Olympic gold medalist Jeff Blatnick dies

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Olympic gold medalist Jeff Blatnick dies
machodog76
10/24/12 3:42:10PM
NISKAYUNA - NewsChannel13 has confirmed that Olympic gold medalist Jeff Blatnick from Niskayuna has died following complications from heart surgery.
Sad day for MMA this guy was one of the biggest proponents for MMA in the dark days. R.I.P
FastKnockout
10/24/12 4:05:30PM
I never knew about him but if he played as big of a role in MMA as everyone says he did then he will be missed.
tcunningham
10/24/12 4:23:39PM
bummer. i havent heard of him in the MMA world before this but i have heard of him in the wrestling community
Goatenstein
10/24/12 4:59:10PM
I'm fucking sick to my stomach. RIP
Budgellism
10/24/12 5:37:43PM
Terrible news

RIP Blatnick
thevoodooninja
10/24/12 5:50:52PM
horrible
bootyclause
10/24/12 6:01:18PM
"it's called the TK guard"

wasn't he also still active as a judge just recently? crazy.
warglory
10/24/12 6:25:36PM
Wow, I'm surprised there are people who have never heard of Jeff. He called like, 30 UFC events during the dark days. He used to call with Goldie I think, before Rogan took over. He was the first and pretty much only commentator during the early days who knew anything about the ground game.

This is terrible news, and I think he should be inducted into the HOF for being a big part of the UFC, and such a proponent during the worst years.
sparky
10/24/12 6:51:49PM
I remember him from the days when he was UFC commentator next to Goldie and Joe Rogan was just running around backstage doing interviews like Ariel Helwani.

Rest In Peace Jeff

FastKnockout
10/24/12 8:10:55PM

Posted by warglory

Wow, I'm surprised there are people who have never heard of Jeff. He called like, 30 UFC events during the dark days. He used to call with Goldie I think, before Rogan took over. He was the first and pretty much only commentator during the early days who knew anything about the ground game.

This is terrible news, and I think he should be inducted into the HOF for being a big part of the UFC, and such a proponent during the worst years.

That explains why I haven't heard of him. I haven't watched a lot of the earlier events.
Sir_Karl
10/24/12 8:15:24PM
I am very surprised many MMA fans have never heard of him. Him and Bruce Beck were longtime UFC announcers. I guess I can't expect everyone to be a longtime hardcore fan like myself. Hell, the UFC started 19 years ago....some of the UFC's current fans weren't even born yet. Sad news though. I am sure his weight played a big part in his death.
SmileR
10/24/12 8:21:05PM
Damn, the guy was still relatively young too. I liked the guy from the old events I've watched and he was a pretty good judge too. He used to give out 10-10 rounds when they were deserved. MMA will miss him.

RIP.
Konichiwa317
10/25/12 12:17:39AM
Wow a really big loss for mma
fullerene
10/25/12 11:04:07AM
RIP

He has a lot of roots into MMA. He was an Olympic gold medalist in Greco (although he had the good fortune of Karelin being on Boycott) and an announcer for the realistic UWFi pro wrestling that was a forerunner of Pancrase and Pride. He was an MMA judge up until recently and he worked hard to get the sport licensed under a uniform set of rules.

But, like a lot of old school fans, I'll remember him best for his call of the Severn-Gracie fight. It was definitely one of those "you had to be there" moments, but his naive confidence that Severn was destroying Gracie by having him pinned to the ground ("nothing there, nothing there") followed by his legitimate shock and appreciation when Royce finished is one of the most memorable moments for me in early nhb/mma.
MMA-San
10/26/12 3:33:16AM
RIP, a hero of mine
MMAcca
10/26/12 8:42:49AM
R.I.P
Biggavelli
10/26/12 8:48:56AM
R.I.P My thoughts go out to the family. I just lost my Grandma a couple weeks back, life is rough but we gotta stay strong and keep fighting.