also let go yesterday. Another top HW IMO who got the shaft because of Dana's EGO.
mkiv9secsupra
11/20/08 10:43:56AM

Posted by cmill21

I'm pissed off, the UFC is sucking right now. I don't think i'll buy another PPV, it will all be internet feeds. I can't support them when they treat guys like slaves.

Im with you. Thats 500$ less a year from me they are going to get! Idiots. Im beginning to feel like Dana couldnt give one shit for the sport. It was just a nice opportunity for Dana to make a buck.
gartface
11/20/08 10:48:08AM

Posted by theguido

Christian Wellisch, was also let go yesterday. Another top HW IMO who got the shaft because of Dana's EGO.

Top heavyweight is a big stretch.
GrizzlyChadams
11/20/08 10:54:12AM
If they loose Koscheck and Swick as well, it would but quite a blow to the UFC. I'm kind of in shock about all of this.
gartface
11/20/08 10:57:05AM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

If they loose Koscheck and Swick as well, it would but quite a blow to the UFC. I'm kind of in shock about all of this.

Swick already signed. Which makes me wonder why he can have he smarts to negotiate in person and the other AKA guys have to speak through their agents.
GrizzlyChadams
11/20/08 11:03:42AM
I definitely think there is more to the story than just Dana and the UFC being selfish. The fact that Fitch has yet to even speak to Dana but Swick called him up immediately to make sure he was still in the UFC shows me theres alot more going on here.
DCRage
11/20/08 11:10:52AM
Kracker_Jap
11/20/08 11:13:37AM
Well I guess when some of you guys won't be watching the UFC any more

When you start your own Fight Promotion you can give people the world..

It F-ing amazes me that know one really has an idea how the negotiations went down, they are all just pissed John got cut.....

This reminds me of how every one was pissed about Randy's pay and then Zuffa opened there records and proved that Randy was lying and *poof* the issue went away but Dana and Zuffa remained evil

I'm not saying I'm OK with this or not mad,
cuz I am, but I am going to let the story unfold until I start pointing fingers
DCRage
11/20/08 11:17:07AM
Please continue in the linked thread. Thanks.

Closed. (If this stupid work PC will let me...)