Poll: What is your opinion on "kid" MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Poll: What is your opinion on "kid" MMA?
POLL: How do you feel about it?
There's nothing wrong with it 49% (24)
I'm on the fence about it 35% (17)
I completely disagree with it 16% (8)
Copenhagen
3/31/08 8:00:33PM
There was a news post a few days ago with a video about "MMA for kids." At work today I even heard radio DJ's talking about it (of course, giving bad reviews.) I was wondering how everyone's opinions, on playground, looked on a poll.

I feel there is nothing wrong with it. IMO if you are against this then, in some what, your against kids training in any discipline. Most people don't have a problem with kid's sparring in taekwondo, karate, competing in wrestling, BJJ. Yet, when it's all thrown together, it's suddenly wrong.
kofranklin
3/31/08 8:05:58PM
I dont think there is anything wrong with It. It is no different then a kid playing football or soccer or hockey. It is a sport.
Ordep
3/31/08 8:18:18PM

I agree with it, but would modify rules and put certain restrictions. For example, no elbows, young skin is easier to damage and we don't want our future stars already full of scar tissue when they debut. That and some others.
Copenhagen
3/31/08 8:49:48PM

Posted by Ordep

I agree with it, but would modify rules and put certain restrictions. For example, no elbows, young skin is easier to damage and we don't want our future stars already full of scar tissue when they debut. That and some others.

I think that is actually part of the rules. They are also required to where sparring helmets, shin pads, gloves (by gloves I mean sparring gloves, not MMA gloves.)
skatenate
3/31/08 8:56:26PM
i totally agree with this, considering im 16. but of course there would have to be some alterctaions of rules. id sign up in a second
p_unit23
3/31/08 9:14:21PM
I don't think kids in MMA gives out a negative image at all. I don't encourage little kids to fight but if they wanna do it, they should go for it. I think they learn a lot of discipline from it though so they can control themselves and not be little babys like most of them are. I'd say im undecided. You don't usually see little kids putting eachother in armbars and such, so its a good and bad thing...but i do like to see a good fight!! Its a sport like any other sport, so why not?
Basshandsome
3/31/08 11:15:59PM
I am kind of against it. I mean I don't think that kids at the age of 6-14 have enough training to compete. I also don't think that they understand what they are truly doing. By this I mean they probably don't understand that its a sport and may carry this behaviour outside of the cage(ring). Many of the younger ones are most likely pushed into it by there parents and don't have the ability to say no (as kids of that age live to please people in authority).

Any kid under 12 should not be participating in MMA and I dont fully agree with MMA for kids 13-16 either but I don't think its as bad as a 6 year old. I have no problem with them training in Martial Arts but I dont think they should be put into fights until about 16 where they understand the sport, have self control, they consent themselves, and years of training.
wolfman
4/1/08 12:09:08AM

Posted by Basshandsome

I am kind of against it. I mean I don't think that kids at the age of 6-14 have enough training to compete. I also don't think that they understand what they are truly doing. By this I mean they probably don't understand that its a sport and may carry this behaviour outside of the cage(ring). Many of the younger ones are most likely pushed into it by there parents and don't have the ability to say no (as kids of that age live to please people in authority).

Any kid under 12 should not be participating in MMA and I dont fully agree with MMA for kids 13-16 either but I don't think its as bad as a 6 year old. I have no problem with them training in Martial Arts but I dont think they should be put into fights until about 16 where they understand the sport, have self control, they consent themselves, and years of training.

Well said, props to you. I agree, they can train in MMA as you mentioned. However, I think they should not be allowed to fight at such a young age as they still have a lot of years to go before their brains have fully developed. A concussion at a young age could be devastating and traumatic to their brain. Which would lead them to more problems down the road. This is just my two cents.
Kpro
4/1/08 1:51:08AM
I am for it.

But if the kids cut easy there should be mandatory shaving of the eyebrow bone via surgical procedure.

No one likes a kid MMA fight to end by cut either.
wolfman
4/1/08 1:57:06AM

Posted by Kpro

I am for it.

But if the kids cut easy there should be mandatory shaving of the eyebrow bone via surgical procedure.

chubbud22
4/1/08 2:37:44AM
I think they shold stick to grappling contests until a certain age; I dont think 5 year old kids should be doing full contact fighting.
cloppio
4/1/08 3:07:36AM

Posted by Kpro

I am for it.

brutal, just brutal! i love it! lol
BloodReign
4/1/08 5:44:11AM
WAR CHILDREN!!!!! nobody is forcing them to, they want to, hell yeah, the next UFC champs right here
Twenty20Dollars
4/1/08 8:57:56AM
there is a difference its and unprotected sport for kids, it needs to be 18 and up like it should be. They have gloves and mouth pieces other sports have more protection. And it's just not as fun to watch and wouldnt be a hit with the public like adult mma. to the general public.
jiujitsufreak74
4/1/08 9:45:32AM
i am on the fence about it personally. i have absolutley 0 problems with kids training MMA, doing the workouts, practicing strikes, learning submissions or rolling. where my problem is is in the competitions. i believe that the sport is too brutal to allow kids under at least 15 to participate in actually competitions. damage to the body at key groing periods could be detrimental for the kids and i believe that even with restrictions it is still quite dangerous. however my feelings aren't that strong about it but i would still feel uneasy about allowing 10 or 11 year olds participating in matches.
pv3Hpv3p
4/1/08 9:54:17AM
I guess the question would be if the kids are doing in a structured environment, some sort of training center or something... Or if they're doing it in their back yards with dad "watching over them", after he had a couple too many budweisers on a saturday afternoon...

there needs to be a definite line drawn, for children especially, so that they know the difference between MMA as a sport and fighting in real life situations...

