In your opinion, Has the Ultimate Fighter TV caused growth in your liking for MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » In your opinion, Has the Ultimate Fighter TV caused growth in your liking for MMA?
Reignofterror
1/30/07 6:35:35PM
Since season 1 of the Ultimate Fighter reality TV series playing on spike the UFC has indeed prospered gaining both a broad group to market themselves upon and has also made massive gains in terms of the number of fighters that fight under their organization. However, we the viewers often find ourselves complaining about their being too many "TUFers" on a fight card, and these "TUFers" as undeserving as some MMA fans have made them sound have even fought on main event title fights (Kenny Florian). The TV show has produced some tremendous talent when you consider fighters such as Diego Sanchez, and Joe Stevenson who have damn well proven that they belong in the UFC with wins over some of the UFC's top fighters.

The reality show has also brought in many casuals fans *sighs* has caused growth in the sport of mixed martial arts as a whole, and has also caused many of the fighters to become well known celebrities for reasons some of us still wonder why. As the reality TV show brings more and more fighters into their organization it makes it easier to market these fighters to the public since they are easily familiar with personalities they have come to recognize from the show. Does this prove disadvantageous to fighters who had to build their way up from fighting in undercard pay-per-view bouts that weren't even broadcasted? In my opinion definetly!

So with the mass amounts of new fighters added to the UFC in the past two years from the TV show has it increased your liking of the organization, or does it seem to fall under the word....gimmick?

Thoughts?
nate22
1/30/07 6:52:03PM
No not at all. If I had got into the sport in 2006 instead of a number of years before then I'm pretty sure I would argue differently. No disrespect to the TUF fighters, many have really impressed and some I am now a genuine fan of.

There are so many fighters around who we know have better records, credentials and stature who should be challenging or signed in place of those catapulted by TUF. It's not the same sort of catapult as winning the belt in KOTC for example or so on, it's more of a gifthorse in my opinion. This is annoying in a way as there's fighters who I feel have missed out on oppurtunites, pushed back in line or out of line, so I know alot of fans are resentful about that.

On the other hand these TUF fighters are not exactly bums out of nowhere. Alot are on the show for a reason, yes there has been a few complete WTF's but still, overall the quality has not been too disappointing in any of the seasons.

The growth however has created alot more long term opputunities for the sport, younger fighters as a whole. It really, really has, look at what has spawned really in the light of the shows and the influx of new fans to help support the new organisations. A couple of years ago MMA was basically kept alive by the underground support, this was apparent when I first became a fan but now it has witnessed the growth to help sustain it's existence for years to come.

I feel in a way this may have sacrificed a few years and oppurtunities to some of the existing fighters, it's hard to deny there has been a number of guys who have been put out of the picture due to the influx of TUF guys on the scene. However at the same time they have allowed for UFN and the rest of the growth that's seeing so many more events a year, deeper cards and stacked divsions with many guys with top ten potential.

The UFC have done an amazing job in terms of helping the sport grow and make alot of money for themselves at the process. At the same time they have created a brilliant MMA organisation and we have not even began to reap the benefits of their recent acquistions and business orientation, it's a good year ahead.

