Open Weight Class Fights

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Open Weight Class Fights
Wolfenstein
1/24/09 2:07:43AM
Miguel Torres vs WW?
BJ Penn vs LHW?
GSP vs HW?

If these three were to fight in an open weight match, who would be the best guy they could beat?

grappler0000
1/24/09 2:21:30AM
Miguel Torres vs WW? Jake Shields
BJ Penn vs LHW? Rashad Evans
GSP vs HW? Frank Mir

Stylistically, I could see all of those actually happening.

cj_striker
1/24/09 10:52:47AM
Torres-Shields or Parisyan, and Condit would be a great fight.

B.J.-I would love to see him beat Evans, but honestly I'm not to sure what top ten guy I would say he could straight up beat, but I'm sure after Randy Couture said that B.J. was one of the hardest men he ever tried to take down and how much praise he gave him, I definitely feel he could beat at least a few of them.

GSP-grapplerooooo, GSP could not beat Mir, or for that matter most any top ten HW, the size advantage would be too great, because GSP uses his athleticism to out muscle his opponents, GSP's style doesn't match up good to go up in weight that high (like how B.J.'s does.) Don't get me wrong GSP is an all around great fighter and one of the four or five best fighters working the planet right now, but it's just ridiculous to think that GSP could handle someone who would walk in the ring weighing like 270 or 290 even.
jiujitsufreak74
1/24/09 10:58:05AM

Posted by cj_striker

Torres-Shields or Parisyan, and Condit would be a great fight.

B.J.-I would love to see him beat Evans, but honestly I'm not to sure what top ten guy I would say he could straight up beat, but I'm sure after Randy Couture said that B.J. was one of the hardest men he ever tried to take down and how much praise he gave him, I definitely feel he could beat at least a few of them.

GSP-grapplerooooo, GSP could not beat Mir, or for that matter most any top ten HW, the size advantage would be too great, because GSP uses his athleticism to out muscle his opponents, GSP's style doesn't match up good to go up in weight that high (like how B.J.'s does.) Don't get me wrong GSP is an all around great fighter and one of the four or five best fighters working the planet right now, but it's just ridiculous to think that GSP could handle someone who would walk in the ring weighing like 270 or 290 even.

no way anyone is walking in there at 290, but i agree with you. the weight difference between WW and HW is greater than the other match ups and it would be hard for GSP to coupe. i could see GSP beating Gonzaga though, he would keep it on the feet and use his quickness to exploit the very powerful but predictable striking of Gonzaga. i also see GSP defeating Werdum for the same reasons i mentioned for Gonzaga.
SpiderSilva
1/24/09 11:26:46AM
Ithink GSP can beat eddie sanchez
cj_striker
1/24/09 11:43:32AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

no way anyone is walking in there at 290, but i agree with you. the weight difference between WW and HW is greater than the other match ups and it would be hard for GSP to coupe. i could see GSP beating Gonzaga though, he would keep it on the feet and use his quickness to exploit the very powerful but predictable striking of Gonzaga. i also see GSP defeating Werdum for the same reasons i mentioned for Gonzaga.

Maybe not 290, but Lesnar could probably walk in the cage around 280 definitely.
StriderXero
1/24/09 12:07:33PM
GSP would leave Kimbo twitching on the floor.
Pookie
1/24/09 1:57:13PM
I really dont think Torres could beat Shields.

His grappling and top game are too good as it is, not to mention 35 lbs difference on top of that.