I took martial arts as a kid, and don't see anything wrong with it... It helps with discipline and is healthy... But there was always a stress on martial arts as an benign activity, and once you lose that it can be a dangerous thing...

So I guess if I had to vote yes or no, I'd vote no... There are plenty of martial arts/wrestling/even boxing that kids can do in a controlled and somewhat safe environment, besides I think there's something to be said about establishing a solid base of knowledge in a single, or even multiple, disciplines before putting your "entire game" together, so to speak especially at a really young age...
AchillesHeel
4/1/08 11:48:19AM
I voted "there's nothing wrong with it", but I should have voted "I'm on the fence" because I think are a lot of caveats. I agree that MMA for kids should be treated like any other sport for kids. For example, some Little League baseball organizations discourage, or even bar, their coaches from teaching kids to throw a curveball.

Posted by Basshandsome

Actually, I would say this is a good argument for having licensed schools run by people who know how to teach kids. It's the kids who "play WWE and UFC" in their back yards who are (probably) more likely to hurt themselves.

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I guess the question would be if the kids are doing in a structured environment, some sort of training center or something... Or if they're doing it in their back yards with dad "watching over them", after he had a couple too many budweisers on a saturday afternoon...

Exactly. If a young kid has watched MMA (which may itself be a dubious parental decision) and is interested in trying it, I think the worst thing would be for him to try to put his friend in an arm-bar on the playground at school.
jiujitsufreak74
4/1/08 7:31:37PM
well if you guys haven't already seen the competitions that feature 12 year old kids here it is: LINK

it just gives me an uneasy feeling. again i am all for them training under proper supervision but the actual fights make me feel a little awkward.
Mchubb316
4/1/08 7:35:45PM
Kid MMA would be a good thing in my opinion. They allow kids to do all sorts of martial arts, wrestling, football.... Modified rules, as already mentioned, and couple that with people who know what they are doing, this could be a positive thing for young kids to get involved with.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/1/08 8:29:32PM
this is gonna be good, assuming the proper measures are taken to keep it safe
AchillesHeel
4/2/08 10:23:27AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well if you guys haven't already seen the competitions that feature 12 year old kids here it is: LINK

it just gives me an uneasy feeling. again i am all for them training under proper supervision but the actual fights make me feel a little awkward.

Yeah, wow, that made me a little queasy too...

A-hole.
cowcatcher
4/2/08 10:39:35AM
someone mentioned the wwe/ufc style backyard screwing around as a bad thing, and this is 100% true. i realize that they are training in a secure environment, but these are F'N kids, do you really think that once practice is over they arent going to go and do this stuff at home? youre either very naive, or VERY stupid if you think that it ends at the gym, so therefore this isnt a good idea for any kid thats not at least in high school, and even that may be a stretch, maybe 16 or so would be an even more appropriate age. kids dont have the ability to shut it off that quickly, i have a teenage son who is a very well behaved kid, and one hell of a wrestler(thanks dad) and i find myself having to tell him and his friends that they cant bring that home with them because they want to grapple even after practice is over. kids will get hurt, especially when unsupervised and a lot of these states that are now starting to ease up and allow MMA featuring trained professionals are going to have second thoughts really quickly when a kid ends up with permanent damage or, even worse, dead. i dont want to see the growth of the sport hurt by stupidity, let them take wrestling or tae kwon do or something thats already gotten broad acceptance rather than a fledgling sport that is still haviing trouble gaining acceptance in many circles.
AchillesHeel
4/2/08 11:00:30AM

Posted by cowcatcher

someone mentioned the wwe/ufc style backyard screwing around as a bad thing, and this is 100% true. i realize that they are training in a secure environment, but these are F'N kids, do you really think that once practice is over they arent going to go and do this stuff at home? youre either very naive, or VERY stupid if you think that it ends at the gym, so therefore this isnt a good idea for any kid thats not at least in high school, and even that may be a stretch, maybe 16 or so would be an even more appropriate age. kids dont have the ability to shut it off that quickly, i have a teenage son who is a very well behaved kid, and one hell of a wrestler(thanks dad) and i find myself having to tell him and his friends that they cant bring that home with them because they want to grapple even after practice is over.

Right, this is exactly why kids need supervision. Barring them from getting it would be foolish, imo. The backyard shenanigans are going to happen either way, so the question isn't whether kids will be interested in MMA, the question is whether they have qualified adults around, as your son evidently does.

Posted by cowcatcher

kids will get hurt, especially when unsupervised and a lot of these states that are now starting to ease up and allow MMA featuring trained professionals are going to have second thoughts really quickly when a kid ends up with permanent damage or, even worse, dead. i dont want to see the growth of the sport hurt by stupidity, let them take wrestling or tae kwon do or something thats already gotten broad acceptance rather than a fledgling sport that is still haviing trouble gaining acceptance in many circles.

This is a separate issue, I think, but an important point. If people are reluctant to accept a new idea, it's usually counter-productive to shove it down their throat. If MMA matches for kids is going to revive the "human cock-fighting" hysteria - which hasn't entirely gone away - then it might be premature.
gsquat
4/2/08 11:11:49AM
Their heads and shins are padded. They're fine. Besides, I watched how hard their strikes were. There is no way they're goin to be knocked out by anything other than falling down and hitting their heads (which can happen in any sport). So long as its drilled into their little heads that this is not to used in any way outside of the sport, it fine.
jiujitsufreak74
4/2/08 2:15:41PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Yeah, wow, that made me a little queasy too...

A-hole.

well there actually is a video i saw posted in the forums here of 12 year olds competing in MMA. but i didn't have the link so i threw in the old rickroll