I get to see UFC in Manchester and there's one this weekend and there was one last. It's all good :)
nate22
1/30/07 6:52:55PM
I've not read that back through, so sorry if it doesn't all make greatest sense.
Playground_Samurai
1/30/07 6:54:37PM
I don't have a problem with the show or with most of the fighters from the show continuing to fight on the cards. Notice I used the word most, because there are one or two that I have no clue how they even get the chance. However, as you said, there are the fighters such as Diego Sanchez and Joe Stevenson that definatly deserve to be where they now are. Even though they probably would have made it there without the TUF show, it made them more recognizable to the audience and it helped propel them quicker to where they much more deserve to be. I also have no problem with Kenny Florian fighting in general, or fighting in the main event. I believe he is an exciting fighter, and actually made the fight with sherk very exciting. He has a very extensive background in mma with a boat load of accomplishments. So he has worked just as hard as the Sanchez's and Stevenson's of the TUF show and is deserving of being where he is.
Overall, the TUF series has caused a growth to my liking for MMA.
BloodandTears
1/30/07 7:02:38PM
Ultimate fighter has made me follow some fighters more than I normally would have, I think thats true for most people but it has not made me like UFC or MMA iin general any better. My pasion for mma started when the UFC first came around, Pride added to it and showed me a new spectrum of fighters.
thelastking
1/30/07 7:05:04PM
It has not made me like MMA less or more but i think that it has helped make MMA mainstream but i personally do not watch the show i dont find it that interesting but some of the fighters from the show have proved themselves to be contenders
hippysmacker
1/30/07 7:42:24PM
I watched the first few UFC's on pay-per view, and thought it was boring. Over the years I had rented a lot of the Tapes or DVD's at the videostore, but still wasn't a die hard. The Chuck/Tito 1 got me back into it (PPV wise), but I still wasn't a die hard. TUF 1 actually got me more focused on it and the Griffin/Bonnar fight sold me and a lot of my close friends. Since then, I have bought every DVD UFC/Pride I could get my hands on. Also, I have between 15-20 people at my house every pay-per-veiw and spread the word as much as I can. Some of the people who used to come now have their own UFC parties.However, no matter how many people I get into MMA I've never had more than 10 people at my house for a Pride PPV. It used to be just 4 so that's a start. There will always be some old school, underground, want to keep it just for themselves elitist. It's the same thing with bands. I remember growing up listening to Metallica(was greatest band ever IMO) then when they made the black album and went from 2 miliion copies to 20 million a lot of my freinds got mad and said they sold out because they weren't just theri band anymore. I admit metallica sucks compared to themselves of the past since the LOAD album, and they did change then, but hte black album is still Metallica worthy IMO. Still, compared to other bands they are still really good. Sometimes though a band doesn 't change or sell out , but a lot of people don't like that it's not their own special thing that they can Lord their knowledge over other people with. I think that is the case sometimes with old school MMA fans.. The guy who got all of us into it and let us borrow a bunch of tapes isn't around anymore(off at school) and in the beginning he would laugh when we thought Arlovski was unbeatable( he only had 2 pride tapes and had only seen 4), After seeing a lot more we understood why, and it's funny looking back. now that I own over 20 Pride DVD's and he doesn't even order the PPV's he still occasionally plays the " I was here before you card" . It's funny because we are always telling him to look up some fighter, but there it is. To this day I beleive I would just be another casual fan, and MMA would still be in the dark ages without TUF. So yes I'm glad for it, and it always makes me sensitive to the plight of the new MMA fan so I'm always having people over showing them DVD's and lending them in some cases. My roommate is like an MMA evangelist, he just walks up to random people and ask if they are gonna be watching the fight this weekend and the sales pitch is on. He even invites people he meets at the gym out of the blue. It's hysterical to watch him go from "do you need a spot" to a 20 minute diatribe salespitch on the glories of MMA. All because of TUF, so yes I'm very grateful what it has done.
Reignofterror
1/30/07 9:27:49PM
I'd be lucky to get 2 people for a UFC or Pride event.
loller90278
1/30/07 10:50:15PM
yes.
roman
1/30/07 10:55:45PM
Hasn't really made me like MMA more, I've always loved it since I saw it. But I'm damn sure it did for people who have never seen MMA before.
crimethinc
1/31/07 2:25:28AM
No one can deny how beneficial TUF has been to UFC and MMA. If it wasn't for TUF, we wouldn't have MMA getting shown on broadcast TV every week. TUF led to things like Unleashed and Ultimate Fight Night which draws an insane amount of viewers every event. Reality TV is the most popular TV in America right now, and Dana White was able to capitalize on this. If there was no TUF there probably wouldn't be PPV events every month and smaller organizations like WEC and IFL would never even get broadcast. The average fan who doesn't really know MMA isn't going to pay $40 just to check it out. But a show like TUF can really capture a whole new audience of people. I haven't been with the UFC from the beginning but once they implemented the new rules (the standup rule for example) I absorbed as much as I could. Also TUF isn't just gaining new UFC fans. Fans of the show become fans of MMA and that includes Pride gaining a lot more exposure stateside. It does kind of annoy me when eighty percent of the names on a card are TUF alums, but any fight is better then no fight at all.
aceprone
1/31/07 2:53:17AM
Watching the Forrest and Stephen fight extemely sold me on the UFC. I was slowly getting into the UFC with a mutual friend of mine and hippysmackers, but I dove head first after the Forrest and Stephen fight. One thing that excites me about the growth of mma is that there is more people to talk to about it. For instance at my work, I was talking to an employee who doesn't know much about mma, to watch UFC 67. When all of a sudden this Co-worker butts in the conversation and says "I don't miss a payper view." When I turned to see who the co-worker was, it was a middle age women, who is one of the nicest and sweetest and conservative ladies you will ever meet, and I began to have "intellingent" coversation with her about the UFC. She knew about Pride, but not a whole lot, so the conversation we had was mostly about future and past UFC fights. She's a huge Randy Couture fan and can't wait to watch him fight again. I told her about this websight and so forth and she seemed extremely interested but she is a mother, so I don't know if she has time like I do, but it's great to know that there is middle age wife and mom at my work that I can talk too and have an "intelligent" conversation about mma.
ac_gi
1/31/07 3:13:37AM
"In your opinion, Has the Ultimate Fighter TV caused growth in your liking for MMA?"

