YOUR OPINION: Under-appreciated musicians?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » YOUR OPINION: Under-appreciated musicians?
Next Page »
emfleek
1/21/09 1:42:02PM
1.) Stevie Wonder - Most people associate Stevie Wonder with "I Just Called To Say I Love You" but there's so much more beyond that. It took me years to discover his music, but I love it now.

2.) Talking Heads - Do yourself a favor and check 'em out if you're not familiar. David Byrne is great!

3.) Primus - Even if you're not a fan of the lyrics, listen for Les Claypool's bass playing abilities.
wiggum
1/21/09 1:44:04PM
ten years after

eddie vedder

cunninglynguists
tuvok500
1/21/09 1:49:17PM
Mr. Pointu

Bob la cuillere

Norman L'Amour : la poigner de porte !!!

WWBJD
1/21/09 1:49:32PM
system of a down

john frusciante

les claypool is by the THE most under appreciated musician there is, IMO of course
Bowen50
1/21/09 1:58:53PM
agreed on Les Claypool
Incubus
Dave Grohl
Tom Morello
cowcatcher
1/21/09 2:11:55PM

Posted by Bowen50

Dave Grohl

gotta agree here, everything he touches turns to gold, also fleek hit it on the head with stevie wonder and the talking head, both are fantastic.
Aaronno9
1/21/09 2:37:46PM
Dallas Green.
SmileR
1/21/09 3:21:49PM
Ocean colour scene- They are a british band that came out around the same time as Oasis so people didn't take much notice of them but they are awesome! Here's one of there best songs... The riverboat song

Also Amy Winehouse is amazing, people tend to get caught up on the fact that she is one of the worst drug addicts ever, but the girl has a amazing voice. Just listen to some of her songs an forget who she is an you'll be amazed at how good she actually is... You know I'm no good

Also couldn't agree more with the Stevie Wonder post!
Wolfenstein
1/21/09 3:25:05PM
Probably the guitarist in just about every band, as the frontman usually gets all the attention.

Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci (Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment)
Neal Schon (Santana, Journey)
Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society)
Kirk Hammet (Metallica)

Khaos
1/21/09 3:49:43PM
Cannibal Corpse, a lot of the death metal fan I know aren't in to CC, but they ARE american death metal, they pretty much made it popular.

Also I think Carcass is alittle underappreciated.

And though I like them, Six Feet Under(since 13) are a bit overrated.
dannyfrank
1/21/09 4:02:10PM

Posted by Bowen50

Tom Morello

yes
Bowen50
1/21/09 4:05:50PM
Soundgarden doesn't get the credit they deserve. they're one of the god fathers of grunge. each one of the guys in the band is ridiculously talented at what they do. Chris Cornell, in my opinion, is the greatest rock singer of all time.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

cowcatcher
1/21/09 4:17:27PM
buford carter, the drummer from dave matthews band. ok maybe an mma board isnt the place where dave matthews fans generally congregate, but if you get a chance listen to this guy play. he switches times seamlessly and often, and just has a natural talent for hitting things to form a beat.
wiggum
1/21/09 4:32:27PM

Posted by Bowen50

Soundgarden doesn't get the credit they deserve. they're one of the god fathers of grunge. each one of the guys in the band is ridiculously talented at what they do. Chris Cornell, in my opinion, is the greatest rock singer of all time.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

tried to give you props, must spread the love

i love soundgarden, all time fav....love grunge, originally from just north of seattle and most my family still lives there, so definitaly got my share of them.....post soundgarden chris cornell pisses me off tho.....first audioslave album i thought was awesome (maybe i loved it so much cuz it was two of my fav bands basically coming together), but the rest of them (can you say creed-type albums) plus cornells solo efforts i think are extremely dissapointing.....kinda like paul mcartny going from the beatles to wings.....but man, to get over it, i just put in badmotorfinger and remeber the good ole days
Bowen50
1/21/09 4:50:17PM

