Olympics, I DO NOT give a shit.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Olympics, I DO NOT give a shit.
Next Page »
ghandikush
7/28/12 2:50:05PM
Anyone else? I mean theres a certain spectacle to watching the most elite competition in the world..... But this whole united thing is nonsense, half the really poor nations wont have televisions to watch their athletes lose on TV

Not exactly fair.....

What aspect brings you to the games if you are really interested.
Gogoplatapus
7/28/12 2:59:44PM
Zero hockey = Zero fucks

I follow enough sports already. Don't get me wrong, I respect the athletes and the spirit of it all, but I could care less if this was the last Olympics ever.
airkerma
7/28/12 3:01:32PM
I am a huge fan of the Olympics, but I get part of what you're saying about the less fortunate nations. Have you seen those Visa "Go World" commercials? Almost all of them are about American athletes, makes me chuckle when it ends with "Go World". I swam 8 years varsity, so I really like the swimming. I played badminton for a few years as well so that kills it, plus beach volleyball is always exciting. Some events are goofy, no debate there, but overall it is exciting for exactly the reason you noted: this is the most elite competition and even though some of those more poor nations won't be able to watch their athlete perform, that person can still represent them and make them proud. I think it is a great event, and puts the spotlight on those who are incredibly talented, but more often than not make next to nothing for all of their achievements.
DancingDoll
7/28/12 3:12:37PM
I love seeing what the human body can do, after extensive specialized training in a discipline and at the peak of elite level performance. These athletes train sooo hard for just a few minutes in many cases to compete with the best in the world - that gets total respect from me.

A finely tuned uber-athlete can do some pretty amazing things, so yeah - I love to watch.
Shawn91111
7/28/12 3:21:42PM
Ill watch off and on but not glued to it like I was as a kid.
george112
7/28/12 3:27:16PM
What always gets me to watch is just the sheer thought that all these countries send athletes to compete with one another to see who is the best.

It's hard to explain a little bit.
pmoney
7/28/12 3:59:27PM
I love the Olympics. To me, it represents the pinnacle of human competition, and what sportsmanship should be. Too bad one athlete already got busted for doping!

Think About it though: if you are the best athlete in your high school, you want to win your district. Then your conference. Then state. Then you go to college. You are facing all the guys who were the best in their high school, state, etc. You want to beat those athletes. You want to be the best in your division, and hopefully the best in the united states in your weight class. You then go on to the olympics. Every person you face will be arguably the best in their ENTIRE COUNTRY, trying to compete for the honor of best athlete in the world in your respective sport.

While my analogy isn't laid out too cleanly, I feel the sentiment holds true for all the sports in which the athletes in the olympics compete.
emfleek
7/28/12 4:25:36PM
I give more fucks about what my shit is going to look like when I'm dropping a load.
kopower
7/28/12 4:53:56PM
They make for good background noise. Not that interested in them either. I prefer the Winter Olympics.
shaneTpain
7/28/12 5:43:24PM
honestly i could care less about the olympics but this morn i turned on beach volleyball & let me tell ya.. i was VERY interested for a while there
emfleek
7/28/12 6:04:08PM

Posted by shaneTpain

i was VERY interested for a while there

about 45 seconds?
infestructure
7/28/12 6:22:40PM
I like watching the exciting events, but think the nationalism is too much. New Zealand didn't win the gold - the human being won it.

The Olympics is just one big playground for bigger nations to establish bragging rights.

Do they even have MMA? I looked it up just then. They don't - but I found a good quote from an article...

Sports like Karate and Jiu Jitsu still are not in the Olympics. Sports like Equestrian Dressage and Rhythmic Gymnastics still are. Not everything about the Olympics is perfect, or perfectly fair. But things change. Just ask the US Olympic Tug-of-War team of 1904
prophecy033
7/28/12 6:27:00PM

Posted by kopower

They make for good background noise. Not that interested in them either. I prefer the Winter Olympics.