Yes. I was a MMA fan before the show but after watching the show I found a place to train and become more involved in the sport. I love watching the fighters train and knowing something about the fighters, other than styles, helps make the UFC events more enjoyable. Pride should follow with a reality show... but I guess I would have to read subtitles.
hippysmacker
1/31/07 5:39:22AM

Posted by ac_gi

"In your opinion, Has the Ultimate Fighter TV caused growth in your liking for MMA?"

Yes. I was a MMA fan before the show but after watching the show I found a place to train and become more involved in the sport. I love watching the fighters train and knowing something about the fighters, other than styles, helps make the UFC events more enjoyable. Pride should follow with a reality show... but I guess I would have to read subtitles.

I'd read the subtitles, I'm sure it would be well worth it. Also, More free MMA is always a good thing.
Svartorm
1/31/07 5:57:45AM
Honestly, it has made me like MMA more, although I loved it before. Before TUF, I knew a handful of people who liked MMA, so conversations on the topic were rare, but now there are tons of people who are interested in the sport. They might not be knowledgable yet, but I still like talking about it. The only downside to the growth are the legions of wanna-be fighters walking around the gyms and dojos, but that'll come out in the wash eventually.
Jeffanori-Gomi
1/31/07 1:11:24PM
TUF sure did make a lot of MMA fans but if they keep having crappy seasons like "the comeback" they sure are going to lose a lot of people.

I really think they should change the rules to allow knees to the head on the ground, then wrestlers cant dominate the takedown without realizing the reprecussions of a knee to the face.
aceprone
1/31/07 1:32:54PM

Posted by Svartorm

Honestly, it has made me like MMA more, although I loved it before. Before TUF, I knew a handful of people who liked MMA, so conversations on the topic were rare, but now there are tons of people who are interested in the sport. They might not be knowledgable yet, but I still like talking about it. The only downside to the growth are the legions of wanna-be fighters walking around the gyms and dojos, but that'll come out in the wash eventually.

That is true about the growth of the sport, is all the wannabe fighters out there. I've met some "cage fighters," that shouldn't be doing the sport. It's fine if they want to fight but some people out there give it a bad name because they just want to brawl and look cool amongst their friends. They probably train the day before their local show fight and probably have a record of 1-12, but they're passing around their buisness cards like they're top knotch. So I can't wait for the sport to wash these guys out.
hippysmacker
1/31/07 3:34:03PM

Posted by aceprone

Posted by Svartorm

That is true about the growth of the sport, is all the wannabe fighters out there. I've met some "cage fighters," that shouldn't be doing the sport. It's fine if they want to fight but some people out there give it a bad name because they just want to brawl and look cool amongst their friends. They probably train the day before their local show fight and probably have a record of 1-12, but they're passing around their buisness cards like they're top knotch. So I can't wait for the sport to wash these guys out.

True that. I know a guy from the gym who I saw on a king of the cage DVD, and it was the last guy I wouldhave ever thought would be a fighter. Evidenced by his lack of skill, and boring LnP, I was shocked to hear im brag about it. However, you gota give some props to anybody who steps in there and put's it on the line.
Unkoman
1/31/07 5:06:21PM
The tuf series has been great for MMa and if an undercard fighter who has made his way in undercard fights wants to capitalize on the tuf fame, all he has to do is demolish an tuf star.