Posted by wiggum

Posted by Bowen50

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

tried to give you props, must spread the love

i love soundgarden, all time fav....love grunge, originally from just north of seattle and most my family still lives there, so definitaly got my share of them.....post soundgarden chris cornell pisses me off tho.....first audioslave album i thought was awesome (maybe i loved it so much cuz it was two of my fav bands basically coming together), but the rest of them (can you say creed-type albums) plus cornells solo efforts i think are extremely dissapointing.....kinda like paul mcartny going from the beatles to wings.....but man, to get over it, i just put in badmotorfinger and remeber the good ole days

exactly my thoughts man. Audioslaves first album was awesome and i was so psyched because i love Soundgarden and Rage. the other 2 albums had some decent songs but as a whole sucked. and Cornell's new solo project is just a travesty.
loller90278
1/21/09 7:38:05PM
i think p4p the best lyricist on planet earth is apathy.

i don't even listen to hip hop (mainstream or underground) too much anymore, but i still rock apathy's cd daily.

link to his song "checkmate"
urbman
1/21/09 11:53:22PM

Posted by Bowen50

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

I couldn't agree more..
Mungooch
1/22/09 6:35:54AM
Brent Smith from Shinedown their cover of simple man is fukin omega awesome. I want to see them live but they arn't well known down under
ohiostate1016
1/22/09 9:54:25AM
Tool. Eric Clapton (probably the best musician of all-time IMO). Incubus. Just about any old, old, old blues musician (Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc).

I could go on and on...
emfleek
1/22/09 10:43:26AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Just about any old, old, old blues musician (Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc).

I could go on and on...

Agreed.

Howlin' Wolf
Muddy Waters
T-Model Ford
Junior Kimbrough
Etta James
etc.
etc.
etc.
pv3Hpv3p
1/22/09 2:46:58PM
One name... Mark Knopfler... Maybe the most underrated guitarist of all time...

Slick Knopfler solo

Knkopfler's the MAN!
StorminYourman
1/22/09 3:23:53PM
Mike Patton.
Been in some awesome bands.

To me should be nicknamed Mr. Rock n Roll

Hi is EPIC
TheCatFather
1/22/09 4:32:03PM
Iggy Pop.
DJDark41
1/22/09 8:05:34PM
Paul Gilbert. Although he is frequently discussed amongst the guitar-players and true rock appreciators, I feel like no one outside of that have any idea who he is. Any, if you are one of the unlucky souls who has yet have their ears blessed by the fantasticness of Paul Gilbert, go listen to him right now. The Curse of Castle Dragon, Guitars That Rule The World, Scarified(Racer X technically, but its Paul Gilbert on guitar).

And also, Dimebag Darrell. Now, if you are a Pantera fan you know who he is. However, outside of Pantera fans, no one really knows who is he. Dimebag created the style that every modern metal guitarist and their brother now plays. Crazy-high pinch harmonics, ridiculous tremolo use, and countless other techniques. He is by far, in my opinion, the single most under-rated metal musician of all time.
Kpro
1/22/09 11:21:26PM
My personal most under-appreciated of all time would be Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon.

rvilla7986
1/23/09 4:52:32AM
Easy... Ryan Martinie best bass evA! also dave mustaine=riff master lyric master. tool is most underated band by far. Primus Sucks!
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/23/09 8:20:55AM
John Petrucci's solo stuff

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Billy Sheehan
TheCatFather
1/23/09 1:26:04PM
I see you lost an Avatar bet Downunder.
nastshabast
1/23/09 6:04:11PM
TVOTR

To be fair they are starting to get some recognition, but I still think they should be nominated for album of theyear and win!!
Jackelope
1/23/09 6:15:51PM

Posted by cowcatcher

buford carter, the drummer from dave matthews band. ok maybe an mma board isnt the place where dave matthews fans generally congregate, but if you get a chance listen to this guy play. he switches times seamlessly and often, and just has a natural talent for hitting things to form a beat.

My brother is way into music and he works a lot of venues doing behind the scenes stuff. He is far from a Dave Matthews Band fan, but he said watching this guy play is one of the most amazing things he's ever seen. He said he got to sit in on a practice session and that if the guy played with even half of his talent on stage he'd be revered as the greatest drummer ever. Too bad he only plays with a quarter of it, though, because that's all the band allows him to do.

I'm not a huge DMB fan, but their older stuff really got me hooked back in the day for a bit.

edit: Also, go figure I'm a huge Dave Grohl fan, too.
Pages: [1] 2