I'm the opposite, I like the Summer games more than the Winter. I'm a big Basketball fan so that swayed me a bit along with the Judo. Currently I'm watching women's Volleyball, USA vs Korea. I have to say this is far more entertaining than Baseball. Don't get me wrong, I like Baseball bit I only watch it live or highlights, i can't watch it on tv for 3 hours
ghandikush
7/28/12 8:36:53PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by kopower

I'm the opposite, I like the Summer games more than the Winter. I'm a big Basketball fan so that swayed me a bit along with the Judo. Currently I'm watching women's Volleyball, USA vs Korea. I have to say this is far more entertaining than Baseball. Don't get me wrong, I like Baseball bit I only watch it live or highlights, i can't watch it on tv for 3 hours

I like winter for bobsled and ski fun. Boxing and Judo are summer though as is wrestling.
tcunningham
7/28/12 10:13:07PM
it seems like they only show a very small part of it all. wrestling is hard to find, same with judo. thats really all i care about.
Pookie
7/28/12 10:17:02PM

Posted by ghandikush

Anyone else? I mean theres a certain spectacle to watching the most elite competition in the world..... But this whole united thing is nonsense, half the really poor nations wont have televisions to watch their athletes lose on TV

Yeah, but how do you really feel?
Chael_Sonnen
7/28/12 11:02:45PM
I mean, c'mon, who doesn't like tape delayed events with spoilers leaking every second
ghandikush
7/28/12 11:14:32PM

Posted by tcunningham

it seems like they only show a very small part of it all. wrestling is hard to find, same with judo. thats really all i care about.

No enjoyment for boxing? They show all of that sport.
Pskinner_mma314
7/28/12 11:30:28PM
Initial response: so don't watch.

Taekwondo, judo, swimming, track and field, basketball, boxing, and womens gymnastics and court volleyball do it for me.
ghandikush
7/28/12 11:58:50PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by ghandikush

Yeah, but how do you really feel?

all right there lol
Aether
7/29/12 12:24:18AM
Yeah I don't really care either. Some of the spectator sports that they have like boxing, hockey, etc. are entertaining, but I just can't get excited about people running in a straight line, jumping over a stick, or any of the other various mundane tasks that comprise most of the olympic events.

I get why people would be interested to see athletes at the pinnacle of their given discipline, but I need some kind of strategy-based competition to get excited about, the athleticism isn't really what interests me. Probably why I hate fighters who use terrible gameplans in MMA, now that I think of it. The strategy aspect is what entertains me about any kind of competition.
MMAcca
7/29/12 4:40:31AM
Here in the UK we have 27 channels dedicated to the Olympics!

Every event is being shown live in it's entirity....

I will watch certain events, just not everything.
jjeans
7/29/12 6:10:42AM
I was gonna bash a lot of your guys comments but I decided if you don't like it don't watch it

You might not give a shit but people do so just let it go
ghandikush
7/29/12 6:47:03AM

Posted by jjeans

I was gonna bash a lot of your guys comments but I decided if you don't like it don't watch it

seems a bit harsh, you need a dooby.
cowcatcher
7/29/12 7:28:59AM
When else am I going to watch fencing or handball or a bunch of other sports I would never see normally? I like the games, I like sports, so I have no complaints.
VILLIN
7/29/12 7:32:22AM

Posted by jjeans

Good advice if not for the fact that the god damn media is covering the games seemingly to the exclusion of all else. I don't mind the games themselves, I just don't like that it is so thoroughly shoved down our throats on a constant basis.
thevoodooninja
7/29/12 8:48:51AM
the womens fencing was pretty good yesterday,
prozacnation1978
7/29/12 9:44:08AM
I don't think i have ever watched any Olympics in my life on tv
jjeans
7/29/12 12:13:12PM
The majority of you are from America?!!!?! You embrace national spirit like there's no tomorrow. You celebrate independence day you love the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA. But yet you as soon as its not your state and it's a national team you don't show an interest? Your country doesn't compete in many national sports such as football, rugby, cricket or compete at the level other nations do. And yet your countries out there doing a really good job at athletics etc and cause its not happening in your state it's like you don't even care?

Am I missing something here?

All this thread is about to me is people living in there own little bubble, most likely contradicting there own lifestyle

Please tell me I'm wrong and give me an answer.
prophecy033
7/29/12 2:09:27PM
The problem is Jay that most the sports that are dominating the station aren't the ones I care to see. The only one I watch on a regular basis is basketball. Sure ill watch a little swimming and I did watch USA v SKorea women's vball yesterday but for the most part they really don't interest me in the slightest. Now that doesn't mean I dont want America to wipe the floor with all the other countries, we normally have the most medals at the games end but the schedule seems to be geared toward an older demographic
Pages: [1] 2